Build my own 1U or 2U Server

Well, I'm finally getting tired of all these stupid fees to upgrade the server how I want, an added monthly fee, the hassle of waiting, etc. I want to just go for my own colocated server, and I want to build a 1U or 2U server. Eh, all right, I'll be truthful - it's half for the fun of it too

Like I said, I'm doing it half for the fun of it, so I don't want to buy a pre-built one. So where are good places to buy those kinds of server chassis? I really just want a good cheap one. I know about www.atxcase.com - where are some other good places?

And at the risk of being thought of as stupid (well...which I probably am ), what kind of motherboard should I be looking for? Just a normal ATX, or is there a certain size? I know I'm going to want an onboard LAN and video card and stuff, but other than that, should I just make sure I have an ATX case?

Anything else I need to keep in mind?

Alrighty, thanks guys! I wasn't sure where to post this...if I'm wrong, feel free to move me.

I was pricing a 1U out a week ago for $505

Here is the info:

ECS K7S5A SiS735 Socket A Motherboard $56
    AMD Duron 1GHz Socket A Processor $55
    Kingston 512MB PC2100/266MHz DDR Memory $129
    Western Digital WD400EB 40GB UDMA100 Hard Drive $66
    Enlight EN-2100SX1R 19-inch 1U Rackmount Case w/150W PS $199
    Subtotal: $505

http://www.essencompu.com

hope that helps!

enjoy
    chris <[email protected]>

You'll need a PCI riser card which allows one PCI card to be turned 90 degrees so it is parallel with the MB if you'll need an add-in PCI card for anything (maybe a second NIC if you get onboard video). Or you could go for a MB with two onboard NIC's in case you want to link multiple servers together on their own small LAN (for example to put an SQL server on one and a web serer on another) or in case one fails.

Are you going to get a case with hot swap drive bays?

Just make sure the motherboard fits the case. I was told to go with a 19" 1U chasis rather than deeper because this way you will not limit your choice of colos. I was previously looking at the deeper cases. But I don't think you'll have any problems with most motherboards fitting unless you're looking at a dual CPU system, etc.

One thing you have to get special is a low profile heat sink. I would also be interested in more info on the best sources / types of low profile heatsinks.

Also are blower fans always better than many 40 mm fans, or is it better to have tons of 40 mm fans in case one or more fans fail?
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

anyone thought of a used raq? i mean, its pre-built...but they look so damn cool...

You mean pulling out the underpowered innards and trying to build a decent server inside the cool case?
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

yep its like a pre-modded case lol!

With a free K6-2 keychain or belt buckle