Question Shared Hosting vs. Reseller Hosting

For someone who needs to host multiple active sites (i.e. domains) but has no need to re-sell hosting services to others, is there any advantage in using a reseller hosting service?

I ask because most shared hosting providers appear to be much cheaper (with same features as cPanel, bandwidth, space etc) for their shared hosting plans than for an otherwise identical reseller hosting plan.

What gives?

Hello wbengal,

Well, with a reseller account, the providers have learned that eventually you will utilize what you have purchased - and as such, they cannot afford to offer massive packages like they do in shared hosting. In shared hosting, they fully understand that almost no one utilizes what they have purchased - so, marketing takes over.

You only really need a reseller account if you require multiple control panel access to your various domains (ie you want a separate control panel for each domain so that different people can have access to different CP's - whether you are actually selling or not isnt really relavent)

Eitherway, I would recommend not getting one of those massive shared hosting packages (especially if you will be hosting any apllications). You would be much better off buying a reasonable shared package - or a reseller package -

Hope this helps...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

It's just easier if you want to manage all your domains or if you wanted to sell hosting on the site.

It's easier for you setup and manage basically if you want to be able to create/modify/delete hosting accounts at your will

You also can offer direct support from the provider you buy the reseller account directly to your end-customer. With a shared account you can't do that.

CartikaHosting is also right in what he said about marketing of shared hosting packages and that many providers would deactivate you if you resell your shared account to others - simply because it would be at war with the business model of offering a harddrive for 7 $US / month. (Some don't though, such as Dreamhost.)

As you are talking Cpanel there is some limitation using subdomains in a sharing account .

if you have a subdomain foto.maindomain.com and foto.extradomain.com they will end up in the same place that I guess is not what you like.

Also if you have a subdomain admin.maindomain.com it will be the same as www.maindomain.com/admin but if you like to create a sundomain for www.extradomain.com/admin it's not possible without using redirections.

I don't know if this will be a problem for you. I am using a resseller just because of this.

Hans

Shared Hosting Vs Reseller Hosting.

Introduction
    Shared Hosting: It’s a type of web-hosting where you buy web-space for your personal websites from web-hosting companies.
    Reseller hosting: Its type of web-hosting where you buy bulk of space and can resell it to for profit.

Shared and Reseller web hosting have many similarities, many web hosts offer both shared and reseller hosting. The main difference between the two are in the names ‘shared’, you are sharing resources, which is the same for ‘reseller’ in a way but you can resell the server resources. You can create your own web hosting accounts and share your allocated server resources with your clients.

The host still remains in control of their server and are responsible for updating server software and maintaining the server. The host will usually also provide support to the reseller, so if there are any issue or faults the reseller will be able to contact the host.

Do I need a Reseller Hosting Account?

Most personal and small business users will have no use for a reseller account, a reseller account is useful to those users who have a number of web sites and want to save money, as a reseller account can be cheaper than purchasing multiple shared hosting account.

With a reseller account you can also sell hosting, so this can be a relatively cheap step into the hosting business. You have the flexibility of controlling your own clients, creating, suspending and terminating accounts. You also have the knowledge that the server is being maintained for you, so you only have to worry about your clients and web site.

The Benefits

If you own a number of web sites, using a reseller account can save you money, and you can create accounts when you need them and share the resources between your web sites easily. You can find reseller hosting accounts with plenty of bandwidth and disk space for around $25 - $50 a month, which can be a big saving if you have a number of web sites needing hosting.

You also don’t have to worry about the maintenance of the server, since the web host should have this covered. You should also receive technical support included with your account.

If you have plans to start to own web hosting business, a reseller account can be an easy first step in the hosting industry. It is a relatively low cost solution, meaning you can concentrate primarily on building your business slowly and generate a steady monthly income. One of the biggest mistakes new hosts make is try to accomplish too much in a short period of time. This can lead to unhappy customers and evidently losing clients.

The disadvantages

Potential clients may not be totally confident purchasing a hosting account from a reseller, because you in affect are the middle man. If a problem arises with the server or a customers account, they need to contact you and if you are unable to deal with the problem yourself, you would in turn have to contact your host. This can be a long process from initially receiving the first support request to getting the problem resolved. However if you have proper customer support in place this shouldn’t be a major problem.

As a reseller like I said above you have limited access to admin functions, and if you have experience with the control panel and server software you may find this annoying. The only thing I can suggest is asking the host if it would be possible for them to enable your account more with admin privileges. The worse thing the host can say is ‘no’, so it’s worth a try.

Final thoughts

In my opinion reseller hosting is worth the money you can pay out, it is a good step in selling web hosting and if done properly enables a small business to generate a profit from reselling shared hosting accounts.

If you have high bandwidth or disk space requirements reseller hosting may not be the best solution, possibly a dedicated server would be better suited if you have the technical knowledge.

Thanks for reading, if you have any questions about reseller web hosting, or any other issues post a new topic in the correct forum. If you have any ideas about improving this article or any other part of the site, please let us know.

Written by

JagaurPC cost effective reseller service.

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting View Post

Eitherway, I would recommend not getting one of those massive shared hosting packages (especially if you will be hosting any apllications). You would be much better off buying a reasonable shared package - or a reseller package -

Hope this helps...
    Hi, CartikaHosting, how do you understand the difference between massive shared and a reasonable shared package? I suppose you don't mean overselling space and bandwidth but features of the plan rather.

It's quite simple you see a lot of zeros.

Massive: 200GB space, 2000GB bandwidth for 6 USD per month

I guess it's difficult for the average client to know these kind of things though,

But some of the massive plans actually do work out ok for a lot of people. I don't think it's a bad idea to take a few plans like these for some personal sites.

RESELLER - as all above, for ur needs ... no doubt about it.

2 major reasons:

A. When a specific domain crashes ... it will not effect the others. i.e. U have much better control over ur server.

B. Ur server will not be over-sold (At least not too much). i.e. Performance will be much\a bit better
    IT & Web Services - Hosting, Domains, SEO, Project Mang.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sustainable SEO | Articles Depot

Quote Originally Posted by assafh View Post
    A. When a specific domain crashes ... it will not effect the others. i.e. U have much better control over ur server.

Hmm... what?

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Hmm... what?
    In a shared host, all domains share the same account setting ext. .... if u over-quota in some way (or crash the server for what ever reason...), it will effect all the others.

Not supposed to be like that in a reseller account.
    IT & Web Services - Hosting, Domains, SEO, Project Mang.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sustainable SEO | Articles Depot

if you are going to host many domains and want to give separate access to different admins then go for reseller, if you are going to be the only admin, you can get a shared account and host domains as add-on.

If you really need more power get a VPS or a DS.
    Gerard Lacorre
    http://www.arvixe.com
    Linux and Windows
    Shared hosting, Reseller plans and Managed VPS

Quote Originally Posted by assafh View Post
    In a shared host, all domains share the same account setting ext. .... if u over-quota in some way (or crash the server for what ever reason...), it will effect all the others.

Not supposed to be like that in a reseller account.
    What I know of, you can (in most cases?) limit the storage quota per domain. You may also set up a bandwidth quota per domain in certain control panels.

When it comes to resource allocating in terms of CPU/memory there is no difference at all between a shared/reseller account, unless the later is separated on a unique server/virtual server and per reseller account. This isn't the case in most instances.

From my experience the reseller plan is better than shared because it is designed to hold a lot of sites and traffic. Your sites should load faster with the reseller plan.

Ask the reseller seller how many sites they allow on each machine.