need host for artists site

I am very new to web hosting and am looking for the right direction. I have been researching hosts for several weeks and am totally lost....

I am looking to create a site (shared) to be able to sell my artwork...paintings,etc...where customers can purchase them online securely. I am willing to use a 3rd party (paypay) for now, but may want to upgrade my site for secured purchases (ssl certificates) with a shopping cart.

I have had free sites before, but don't really know alot of html, just the super basics, will need a hoster who provides a sitebuilder to get me started.

I don't have a customer base right now and there will be very little traffic for now, but will need to support jpegs of my artwork. Am hoping that traffic will increase over time, so will be needing a hoster that will let me upgrade.

I am not looking for a reseller account.

I am looking for the price range of up to $15/month, preferrably free setup. I will also need to purchase my domain name from the hoster.

Any and all opinions and/or help will be greatly appreciated...especially any referrals to dependable web hosting.

Thanx so much in advance....

Lisa

Oh, by the way, i think I will need windows operating system hosting...I know it will be a little more.

Thanx.

First of all I would suggest registering the domain with a registrar that's not hosting your site. I would suggest NameCheap. I do all my business through them.

I also do the same thing as you but also provide coding.
    I started with 500 MB space and 5 GB bandwidth and that was perfect for my needs.

It should be very easy to find. Also why will you need windows?
    Last edited by john90; 03-31-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Lisa,

Head off to the shared hosting setion and use the search button with the keyword "windows hosting"

After you scan thru the host. Do a search in the whole forums using the host name.

The shared offering host url can be found here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

And the search button is of course up on top of the forums.

Then "pop" back in this section and post up what you found and maybe some folks will or have known someone that has had exp with the host.

Beware any host that offers you the "world" for a very low price.

This is just the start of your search. Then comes e-mailing the provider's you have chossen to narrow down the list.

Tumble
    *G.C. SOLUTIONS Elastic Sites Shared Web Hosting* - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Website On A Whole New Level
    *Dedicated Resource Usage Experts*

Quote Originally Posted by john90
    First of all I would suggest registering the domain with a registrar that's not hosting your site.
    I
    Good point by john90. you can use godaddy or namecheap to register your domain.

Tumble
    *G.C. SOLUTIONS Elastic Sites Shared Web Hosting* - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Website On A Whole New Level

Why do you need Windows?

My husband said I cannot use Linux if I have windows. Is this right? maybe he is not really sure. He said his company's website is Linux, but thier operating system is Linux.

Does this sound right?

Some applications are windows specific. what will your pages be made from?
    html?php?coldfusion?ect

Quote Originally Posted by kimfdim
    Does this sound right?
    Probably not. If it's ordinary HTML or PHP, you can host on either. You'd only need Windows if you had something written in ASP or had some "Windows-only" applications in use.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

I just re-read your post and you state you will need a site builder. If that is the case any Linux based provider can host you. Since site builders normally run HTML ot PHP as in the case of some "CMS" type programs.

This info oc course opens up a ton of providers for you since almost everyone runs Linux based OS

I am really green about this stuff....
    I will probably be using html. Possibly be using FrontPage or hoster's site builder. Sorry to sound so naieve, but i truly am about this stuff...that's why I'm here looking for help!

I actually mulled around HostGator's online forum, and am afraid to sign up with them as it appears that people who don't know too much about this kind of stuff sort of get heckled there. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I really want to learn this stuff, but I know it needs to be taken in steps. I was hoping to find a hoster that would make it fool-proof for the greenies, like me, but so that I could learn along the way. Probably being unrealistic, huh?

Lisa - by the way, thanx for all the help so far!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimfdim
    My husband said I cannot use Linux if I have windows. Is this right?
    It does not matter what operating system you are using at home.

I am running windows but have a linux host.

this makes my life much easier!!! and cheaper, too!!!

I would not use frontpage ext. Since MS has decided to discountine support on that item.

Lisa alot of providers hace fantaistico installed on there servers with some sort of site bulider. Plus cPanel itself has a ton of scripts installed that are easy to install. It would be just up to you to tweak the colors and what not.

I cannot list the scripts there are just to many. But i am sure there is a simple application for you to use untill you get used to being a webmaster.

Most fantastico installs have Soholaunch Pro Edition and Templates Express, which are both Site Builders. You could do a search on them to see if they are what your looking for.

Also here is a full list of what most have.
    I am not trying to advertise just trying to help.

thanx so much for all your help. I appreciate your time!