Design Suggestions and Name

Hi all -- I am starting a new service as part of Data Ceter Wire:

http://www.datacenterwire.com/monitoring/monitor/

Right now it is called the Hosting Weather Report. It basically will measure network performance (measured using HTTP get requests) of various hosts, and allow customers to see how well a host performs over time.

This setup will eventually be mirrored on 2 or 3 servers around the world.

I have two problems:

1. I don't know what to call the service. I used Hosting Weather Report after the Internet Weather Report -- but I don't really like it. So, I need something easier to remember, and relatively simple -- with an available domain .

2. I am not sure what to do with the layout. I don't know if the table is best format, or if there is a better way to lay it out.

How about the bitWeather Report. bitweather.com is available.

Richard
    Enigma Hosting
    "I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying!"

A few suggestions (also see PM):

- Host Curator
    - Hosting Overseer
    - Host Observatory
    - Host Observe
    - Host Seer

Think of some words, play with them, latinize them (ie curator), thesaurasize them, etc.
    <!-- boo! -->

How about hostometer.com (pronounced like thermometer)? It's available.

Regarding your table, it doesn't look bad. But if you want to change it, perhaps something like this ?

Good luck with the project.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I like Hostometer, that has a nice ring to it.

Would also like to throw the word Audit into the mix.

HostingAudit, etc.
    <!-- boo! -->

Thanks for all the great suggestions...I like hostometer as well, I am just afraid people are going to have trouble spelling it .

I redid the table like this:

http://www.datacenterwire.com/monito.../index.new.cgi

Is that better/worse/about the same?

I think your new table looks better with its new format. Less redundant info.

Yes, hostmeter was taken, so the next logical step was hostometer.

Good luck with picking a good name.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by vito
    I think your new table looks better with its new format. Less redundant info.
    Thanks, and thanks again for the advice.

One last question...I have had several requests to allow anyone to add their web host to list. Originally this was intended to give an overview of the 20 largest hosting providers, but maybe something more is needed?

Do you all think that this service would be as useful, more useful, or less useful if all hosts were included?

Thanks

It would become a very long list. Maybe have the main ones in a list, then the others sorted in alphabetical order?
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

Originally posted by NetXL
    It would become a very long list. Maybe have the main ones in a list, then the others sorted in alphabetical order?
    Well, these are tested every 5 minutes. I could do a secondary list with any host added every 1/2 hour. This would put less load on the server, but still provide useful information.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to list all hosts that apply, as long as you structure it properly. As NetXL suggested, it would become a very long list. As he said, listing them alphabetically would seem to make sense.

After reading your last post, I see what you mean, though. Every 5 minutes for a long list would result in high server load.

Here's an idea. How about having a main alphabetical list that refreshes every 30 minutes, and a "Top List" refreshing more frequently that lists the best performers. Instead of just a top list of the largest providers. That way the best performing hosts get rewarded, not just the largest. Personally, I'd rather know who's performance is the best, not just who's the biggest.

I'm not sure how you would structure your script and db to do that, but it doesn't seem like such a difficult task.

Vito

The Hosting Harrold, LOL.

Originally posted by iamdave
    The Hosting Harrold, LOL.
    I decided on Hosting Weather Report (9+ month pregnant wife won out).

I registered the domain:

http://www.hostingweatherreport.com/

I also registered hwr.us (though I am sure no one will use it ).

I appreciate the suggestions made here. I am going to add the ability for hosts to add their own company, and flesh it out some more.

I also picked up a template from prelude785, so I didn't have to come up with the design myself .

I honestly liked Hosting Weather Report, as a name for it.

Oh man ...

I've been designing the exact same idea in my head for about a month or so...

I sat down today to start writing the functions for it. Ahhh ..
    I'm going the php/mysql path...

You beat me to it...

Well... I guess we'll see who wins then
    Competitions breads advances.
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Good call UU, it looks great. I also like the idea of adding other hosts, and what would be really cool is providing an icon that gives a sort of "authentic" feel that each host can proudly (or not) display on their page, possibly a dynamic rank?

Okay, maybe you don't want to develop all that.

It does look real good!
    <!-- boo! -->

Originally posted by DizixCom
    Good call UU, it looks great. I also like the idea of adding other hosts, and what would be really cool is providing an icon that gives a sort of "authentic" feel that each host can proudly (or not) display on their page, possibly a dynamic rank?
    Thanks Scott. The only concern I have with the icon is that the tests are hardly scientific proof of solid uptime. Since the tests perform HTTP GET requests rather than pings (to get around hosts that block ICMP traffic), the downtime could occur because the hosts were restarting their HTTP services (not an uncommon occurance). That's why their is no uptime percentage listed, I don't want to give visitors, especially those who aren't aware of these types of issues the wrong impression.

On the other hand...as someone mentioned, ranking in order of avarage response time, might not be a bad idea...and creating a top 20 list from that would be kind of cool . That could also be used to create an average response time button, which might be useful for hosts to display.

Of course to make all this work, I need lots of advertising money . Especially as I want to have a total of 5 monitoring stations (I have East Coast now, and South West (Texas) will be online next week, I want to add California, Europe, and Australia).

I probably shouldn't say all this, as i don't want want Studio to steal my ideas .

Originally posted by Studio64

I've been designing the exact same idea in my head for about a month or so...
    Sure you were...you're just saying that so you can't be accused of being a copycat .

I hope we don't start a trend here, like with the hosting directories, where now everyone is going to start a ranking service like this.

Originally posted by uuallan

I hope we don't start a trend here, like with the hosting directories, where now everyone is going to start a ranking service like this.
    I think what you're doing is a cool idea. And so were hosting directories when they first started. But as with most things, they don't stay as true to their cause as first intended. Now, nobody flame me please, I'm not saying all hosting directories. But some of them end up losing credibility because they get skewed by the almight advertising buck, or just plain old abuse of the voting process. As a result, the visitor loses faith in the site's ability to remain objective.

I think that in your type of site, accuracy of results is paramount . If you work very hard at making sure that the results that you show are as accurate as possible, and not swayed or affected by any external factors, you''l develop a resource that will come to be respected and revered by all.

Good luck with it.

Vito

I think that in your type of site, accuracy of results is paramount . If you work very hard at making sure that the results that you show are as accurate as possible, and not swayed or affected by any external factors, you''l develop a resource that will come to be respected and revered by all.
    Absolutely...that is why the whole process is automated, and I wouldn't dream of changing any of that. I want to have as automated a system as possible. Based on my results with Data Center Wire there are enough advertisors out there, that I don't need to worry about cow-towing to any one advertiser. It also helps that I am not trying to make a living off this, just trying to cover my costs . To me, $100 in advertising a month covers all my costs, anything more than that takes my wife out to dinner .

Originally posted by uuallan
    It's inevitable. Now that you've hitched up the bandwagon, people will jump on it.

Well, I guess you'll have to find another place to spend that extra money. From what I recall, when you have a newborn in the house, being able to get out to a restaurant is pretty tough...

In any event, good luck with it, and congrats on the imminent birth of your new baby

Vito

Well, I guess you'll have to find another place to spend that extra money. From what I recall, when you have a newborn in the house, being able to get out to a restaurant is pretty tough...

In any event, good luck with it, and congrats on the imminent birth of your new baby
    By taking my wife out dinner, I of course meant: "honey, do you want me to call the pizza place, or the chinese place for delivery?" .

Thank you for the kind words, we are now 2 days overdue and counting...needless to say, my wife is a big bundle of nerves .