1and1. Are they having a laugh???

Hey people. Have a look at this.

This is 1and1 america.
    http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hos...op&__lf=Static

And this is 1and1 UK

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/H...op&__lf=Static

According to conversions. The UK Site is same price. Why do they do this???. There servers are hosted in the same place.
    It even looks like the UK site does not even offer DATABASE SUPPORT.

By the way im looking at there £1.49/$2.99
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/

UK Hosting may be a bit more expensive, but when you have a company that large I'm sure you can work crazy deals to keep costs low.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Arrow

although your looking at the basic package from the two sites, what is offered in the two packages is very different.

Site - Space / B/W / PHP? / Email

US - 10GB / 300GB / Yes / 600
    UK - 250MB / 3GB / No / 20

the packages that compare are actually priced:

US - $2.99 /month
    UK - £13.21 /month ($26.21)

and its still got less space etc than the US package.

I was once told it was because hardware, bandwidth ...etc cost more in UK than US.

Personally I didn't buy that. My opinion is the price is purposely artifically high to keep in-line with current UK market and status.

Surprising what a few milliseconds can save you
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: DTS-Net

What gets me is they are hosted in the exact spot. Also what is really annoying is that the UK is much closer and the US

Thanks,
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/

I just looked at the site. Anarchy is right. It seems as if they are really pulling a number on the UK. I think this is another case that they just do it because they can get away with it. Why sell low when you don't have to? Low prices are a result of competition that has a lower price.

as far as i know all the european servers of 1and1 are hosted in Germany, incl. those sold on .co.uk's. And their US servers are actually based in US.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Their prices on 1und1.de are lower than their prices on 1and1.co.uk and they're both in the German DC.

Laff...I should start doing that. Peruse the world currency rates each day and then put my hosting fees in whatever currency has the most favourable exchange rate for me on that day

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    as far as i know all the european servers of 1and1 are hosted in Germany, incl. those sold on .co.uk's. And their US servers are actually based in US.
    European 1&1: They're not using Servage are they?
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: DTS-Net

wtf???
    the 1and1 developer package costs close to 2.5 times more for the UK
    they're acting like n00Bs

Quote Originally Posted by viratshah View Post
    wtf???
    the 1and1 developer package costs close to 2.5 times more for the UK
    they're acting like n00Bs
    They aint acting, they are.

I dunno. Seems like a simple case of global economics to me. Just because something is worth $1 here doesn't mean it's worth $1 everywhere on the planet.

I've seen untold number of posts from people in the UK specifically asking for UK hosting facilities. Seems like there's a demand for it...

Life is expensive in the UK, nothing new.
    God Bless American Web Hosting Industry

The simple answer is that they are doing it because they can.

The simple answer is that they are doing it because they can.
    Market price, all about market price. It's common in the states to sell 3TB space for 5 cents per decade, but that overselling joke ain't happening as bad in the UK. So they just have some competetive packages for each continent