Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Ad forums - Sticky positions - WHT at its WORST!!!

I find these "sticky for sales" business repulsive and EXTREMELY lame... sorry but this is lowlight in its lowest form. And I am not saying this because it is RS board now or anything else you all might think right now...

I have enough cash to buy sticky's for the rest of my life. It is not that I am afraid to loose sales advantage...

I love this place but not as I used to. I have a proposal therefore, no bullcrap I MEAN IT:

I will donate VOLUNTARILY 50$ to headsurfer each month if this nonsense is cancelled and I call 7 others to do so as well so he gets the awaited revenue without doing this

I know this sounds odd but trust me on this. I have seen a lot of communties go crap for less. Banner ads are a different story but forum stickies is not included. You can as well start selling post counts or custom titles or bigger signature rights too then. I know this sounds far off but is is not

I LOVE WHT !!! I wnat this to STOP! TODAY! And I am willing to PAY for it!! Robert! Please reconsider!!!

I'm in! I'll pay $50!

[Forum Stickies]

I have to agree... When the content of the site is affected by the advertising, thats where you need to draw the line...

Its HS's forum, but still....
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Update:

I contacted the person behind hostnet and another one that sent me a PM (if he wants to be known he should reply here) and we already gathered 3 times 50$/per month donations in order to stop this.

As The Prohacker says: "When the content of the site is affected by the advertising, thats where you need to draw the line"

That is correct. WE are curently on sale. That is what al lmust understand.

I also understand Robert as he payed a lot of money for this joint and the maintenace costs him as well and I doubt the banners even cut his cost even.

BUT... not like this! 150$/month for WHT already!

It's Robert's forum. He can do what he likes. IMO, it's a good deal.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    It's Robert's forum. He can do what he likes. IMO, it's a good deal.
    Rob, this is NOT about "deals". I love good deals too. I will even give it a shot to get a banner up on WHT. Deals are great but NOT at the expense of a community. You cannot resell a community. This is where it stops to be a community and begins to be a race for the best deal...

When the content of the site is affected by the advertising, thats where you need to draw the line...
    Well, the way I see it the content of "the site" isn't being affected by the new sticky ads; the content of the advertising forums is. And they're not even called the "free advertising forums," so personally I don't have a big problem with it.

Maybe it's because I never found much personal value in the advertising forums anyway, but to me this policy doesn't detract from WHT in the least.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by JayC
    Well, the way I see it the content of "the site" isn't being affected by the new sticky ads; the content of the advertising forums is. And they're not even called the "free advertising forums," so personally I don't have a big problem with it.

Maybe it's because I never found much personal value in the advertising forums anyway, but to me this policy doesn't detract from WHT in the least.

I don't advertise here either...

But its changing content that bothers me, where do you draw the line?? Will they close a post in the advert forum for money to keep replies out??? Adding banners and stuff isn't changing anything...

But posts should be left alone... Personal opion though...

The community continues to grow under our direction. The Hosting TEch ads have driven new users. Registered users are up, posts are up, and threads are up.

Advertising forums are ad forums. I've even expanded the free advertising forums by adding another catagory.

Collecting a few $$$ here and there should not be a bad thing. The forum is free for members and nonmembers. A few banners and a few stickies is very reasonable inmy book.

We're spending thousands each month to help grow the community in Hosting Tech. There is a new Overture campaign that will also start soon and we're just now starting a number of new partnerships.

I'm sorry if you don't like it but I find it extremely reasonable to sell ads and stickies in order to help recoop our costs.

The promotion costs don't even include our hardware and administration costs. We've just spent a load to upgrade the servers.

The site is way upside down income versus costs any way you slice it and that's before you figure in our acquiusition costs.

The new stickies, provided that there are companies willing to pay, are here to stay.

Robert
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

Robert,

They don't bother me in the slightest and I think it's a good move on your part to recap some of the expense this way. $50 is a drop in the bucket for most people, and I'm actually a little suprised the cost is so low.

While I'm aware that some people seem to have made it their personal crusade to mention your name and your company as being responsible for everything short of the common cold, the vast majority of us understand that business costs money, and as a business we like to get some of that expense back.

Let's raise a glass to the big fella.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by headsurfer
    <snip>
    EXACTLY... WHT costs you and I think EVERYONE here should contribute to this board therefore.

Banners are ugly but ok. Selling threads is not ok Robert, trust me on this. I am doing this out of love for WHT and nothing else.

Ok so you want revenue to cover cost... I AGREE! You might even want to make a buck out of it.... HELL, I AGREE!!!

***Update: WE got 200$/month so far***

I am 100% sure (see update above) that those CONTRIBUTIONS will get you more money then doing this thread-sales thing.
    200$/month... that is already a month full of "bought-threads" worth. I wil be damned if we cannot gather the 400$ required after having gotten 200 already.

TO ALL: ALL people here on WHT will know you if you CONTRIBUTE 50$/month for the sake of this forum. There is glory and fame (of the good + honest) kind to be found in this! Please reply here if you are willing to spare a lousy 50$/month in exchange for the big $ sales you make here all the time.

I just sold 4 10mbit servers thanks to WHT. I think it is time to give something back!

Robert, please post/PM me a PayPal account where I can send my 50$ for this month...

Originally posted by akashik

While I'm aware that some people seem to have made it their personal crusade to mention your name and your company as being responsible for everything short of the common cold, the vast majority of us understand that business costs money, and as a business we like to get some of that expense back.
    Well said. I don't have a problem with the ads either. The advertising forums are for just that -- advertising. Paid placement seems like the next logical step. And with the price so low, really anyone can afford it, so I don't see it as being unfair... if there was some kind of payment scheme anywhere else in the forums, I would have a problem, but these are the advertising forums... no big deal... just my thoughts...
    Jay &#187; [email protected] • AIM &#187; FDrive Support
    Front Drive&trade; &#187; Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

I see nothing wrong with what Robert has proposed.
    If it expanded beyond that; maybe my views would change.
    But, Robert has been a man of his word thus far. He said this was coming a long time ago. And I'm all for it.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I think the ads are fine.

We all can agree it costs money to maintain this site. And, even more so to make it better.

I personally thought the idea was a great one. What an innovative way to make money off of a forum! Paid ads that stay at the top of the advertising section longer than the rest!

What could possibly be wrong with that? It's advertising people. It's not like he's saying you can buy a sticky at the top of the lounge.
    MagnaSavings.com - Tech Bargains & Deals
    Check with us before you buy anything with a power cord!

I think it is a great idea. It would be different if they were selling 'sticky posts' in non-ad forums.

I'm not in love with the sticky posts, actually I don't really like the idea. But who am I, or anyone, to tell Rob how to run his board, when it's his money stream that's paying for it?

If this is a measure that has to be taken to even out the money situation and keep the forums alive, so be it.

Originally posted by ShareFile
    ...I just sold 4 10mbit servers thanks to WHT. I think it is time to give something back!...
    I just wanted to point something out regarding this statement. You mentioned making a pretty big sale thanks to WHT. This happened while the new policy with the stickie ads are in place. I am just curious but how, so far, has this affected your business in regards to stickie ads?

Again, this is absolutely nothing against you, ShareFile. I just wanted to know if your disliking the stickie ads has to do with potential lost sales or just the appearance of the advertising forums?

Thanks,
    Mark Blair

Originally posted by markblair

I just wanted to point something out regarding this statement. You mentioned making a pretty big sale thanks to WHT. This happened while the new policy with the stickie ads are in place. I am just curious but how, so far, has this affected your business in regards to stickie ads?

Again, this is absolutely nothing against you, ShareFile. I just wanted to know if your disliking the stickie ads has to do with potential lost sales or just the appearance of the advertising forums?

Thanks,
    Once again: NO! I can afforde renting sticky ads until the end of my days anyway.

And also I made those sales way BEFORE any sticky ads but that is irrelevant actually.

Besides, do you really think I would offer 50$ of my hard earned money to DONATE to headsurfer if I didn't 100% believe in what I said?? I could buy sticky ads with those. But still I am offering to donate to a competitor just for the sake of this place... and with it for YOURS and everyone elses here too. Unfortunately people here are all selfish and money-horny... making their profit here is all that counts to them...

Looks like that's what matters to 'you.' . . . . money.

Why don't you just buy WHT? Then you can do with it what you want.

Sticky ads don't bother me at all. But then we don't mine WHT.

...making their profit here is all that counts to them...
    Wouldn't that be your interest in this place if you owned it as well? I don't know of too many people that would spend the money that was spent to invest in a place like this and not want to make a profit. That person would either be extremely nice or extremely dumb. Just my opinion, though...
    Mark Blair

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Looks like that's what matters to 'you.' . . . . money.

Why don't you just buy WHT? Then you can do with it what you want.

Sticky ads don't bother me at all. But then we don't mine WHT.
    Say WHAT??? How the hell does me offering to DONATE my money in order to keep WHT ad free - Ads I could use - with your statement about me??? I don't get it m8 sorry.

Why don't I buy WHT? Well first of all it is not for sale. Iwould prolly have the money and if not I could get a loan ASAP
    Do with it what I want? No. No matter how much someone pays for us, he cannot do what he wants. This place belongs and WILL always belong of ALL OF US.

This and many things you cannot understand, I know... I don't blame you. I am surrounded by selfish and advantage-eager people all day long. In this wanna-be-civilized society of capitalism. You know, that is the sadest part about the human evolution... every day we grow closer again to that caveman with the bat, only the surrounding has changed but the means remain.

Of course you don't know me and there is absolutely no reason for you to assume that behind that nickname and postcount stands a human beeing with feelings and concerns about this world, trying inevidably and almost pathetically to preserve the things in life that makes life worth living.

I know that above words come very philosophical and "off" the current topic. True. But if you look deeper - I wish you COULD or CARED - then you will see the reasons for my cause.

If you really believe that Ihave anything to gain, then you are more stupid, thenyou think I am...

. . . . . . . .This and many things you cannot understand, I know... I don't blame you. . . . . . . . .If you really believe that Ihave anything to gain, then you are more stupid, thenyou think I am...
    I believe my feeble mind can understand this much . . . . . If we're not with you; we're against you.

Robert (sharefile),
    While I understand your concern, I think that you need to understand a couple of things first and foremost. I think that RS and Robert have done a great job with the way that WHT is being run. I see no shift in the way WHT was run before WHT was owned by Matt and now owned by RS. So they want to make a few bucks with sticky ads which are simply in the ads forum only, good for them. I think that it is a good idea. Let the recoup some of the money that they spent for WHT. It also gives other hosts some possible exposure that they have not received with this type of target audience, a win win situation in my eyes.

As far as you buying WHT, even if it was for sale, weren't you going to go out of business because you couldn't pay a $2200 bill at NAC, and even had a post for potential investors?

You see we live in a capitalistic society whether you like it or not. Aren't you the owner of Starhost, if so then the very type of society you are bashing, you are an instrumental part of. If you are such a humanitarian join the Red Cross.

Also, I don't think attacking Dennis really helped you cause any, all he was saying is that RS is free to do what they want, and the sticky ads don't bother him.

-Steven
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Cogent in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    But its changing content that bothers me, where do you draw the line?? Will they close a post in the advert forum for money to keep replies out???
    Personally, what matters to me isn't where "the line" might someday be drawn, but where it's drawn in the present. The "slippery slope," "if they do this now what might they do next" argument is one of the most common of all straw men; but ultimately it's a weak reason for opposing anything. Judge by the now, or judge even by past behavior, but not by anyone's doom and gloom prediction of the future.

The new, current policy -- paid ads in the advertising forum -- isn't problematic to me in the least.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Say WHAT??? How the hell does me offering to DONATE my money in order to keep WHT ad free - Ads I could use - with your statement about me??? I don't get it m8 sorry.

Why don't I buy WHT? Well first of all it is not for sale. Iwould prolly have the money and if not I could get a loan ASAP
    Do with it what I want? No. No matter how much someone pays for us, he cannot do what he wants. This place belongs and WILL always belong of ALL OF US.

This and many things you cannot understand, I know... I don't blame you. I am surrounded by selfish and advantage-eager people all day long. In this wanna-be-civilized society of capitalism. You know, that is the sadest part about the human evolution... every day we grow closer again to that caveman with the bat, only the surrounding has changed but the means remain.

Of course you don't know me and there is absolutely no reason for you to assume that behind that nickname and postcount stands a human beeing with feelings and concerns about this world, trying inevidably and almost pathetically to preserve the things in life that makes life worth living.

I know that above words come very philosophical and "off" the current topic. True. But if you look deeper - I wish you COULD or CARED - then you will see the reasons for my cause.

If you really believe that Ihave anything to gain, then you are more stupid, thenyou think I am...
    yea I wouldnt be so quick to buy wht

I mean i do remember you posting looking for investors to keep your business alive, so I wouldnt even think about buying wht LOL

EXACTLY... WHT costs you and I think EVERYONE here should contribute to this board therefore.

Banners are ugly but ok. Selling threads is not ok Robert, trust me on this. I am doing this out of love for WHT and nothing else.

Ok so you want revenue to cover cost... I AGREE! You might even want to make a buck out of it.... HELL, I AGREE!!!

***Update: WE got 200$/month so far***

I am 100% sure (see update above) that those CONTRIBUTIONS will get you more money then doing this thread-sales thing.
    200$/month... that is already a month full of "bought-threads" worth. I wil be damned if we cannot gather the 400$ required after having gotten 200 already.

TO ALL: ALL people here on WHT will know you if you CONTRIBUTE 50$/month for the sake of this forum. There is glory and fame (of the good + honest) kind to be found in this! Please reply here if you are willing to spare a lousy 50$/month in exchange for the big $ sales you make here all the time.

I just sold 4 10mbit servers thanks to WHT. I think it is time to give something back!

Robert, please post/PM me a PayPal account where I can send my 50$ for this month...
    Can someone make Sharefile just go away Oh look, there's the IGNORE button. ah, all better now.

Sorry Sharefile. You're flogging a dead horse here mate. Don't you have better things to do. Maybe you should have bought this forum??
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

In my opinion:

You can do contributions OR advertising - contributions will get you more income in the long run while advertising will make some of the members here quite angry..

As long as you keep the posts here related to the we hosting issue I have no problem with ads in the advertising forum..
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

I have absolutely no problem about the ads.

ShareFile: I can understand your points...but it seems a majority of people here do not mind the ads either. Since Mr. Marsh has already said that the stickys are here to stay, what is the point of continuing this?

Also to comment on another's idea, I don't believe a "make a contributions" feature at WHT is a good idea. It will cause chaos among posters in this community. Imagine the trouble it would stir if a member were to say "but I made a $100 donation to WHT, I should have more RIGHTS than the other guy!"
    Marc A. Paul
    Executive Web Producer
    GFX:USA - Affordable Customized Logo Design
    http://www.gfx.us

Originally posted by GetDrawn
    Imagine the trouble it would stir if a member were to say "but I made a $100 donation to WHT, I should have more RIGHTS than the other guy!"
    Yeah well, that just isn't so. What can I say, members have said worse then that. Somebose donating money is not better in any way... everyone who feels he is is just plain wrong...

BTW: I see a tendency here of people talking about me buying WHT... lol is THAT what you want

To those bad tongues talking about me asking for investors and therefore not having cash... think! The investors came too late to save the situation but they came! So right now I have almost 10 contacts on people that are willing to invest We even started refunding lost months to our customers that all stayed btw

Also business has been VERY good to me lately so yeah, I am slowly-slowly getting there

headsurfer.... it was a great idea...
    leave the sticky ads there.

its your forum

yes, your wasting your time complaining, headsurfer ain't gonna listen to you

I don't have a problem at all with the stickies. However, I do feel that the "Important:" text should be replaced with "Advertisement: "

I agree JG, its false advertising, well sorta, oh well ...

JG has a valid point. I am all for the advertisement as Robert sees fit. But, it should be noted that it is, indeed just that; advertising.

I would hope that maybe they just haven't gotten to configuring that yet. So that when an ad is stuck; it is shown as an Advertisement instead of Important.

Human nature = Complain =

I don't see what's the big deal, they are just banner ads, and I don't even see them anymore, when i load a page on the forum, my eyes automatically go to the position where the actual content starts, and my mouse moves over to the scroll bar.

Now, if they were animated or those miserable Shoshkeles, that would be disruptive and annoying, but a small picture and a block of text is so easily ignored.
    http://forums.webhostdir.com/
    All your hosts are belong to us

[edit]
    -Zain-
    You should have received an email, letter or a pm from me by now if you were a client of InfoDoma or related to it. If not, let me know via pm.Thanks.

Originally posted by Phoenix
    I don't see what's the big deal, they are just banner ads, and I don't even see them anymore . . . . . . . .
    This thread is about the top two Threads in the Advertising Fourms.
    Not the banner ads at the top of pages.

Yes I agree that THE LEAST that can be done is to call the threads "Advertisement: blah"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast