Question proftpd - slow to list files

i have seen threads about proftpd being slow to login on cpanel servers, but i have a slightly different problem. my login seems to go fine, but it sometimes takes a long time to list the files.

it can take 30 seconds to one minute to list files - but not always,
    the problem is intermittent.

any ideas about fixing this?

Well, I havn't calculated the time, but it always seem to take long time. I work as webmaster on win2k based site it takes less time to list files than the brand new cpanel server.

Slow file list

You might investigate whether you're configured to allow passive mode FTP or not (this is both a proftpd AND a firewall issue if you're using a firewall). If passive mode is not allowed, then the client may wait to time out attempting a passive mode connection before it switches over to normal mode and actually retrieves the file list.

One way to test this is to connect with a client, and force normal mode before attempting a file list - if this eliminates the delay, then that's your problem. How to do this depends on what client you're using. If the cleint is a browser like IE, then it is attempting a passive mode connection.

Make sure your reverse DNS is configured properly as well. The delay could be a time out caused by searchng for non-existant reverse DNS entries.
    Brian P.
    Digital X Web[TM], LLC

UseReverseDNS off

in proftpd.conf and restart proftpd or send a SIGHUP to the pid
    Offering Managed Servers - for an exclusive clientèle who value uptime, caring support and superior technology.