Looking for a reliable host

Hi!

I am looking for a reliable hosting for a download site. I offer 4-5 MB rar files, I have around 3-4 thousand visitors per day and I use 1500GB bandwith per month.

I am looking for the most reliable host for the best price.
    Thanks for any help!

Hi Katrin,

Did you have any other requirements? What is your budget?

Derrick
    LaneHost.com | Professional Web Hosting Solutions
    Affordable Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers at Great Prices!
    Follow us on Twitter!

Nothing special requirements, I just need at least 200MB webspace. I am not familiar in the prices, I thought no more than 50$ in a month but if there is no such a host I can pay more..

Quote Originally Posted by LaneHost
    Hi Katrin,

Did you have any other requirements? What is your budget?

Derrick

Dedicated or Shared hosting?
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

I think you should go with a VPS plan to better suite your situation. If you have that many daily unique vistors downloading files, your server's resources will be used frequently. Based on your budget, you should be able to easily find a VPS that targets what you need.

Honestly, with those requirements, you should probably go with one of the massive packages like offered by dreamhost or netfirms for example.

You wont get alot of CPU at your disposal, but, for a simple downloads site with lots of traffic on a low budget, those hosts are probably your best fit.

For that sort of requirement, you should be on a dedicated server, but, that will obviously cost you alot more.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Did all of you miss the '1500GB bandwidth' part?

There's no way you'll get by with a vps or a shared package especially with a $50 budget. A dedicated server would be more suitable. Good luck with your search.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan
    Did all of you miss the '1500GB bandwidth' part?

There's no way you'll get by with a vps or a shared package especially with a $50 budget. A dedicated server would be more suitable. Good luck with your search.
    Hey Dan, Im usually the one that agrees with this sort of comment 1000% - however, in this case, the client is running a download site with a few files and lots of traffic - if one of the massive oversellers cant accomodate this site - then, I am not sure what site they can accomodate
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Following Andrew's suggestion perhaps you should grab two such "extremely oversold" accounts and use www.dnsmadeeasy.com for failover I know Dreamhost offers SSH, so you can setup rsync between the two hosts to keep the data in constant sync.

Another good idea would be to purchase three hosting accounts from different providers. One reliable host (low resource requirements, so you should be able to keep prices low) and two budget hosts (ie: Dreamhost, Hostgator, etc.). The reliable host would serve your content (nice and fast) and the two budget hosts would be mirrors for your files (large bandwidth consumption).

Use A records for the budget hosts (ie: mirror1.domain.com). If you ever do need to switch out one of the budget hosts, you wouldn't have to change the URLs for all of your links.

I'd go for at least one reliable/one budget, going for two budget hosts if possible.

HTH,
    Steve

For about 49 bucks more you can get an unmanaged dedicated server with 1GB memory, 2100 AMD CPU and an 80GB hard drive...and 2000GB of transfer all to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    Another good idea would be to purchase three hosting accounts from different providers. One reliable host (low resource requirements, so you should be able to keep prices low) and two budget hosts (ie: Dreamhost, Hostgator, etc.). The reliable host would serve your content (nice and fast) and the two budget hosts would be mirrors for your files (large bandwidth consumption).

Use A records for the budget hosts (ie: mirror1.domain.com). If you ever do need to switch out one of the budget hosts, you wouldn't have to change the URLs for all of your links.

I'd go for at least one reliable/one budget, going for two budget hosts if possible.

HTH,
    Steve
    That plan works very well from past experiences.

PE steve is right on the money - like the stock market: diversify - split it up and buy different things based on your different requirements. Save money on stuff you don't need.