Managed switch - need advice :)

Hi Everybody,

Looking for some feedback on a good quality entry-level managed switch which is stackable, supports SNMP and is telnet-able.

Would love to hear from the experts who are lurking around as to which is your preference

Thanks in advance!
    ONEfusion - We're All About Hosting
    WHM/Cpanel Hosting, VDS, colocation
    http://www.onefusion.com/
    DarkOrb Partner NOC

I like cisco They have a lot, depends on what you need, a 1900 cat would seem to do what u ask for
    Fairly cheap on ebay, might want to check some out at cisco.com
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

HP 2524 24port

We're using a Dell 3024 right now. It was chosen over the HP 2524 only because of the 4-hour replacement by Dell. It's a fantastic switch. The only reason we'd use anything else is to try the others and see how they compare. It was $776.00 and came with 3 free 3com NICs (promo).
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

I second the HP 2524, we have quite a few and they are rock stable. Also, we had a problem with some Cisco/HP intergration and HPs support was wonderful and fast (they even called Cisco to find the solution).
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Nortel BPS2000
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

Another vote for the HP2524 - haven't had any problems and we've been using the 2524 and the 2424 for quite some time now.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Thanks for the wealth of input guys, really appreciate it!

For now I'll go with the HP 2524, just placed an order for two of these to be delivered. If this works well, ill give those who recommended it to me one port connection into the switch lol

Thanks again, don't know what else i can say but thanks...
    DarkOrb Partner NOC

We've got Cisco 2924s, never had a prob with them.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Originally posted by KDAWebServices
    We've got Cisco 2924s, never had a prob with them.
    Just ordered the same ones They'll arrive shortly - I'm excited.
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

I'm a big fan of the Dell 3024's as well... twenty-four 10/100 ports and 2 10/100/1000 copper ports with 2 GBIC slots (26 ports total, the gig ports can be copper or gbic). The web price for these are about $700/unit.

I've also had huge success with the Catalyst 1900's... rock solid, but doesn't support .1q tagging, only ISL... not a big deal if you have cisco aggregation switches. Lots of used vendors carry this for under $500 for 25 10meg ports (the 25th is an AUI) and 2 100meg ports... unforuntately, it looks like Cisco will be canning support for these by years end.

Someone mentioned HP, I've worked with their networking group and they don't seem to care too much about their customers - they just build without much input from anyone... I have't bought any becuase of this, so you might choose to ignore me on this one.

The Cisco 2924's I've had lots of problems with... sometimes they won't boot, sometimes the lock up... and I'm not talking about 1 or 2... I think I've had about 10 or 11 fail in service - firmware may have something to do with it, but after messing with them after awhile I gave up and ordered a stack of 2950's instead.

Hope this helps.

Anyone else have experience with the cisco cat 2924XL ??? You got me scared, we just purchased them - can anyone else share their experience with it?

Thanks
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

hangten,

The 3024's specs look rather good from what I saw over at Dell's website. Has there been any trouble with Dell's support on their switches? I heard from some guys that they are rather unresponsive to support enquiries.
    DarkOrb Partner NOC

cisco 2980G

I would go with a Dell switch
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Originally posted by ck
    hangten,

The 3024's specs look rather good from what I saw over at Dell's website. Has there been any trouble with Dell's support on their switches? I heard from some guys that they are rather unresponsive to support enquiries.
    So far so good... the UI is not a clean CLI like cisco's, its all VT-based menus and such but its only $700.... it does have a web interface if you like that.

As far as support is concerned, I'm working with their sales group to order equipment (not the web site) and they were able to get my questions routed rather quickly... so far so good, but I haven't had any major problems yet to really test their people out...