Why? Unlimited? Whats the deal?

Alright, I've noticed this and it kind bugs me a little bit.

I noticed that a large amout of hosts provide unlimited fatures such as Sub-Domains, POP3, MySQL etc etc

On the other hand I notice that some hosts offer Unlimited Space and Bandwidth.

Around the forums I notice people talking about unlimited being the biggest load of !, and I see huge ordeals of unlimited being brought up. But why is there no big deal about people offering unlimited features such as Sub-Domains, POP3, MySQL etc?

I'd like to here from the guys who do all them posts about unlimited nothing when they see hosts that offer unlimited Space/Bandwidth!

probably because those other features dont actually cost anything more besides having a potencially overloaded server.

Bandwidth is a lot of cost for host providers.

3. Like the above poster said. Bandwidth is extremely expensive. Subdomains and POP accounts are easy to add and take relatively no space on the server. Technically there is a limit to what you could have but not like bandwidth.

Please explain this sentence.......

"I'd like to here from the guys who do all them posts about unlimited nothing when they see hosts that offer unlimited Space/Bandwidth!"

It does not make much sense.

email, subdomains, etc can be unlimited because they are limited by the space/transfer of the account

Originally posted by rtsit
    Please explain this sentence.......

"I'd like to here from the guys who do all them posts about unlimited nothing when they see hosts that offer unlimited Space/Bandwidth!"

It does not make much sense.
    Well I'm surfing the forum and somebody posts something about their host offering Unlimited Space/Bandwidth, there is usually people in reply saying there is no such thing as unlimited. They say this about space and bandwidth but never say anything if somebody is offering unlimited POP3, Sub-domain, MyQSL etc.
    I would like to here their view on this.

as IT said, it can be done because they are limited by bandwidth/space. the consumer understands this, there's nothing deceiving about it. it can be done. however unlimited bandwidth/space is impossible and there is always a catch. you can't deliver on unlimited bandwidth.

actually this topic raged a few months ago (may have been a year ago now I think about it). It did strike a cord in me actually and we changed our own site from unlimited on the forwarding, aliases etc to 1000 instead.

Ironically, as unlimited is such a buzzword that has no real meaning anymore, using 1000 instead seems to impress people far more

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

So if your number isn't impressive, you should just say unlimited then?
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

pretty much. For all intents and purposes things such as mail forwarders and aliases can be virtually unlimited within the known disk space and transfer you offer on an account. The word itself has such a stigma now (mostly for very good reasons), that we just removed it totally from our website.

Can't say anyone has complained that they only get 1000 e-mail forwarders

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Interesting! Thanks for your replies guys.

yeah well i agree to this. With control pannels now a days where the user can setup their subdomains and emails it requires no work ont he host part so they dont need to limit. When it comes to bandwidth it cracks me up. But the funniest thing is the ones that say unlimted space. You tell me this...if a site has unlimted space then that means they have unlimted harddrives.....well saying they have a 100 gig drive once they fill that up they will have to stick you on anotehr drive and anotehr and you can only put so many drives into a computer. I really would like to find a unlimted space area and uplaod a few of my databases that are like 3 gigabytes and see if they still offer me the unlimted. Think about it....how do you manage to have unlimted drives in a machine. its not possible.

Originally posted by IT Hosting
    email, subdomains, etc can be unlimited because they are limited by the space/transfer of the account
    Well, technically, they aren't unlimited then, since there is a limit. By the same token then you could claim unlimited space and bandwidth, because they are limited by the size of the hdd and the server connection also.
    Unlimited sucks and should be banned
    You really shouldn't use unlimited anything, because it will come around to bite you sooner or later.

actualy the only thing limiting the person form giving you unlimited space is their money.

they can tie up plenty of servers together to give you as much space as you need or they can put these things that basically hold hard disk drives for the server. i think they are called scuzzy's or something like that.

The hosting industry just loves word "unlimited" especially when it comes to bandwidth. I'm getting sick and tired of those "unlimited" plans where only after you sign up you find out that this plan has a very limited bandwidth which is actually even less than for an average hosting service.

Host guys- stop fooling around! FOrget UNLIMITED! Tell your numbers and do not waste people's time looking at your UNLIMITED plans! If you say UNLIMITED than do not cry when I'm taking 2,000,000 Gb of bandwidth. Unlimited is unlimited or look up in a dictionary what unlimited means.