Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Whats your worst reason for cancellation?

I had a customer today that wanted to cancel becuase the username he wanted was in use by a different customer. Whats your worst reason a customer ever cancelled?

Because they didn't like the colour of the CPanel theme we had. It's normally best just to let these kind of people go, because if they complain about something that small, goodness knows what they would say if you had a one minute outage. I tend to refer to these kind of people as "problem clients". Thankfully we don't have very many

Because they asked specifically for CPanel (said nothing else would do) then complained about lack of documentation, and the way it functioned (seemed stupid to me at least).

Also, customers who make up lies just to cancel, like "i decided to get a dedicated server" *cough* (on like a site pushing < 1gb/mo).
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Because the domain they just registered with us was not working after we sent their account details. (Five Minutes After Signup)
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

oops! i got another one! i just remembered...

Customer was actually cancelled by us, he was found to be attempting to setup a warez ftp on his server, and his excuse was "i thought you said dedicated servers were private!" (it was his arguement *not* to get cancelled )

Originally posted by porcupine

Also, customers who make up lies just to cancel, like "i decided to get a dedicated server" *cough* (on like a site pushing < 1gb/mo).
    Those are the best I should keep an archive lol
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Forgot to mention one more: Customer complaint plesk is to difficult to use?

Originally posted by ***********
    Forgot to mention one more: Customer complaint plesk is to difficult to use?
    That`s for sure
    Freelance designer, providing CHEAP and HIGH QUALITY designs.
    EMail: webmaster[at]phatronic.com
    Y! Messenger ID: phatronic - ICQ: 159396474
    Portfolio: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75511

oops! i got another one! i just remembered...

Customer was actually cancelled by us, he was found to be attempting to setup a warez ftp on his server, and his excuse was "i thought you said dedicated servers were private!" (it was his arguement *not* to get cancelled )
    And it took me sooooo long to upload Microsoft Office XP Professional up there

LOL

Ok, I had an IRC Hosting Client that signed up 29$/month - 30$ setup, then cancelled after 2 months cause "he could not afford it anymore" and after 2 days signed up again thus paying another 30$ setup fee

Don't you love people who don't understand setup fee's, the whole concept of them just vanish for them somehow, they'll pay like a $500 setup to avoid $20/mo or something rediculous .

Don't you love people who don't understand setup fee's, the whole concept of them just vanish for them somehow, they'll pay like a $500 setup to avoid $20/mo or something rediculous .
    The opposite actually. In my NY dedicated offers I had several people willing to pay/proposing to pay up to 40$/month more to avaid a 100$ setup fee...

Ok one more then (hehe, reminds me of my jokes forum *sniff*):
    Someone cancelled i.e. did not sign up cause his desired domain name was not available. He blamed it on me and he would "go somewhere, where they do not deny him his name"

now wouldn't that be a nasty scam, cheap hosting, domain hosting, business only, when people go to signup, steal their domain names..... Nah, someone's probably already doing that, i know it happened to where i used to work as the IT head, another rival company had their webdesigner steal their .com pretty funny to see, they brought out the whole array of lawyers, etc. and suddenly had interest in the net (they had a 56k link for 80 employee's, you know the type).

Because we couldn't read their mind :-)

Exclamation Cancellation

Because he thought I was Homer Simpson. When he found out that I was'nt, he cancelled!

MAX POWER
    COMPUTERS CAN DO THAT?
    http://www.computerscandothat.com

Because he changed his nameservers and blamed us for downtime.

Re: Cancellation

Originally posted by MAX POWER
    Because he thought I was Homer Simpson. When he found out that I was'nt, he cancelled!

MAX POWER
    Hey Homer! It's me, your son Bart! Can't you see me? Here, here!

I don't understand why you would document reasons for cancellation as "bad". Customers have the right to cancel their account for any reason. If their reason is stupid, what else can you do? If it's not, then you may consider that as some sort of feedback.

I don't think a user cancelling an account because he/she can't have a username is an invalid reason. It may sound too much, but it's a valid reason that may have a purpose.

Labeling subscribers as "problem clients" is bad because you don't know where to put the line. What if you're just an incompetent support person who can't answer simple question, or you have an attitude problem? You see, it could be two way, a problem host or a problem client.

Originally posted by virgil
    I don't understand why you would document reasons for cancellation as "bad". Customers have the right to cancel their account for any reason. If their reason is stupid, what else can you do? If it's not, then you may consider that as some sort of feedback.

I don't think a user cancelling an account because he/she can't have a username is an invalid reason. It may sound too much, but it's a valid reason that may have a purpose.

Labeling subscribers as "problem clients" is bad because you don't know where to put the line. What if you're just an incompetent support person who can't answer simple question, or you have an attitude problem? You see, it could be two way, a problem host or a problem client.
    Does everything around here have to get so serious? Customers are free to cancel because they don't like the color of my socks. Doesn't change the fact that it might be worth a chuckle a few months later.

Some people are just lame and like to host jump.
    So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." --Bill Murray Caddyshack

Originally posted by virgil

Theres always one :-(

I was quite enjoying this thread.

Originally posted by IT Hosting
    Because he changed his nameservers and blamed us for downtime.
    Same here, I have found that it's better to let these people just go in the long run. Funny thing is they ended up going over to Altelia for a couple weeks and re signed up..

We had one cancel last week. Didn't give a reason, though I suspect it was because he couldn't reach his site.

Understandable considering he'd been canned a week earlier for not paying his monthly fee, been sent 5 e-mails regarding his overdue amount, a suspension notice, and finally a cancellation notice. None of them bounced, and all were sent to the same e-mail address he requested closure from.

We informed him that we didn't have anything that needed doing to fulfill his request as it had been done a week previously. Signed it 'Best Regards' to hit send. Just kind of sat there shaking my head for a while.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I don't like the color of your socks! (or maybe it's the smell)

I have a personal site on one shared server that I have stayed with for almost three years, but I also have several other sites that needed a few more features. Finding the right one wasn't fun.
    Here are the reasons I have used:
    see eye host: I didn't lie. I also didn't cancel. I just closed my bank account, opened a new one, and changed my CC numbers. Then changed my nameservers.
    They have major issues in every department. Uptime, Security, Integrity, Billing. I knew it was a mistake as soon as I was set up and FTP'd in and could see the name of every website and email account on the server. Oh and you couldn't have webmaster@yourdomain if webmaster@someoneelsesdomain was being used. How stupid!

Rockethost: "Your webhosting no longer suits my needs as I really need cgi to work and I feel four months is long enough to wait. I wish you luck."
    Their cgi didn't work when I signed up. it still didn't work when I left four months later. Yes, I sent support tickets. Many people on their support board complained too. Those posts disappeared.
    Fortunately, I had a simular domain name (one letter diff), so when the other site was ready, I finally cancelled and parked that domain name.

Linuxweb: "I have no complaints, but the prices are too high for me to host all my sites here."
    I have several domains and tried one account with them. I liked it (anything was better than see eye host) but it would have been too expensive to have all my domains there. I still used it for testing for about two months after because I had simular domain names (one letter diff), so when the other site was ready, I finally cancelled and parked that domain name. They had also raised their prices before I left.

Thank goodness I have extra domain names. That way I can set up the site completely under one name, then cancel and park the other name with no downtime.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Porcupine:

I've actually done this.
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

Originally posted by hostpath.com

Porcupine:

I've actually done this.
    So that was you, eh?! j/k .

I can understand people moving sites to a dedicated server, a site that takes up 10mb space, and 200mb of bandwidth though (alone, no other sites), i don't buy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast