Do you use managed servers?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if lots of you folks are using managed servers or do you manage them yourselves?

Do you find having someone else manage it make your life easier or not really when it comes down to it?

If you do use them could you recommend some companies to me for managed servers and your experiences.

Thanks,

Steve

I've never had a managed server, but it is my understanding that with a fully managed server, the customer never gets root! While I can see the benefits of having everything done for me, I could never live without root on my own server! Who's to say the tech did everything properly?

Originally posted by lightnin
    I've never had a managed server, but it is my understanding that with a fully managed server, the customer never gets root! While I can see the benefits of having everything done for me, I could never live without root on my own server! Who's to say the tech did everything properly?
    Of course you get root with a managed server - it's still your server.

manage...dont use managed.
    So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." --Bill Murray Caddyshack

Originally posted by lightnin
    I offer managed win servers to my clients only and one of the understandings is that, yes you have root, but I do all the software installs. Very simple for a managed server to get mis-configured by someone that does not know what they are doing in the win platform and open a security hole. happens all the time ( had a client load AIM and bang someone hit him almost took his server down )

Clients don't mind the higher rates, plus they know that they can call when they have a problem. Managed servers are a great way for clients to offload the headaches.

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Greetings lightnin:

"I've never had a managed server, but it is my understanding that with a fully managed server, the customer never gets root!"

This is generally not the rule. The overwhelming majority of companies that provide "full" managed hosting do provide you with super user / administrative access.

The catch we've found over the years is that "managed services" / "managed hosting" can vary tremendously in terms of what is actually delivered.

Some companies state they are providing fully managed servers when all they are doing is managing the network and the equipment (the same thing they did prior to using the words "managed hosting").

Others simply install a control panel (CPanel, Ensim, etc.), and call that "managed servers."

So whatever one gets, one has to check the deliverables to see if they match the specific needs.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Ive never had any server LOL but if i got one i would probably go for a managed one, simply because i dont know enough about running one myself, and i have been on the bad end of that when i used a host who clearly didnt know what he was doing. And i wouldnt want that to happen to my customers !

Originally posted by ADEhost
    Managed servers are a great way for clients to offload the headaches.
    ... and for Mike to take them on

I don't like managed servers because I don't like people logging in and doing stuff for me. I like to know what I'm doing with my own server.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Well I don't have enough experience to admin the server so I could would hire someone to do it but I'd rather just get a managed solution, which is really the same thing anyway.

I'm basicly in need of what RackShack offers but I need someone to manage it with/for me. Yes I would be afraid the people managing wouldn't hold up to their end of the bargain and all my clients along with my company would be screwed.

I've seen eservers.biz and heard decent things about them, any feedback before I e-mail them?

Originally posted by rochen

... and for Mike to take them on

You must have an account with me, only my clients know and see these report about trouble shooting new installs with the details. I tell them all my headaches. ( I bet you love my security notices too hu LOL )

I will find your account and send you a love letter ( 30 day notice of cancelation )

mike

p.s. nahh I wont, better that you stay upto date and know what's out there security wise than to see any of us hit by hackers
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings lightnin:

"I've never had a managed server, but it is my understanding that with a fully managed server, the customer never gets root!"

This is generally not the rule. The overwhelming majority of companies that provide "full" managed hosting do provide you with super user / administrative access.

The catch we've found over the years is that "managed services" / "managed hosting" can vary tremendously in terms of what is actually delivered.

Some companies state they are providing fully managed servers when all they are doing is managing the network and the equipment (the same thing they did prior to using the words "managed hosting").

Others simply install a control panel (CPanel, Ensim, etc.), and call that "managed servers."

So whatever one gets, one has to check the deliverables to see if they match the specific needs.

Thank you.
    Well, I stand corrected. Not sure where the heck I picked up the idea.

The catch we've found over the years is that "managed services" / "managed hosting" can vary tremendously in terms of what is actually delivered
    Very true, its become a very ambiguous term, if the company provides 'managed' servers which is more than just making sure the power is switched on then they usually they have some sort of description of whats involved.

Most would still give root access I think, it's just sometimes applying a new upgrade can be a nightmare whereas a good managed server company will have test machines so at least they have some idea of whats going to happen before asking if you want to go ahead with the upgrade
    http://blueboxservers.com
    Managed Dedicated Plesk Servers
    Inflow NOC 100% SLA

managed server = getting up at 4:30 am ( you went to sleep at 4 am) to swap out a fualty raid drive

Managed server = getting to the bar at 6:30 pm and your pager goes off

Managed server = client calling for an upgrade and you have to wait for the 6am DHL guy to do that very urgent upgrade.

Managed server = wondering what your wife looks like this year

Managed server = small short term stays at hospitals for heart palputations

managed server = giving 110% all the time.

that is what managed servers are all about

Mike

You have to ask yourself if you don't have the technical knowledge, is the web hosting industry the right industry for you? Maybe you should consider using a reseller plan until you are confident you have enough knowledge to manage your own server.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy