Question How cheap is too cheap and how much is too much?

OK, let's see. Reading from the forums here, I've learned lots of things. The more I learn, the more difficult it is to select a host.

One of the best advices given by anyone anywhere in the forums here is you get what you pay for.

Let's say a host offers the following:

200-800 mb disk space
    8-16 gb bandwidth
    unlimited subdomains
    unlimited pop
    6 to unlimited MySQL
    plus all the usuals...

How cheap is too cheap and how much is too much?

You should find out from the host whether they are using Cogent bandwidth or other relatively better carriers. This makes a difference to the value of the hosting plan because if it is purely Cogent, their cost would be very low.

As a general rule of thumb - unlimited bandwidth is definitely too cheap to be true
    ONEfusion - We're All About Hosting
    WHM/Cpanel Hosting, VDS, colocation
    http://www.onefusion.com/
    DarkOrb Partner NOC

Bandwidth

find out from the host whether they are using Cogent bandwidth or other relatively better carriers.
    I take it you think cogent is a good carrier. Would it make a difference if a host is using cogent as well as other carriers? While we're at it, who are the good carriers?

if it is purely Cogent, their cost would be very low.
    Additionally you'll need to know how many carriers they are using for redundancy. Even though you are "only paying for 1 Gigabyte" of bandwidth, the cost of that 1gig is largely determined by how many carries the host is offering to ensure that 1gig is available at all times. It's also a question of how much of the pipe the host owns. Are they simply sharing a single pipe with many other hosts, do they have a fractional line, or do they actually have the entire pipe in their own name. This affects the pricing too.

Type of hardware plays a roll in costs as well. example: SCSI drives vs EIDE drives. One is a lot cheaper than the other...

Type of support/staff. A single person running the entire business vs having multiple people employed affects the cost a great deal.

The list goes on and on and though it can be a difficult task for the site owner to find the answer to these types of questions, what price is fair depends on what the site owner requires vs what the host is able to offer them.

I can sell you a car for $500 and I can sell you a car for $50,000. Both have four tires and both run. They are both fair deals and both offer the same basic functionality. One is fine as car that will get you to work and back but it may not work out so well if you have a reputation to maintain and/or require air that blows cold and air bags in case you get into an accident...
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Carriers

Seeing how a carrier may be a factor in choosing a host, I've put another thread on this subject.

On carriers

Re: How cheap is too cheap and how much is too much?

Originally posted by 464181

200-800 mb disk space
    8-16 gb bandwidth
    unlimited subdomains
    unlimited pop
    6 to unlimited MySQL
    plus all the usuals...

Personally I'd quote that plan at around $30 a month at the top end and at $15 at the bottom end. Subdomains wouldn't be unlimited though.

Naturally it would depend on your server provider, but if you're paying around $3 a gig on a 40 gig or so hard drive the above pricing would give you enough profit to make it worthwhile, with a little 'wiggle room' if they turn out to be a hungry customer.

Of course I've seen plans that size go for well under $10 a month too which usually leaves me looking like

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

The price range for a host really does depend on what you are looking for as a customer. The low cost providers are usually technically sound and the higher cost providers may have some additional benefits.

From my viewpoint (as a webhost) I try to sit down with my partners and try to decide what type of customer we want to attract and pricing is based off of that decision. A long time ago (two years), Atlanta Web Host was set in the direction not to compete with other providers on pricing. By keeping prices higher, we have managed to keep customer quality up, technical support stress down, and other good things from my perspective.

Best regards,
    Frank Rietta
    AtlantaWebHost.com, a service of Rietta Solutions
    Web Site & Development Hosting, Dedicated, Colocation, DNS, Atlanta-area T1 for Voice & Data

Ive seen to cheap and too much all in one plan! Theres these guys who advertise 1 doller hosting, but when you go they charge more if you want FTP, a control panel, etc

How much or how little is a specific person willing to pay? There is unfortunately, no definite answer to this question.
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

Go to the webhosting requests/specials forums, most of these are too little

OK, let's see. Reading from the forums here, I've learned lots of things. The more I learn, the more difficult it is to select a host.

One of the best advices given by anyone anywhere in the forums here is you get what you pay for.

200-800 mb disk space
    8-16 gb bandwidth
    unlimited subdomains
    unlimited pop
    6 to unlimited MySQL
    plus all the usuals...

Do all the math to figure out how much the "cost" of the above is, add 2% (too cheap) or 500% (too much) or 10-30% (just right).

Re: Re: How cheap is too cheap and how much is too much?

Originally posted by the elf

Do all the math to figure out how much the "cost" of the above is, add 2% (too cheap) or 500% (too much) or 10-30% (just right).
    Hi,

Could you perhaps clarify that for me? I'm curious. How is the potential client supposed to figure out the 'cost'?

Re: Re: Re: How cheap is too cheap and how much is too much?

Originally posted by lightnin

Hi,

Could you perhaps clarify that for me? I'm curious. How is the potential client supposed to figure out the 'cost'?
    How much do hard drives cost?? Cheap, $100- for 60 GB now or something like that. Who is the hosts bandwidth provider (cogent?? .16-.33 gb, rs about .5/gb, telus $6-10/gb and so on), add it up. Most providers say "powered by blah blah" or have the logo on their site. If the host does not list such, so a whois at arin.net and find the provider.

Anyone can find out the cost (if they look hard real hard and poke around a little), but what they can't figure out is the cost of support

Does the host offer good support, and that's why they charge 500% more, or do they offer no/crappy support and charge %2 more. The cost of the server is only 1/4 the cost of the service, you have support, wages (if you have people working for you) & other stuff (software, stuff like that).

You won't be able to find out the exact price, but you should be able to come close and find out if the host is selling you something too cheap or for too "much". It all comes down to the cost of support and how big the host is. Cheaper mostly means smaller, overloaded or crappy service and "more" is bigger, underloaded servers and tier 1 support. You pick

Industry Standard

Ok, I guess figuring out cost may be out of the question for majority of webmasters... unless someone disagrees.

What about say, industry standards? Of course there are no governing agencies setting prices, but a lot of packages have about the same features.

Would there be any site/entity that has a comparative chart?

Hosts that charge $10.00 for the plan in you quoted above - wont last in business for a long time