hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Looking for an webhost

Forum Jump

Looking for an webhost

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Looking for an webhost

Hello,

I'm looking for an cheap webhost. I don't want to pay more than $8 / month, and low or none setup-fee. I don't demand very high uptime (it is an personal site that I want to be host). Of course, i don't want my site to be inaccessible for an week or something like that, but about 2-3 hours downtime in week doesn't matter. Here is my demands:

At least 500 MB storage.
At least 5 GB bandwidth.
Fairly good speed.
At least 3 MySQL 5 (...or above) databases.
PHP5 or above installed.
Some kind of SSL-certify installed.
Competent and friendly support.
Not swedish, danish or norwegian.

...and yes, I now that i got what i pay for. But as an student I don't have more money.

Any proposal?

(Sorry for my bad english, I'am from Sweden).

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 AM

The budget you have should be sufficient for your requirements. As for the SSL certificate, you'll need to buy this and get a dedicated IP from your web host (which could cost you an extra $1 - $2 per month).

The SSL certificate will run you $14/yr from www.servertastic.com.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Take a look at ASmallOrange - it has what you want except the space (400 instead
of 500MB) for only 5 bucks and 10GB bandwidth. Plus, I've read some nice reviews
here on this forum and on their own forum.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Web Hosting Master

2-3 hours downtime in a week doesn't matter? Webhosts would worship you

Check our uptime

Old 04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanworld View Post
2-3 hours downtime in a week doesn't matter? Webhosts would worship you
I agree with you

Old 04-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Corporate Member

2-3 hours of downtime a week is a lot in fact for most hosts 2-3 hours of down time in a month is a lot even. With that I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a host. Feel free to post some that you are considering that are not suggested from this topic so people can give you opinions.

PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X Support!

Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 PM

Host Gator is my fav

Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SWE] View Post
Hello,

I'm looking for an cheap webhost. I don't want to pay more than $8 / month, and low or none setup-fee. I don't demand very high uptime (it is an personal site that I want to be host). Of course, i don't want my site to be inaccessible for an week or something like that, but about 2-3 hours downtime in week doesn't matter. Here is my demands:

At least 500 MB storage.
At least 5 GB bandwidth.
Fairly good speed.
PHP5 or above installed.

...and yes, I now that i got what i pay for. But as an student I don't have more money.

Any proposal?

Why do you need an SSL certificate for a personal site?

Just curious because many hosts will charge you not only for the SSL cert (which is proper) but also for the dedicated IP address which an SSL cert required (which isn't proper).

Old 04-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SWE] View Post
Hello,

At least 500 MB storage.
At least 5 GB bandwidth.
Fairly good speed.
PHP5 or above installed.

Any proposal?

Bonjour [SWE],

Your english is very good . Wondering if you want a control panel to manage easier your hosting account ? If so, which one do you prefer.

Regards,

Old 04-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Web Hosting Master

Question

Agreed that 2 or 3 hours downtime in a year would be considered totally unacceptable by most people who needed a security certificate.
If it's just a personal site with no e-commerce or such it's hard to imagine the need. Everything you ask is well within some plan with almost any host but the certificate will be extra depending on the "level" of certificate you buy and most of us do have an extra charge for a dedicated IP which the certificate requires.

Your requirements seem to make perfect sense for a "personal site" from lots of hosts (all with better uptime) but the cost of the certificate would be what would "make it or break it" on your budget.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Agreed that 2 or 3 hours downtime in a year would be considered totally unacceptable by most people who needed a security certificate.
3 hours of downtime in a year would be ~0.034% downtime, or 99.966% uptime. Even for a store, it's not bad. But maybe you meant to type "week" as in the OP.

Quote:
Just curious because many hosts will charge you not only for the SSL cert (which is proper) but also for the dedicated IP address which an SSL cert required (which isn't proper).
I see no reason why it wouldn't be proper to charge for the IP. Separate service, separate charge.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Web Hosting Master

I guess why I don't think it's proper to charge for IPs is because I've never been charged for them. Even now as a budget host I don't charge for them because I don't pay for them. I do have to justify each one, though. I've never looked into it farther than that but it seems to me that since multiple providers don't charge me for them then they're not paying for them. Ergo nobody has to pay for them so hosts that charge for them are doing so at 100 percent profit. Or that's my logic anyhow.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Retired Moderator

IPs do have a cost, though certainly, some providers may choose to just absorb it.

Even if they would be completely free, setting them up, managing them, requires some effort. A fee is thus justified.

Not that fees and markups actually have to be justified.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

I wonder how much they cost? I know by the time it gets down to our level we see $2/month or so, but how much does the top of the pyramid pay I wonder?

It can't be significant because I've had about 5 hosts in the last 5 years and I've never paid for an IP address.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Junior Guru

3 hours of downtime a week is 12 hours of month,half a day!
It's too time!
If you want SSL(personal site and you want SSL?)you might take a look at webhosts which offers free including dedicated ip.
Otherwise you have to pay 1-2$/month or maybe less/more

Regards,

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - January 31, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:30
WebHostUK LTD Listing 2014-09-20 20:47:18
WebhostUK Launches Cloud VPS Hosting Service Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:46:51
Aussie Web Host DWHS Rebrands to WebHost.pro, Adds Plans and Features Web Hosting News 2013-02-14 14:41:25
A Look at the New WHM Interface in Version 11.34 of the cPanel Hosting Control Panel Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:52