hivelocity review

Ok I'll keep this very simple.

Bought server Pentium D 3.0 Ghz. The processor I recieved was a 2.8 Ghz. They replaced it with a 3.4 Ghz. However it was HT and not dual core. They replaced it yet again with the correct processor. One week in to my billing period I finally had a usable server with the correct hardware. Next day there was two hours of "scheduled maintence". Couple weeks later I got 45 minutes of downtime. Checked logs and it said CPU was over heating. They replaced the heat sink, and rebooted the server. I was in bed when this happened, so I couldn't start services. 6 hours more downtime. CPU was still over heating, so he replaced the mother board. Again replaced it some 20 hours after the time I had designated, and wasn't able to start the services on time. 1 hour more downtime. After that, the error STILL persists, and I still get downtime due to heat issues. Server goes down every few hours for around 5 minutes. Issue is not resolved. It took a week to get the correct processor, and since then there has been hours upon hours of downtime.

So let's review. I'm on my THIRD CPU, SECOND mobo, and SECOND heat sink. Still getting heaps of downtime, and SSH is virtually unusable due to the constant messages it's sending to the kernel.

The live support is almost useless. All they do is either say:
    1.) Email someone
    or
    2.) Open a support ticket

So in the few weeks I've had with them, the first week was 100% unusable due to the wrong processor(s) being in there, and at least 12 hours of pure outages.

Also I should mention currently it's showing a CPU in there with one core. This was after they replaced the mobo.

Their ad on WHT @ (webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=562632) says:
    • DUAL CORE P4 3.0 Ghz
    • 1 GB Ram
    • 160 GB Sata hdd
    • 6 ips
    Do they even make P4 3.0 Ghz Dual Cores? That should have tipped me off to the service I was in for.

Ask them for your hard drive to be moved into a new chassis. Clearly there is something wrong with your current server.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

For now I've asked for a new processor. If that (somehow) doesn't solve the issue, I will ask for a new box. The thing that makes me mad about the latest issue is this:
    Code:
    The heatsink has been reseated however the processor did not feel hot. If you see this again we will most likely need to change the motherboard as there is a bad sensor on the mobo.

Ticket Details
    ===================
    Ticket ID: BEM-154569
    Department: Tech Support
    Priority: Critical
    Basically knew the heat sink wasn't the issue, and replaced it for no reason anyways. :|

While I am here - I'm relatively new to the dedicated server business. Since you're a "senior member" , do you think I'm entitled to a bare minimum of 1 week credit, and possibly a bit more?

On a side note of there are any linux gurus out there, here is the errors I get:

Mar 27 05:21:35 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature/speed normal
    Mar 27 05:21:40 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:21:45 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:21:50 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:21:55 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:22:00 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature/speed normal
    Mar 27 05:22:05 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:22:10 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature/speed normal
    Mar 27 05:22:15 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:22:20 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature/speed normal
    Mar 27 05:22:25 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:22:30 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:22:35 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:22:40 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:22:45 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:22:50 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    Mar 27 05:22:55 orthia73 kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    How can I disable that? It just spams the SSH session
    Last edited by Rub3X; 03-30-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Server still not fixed, nor have they even bothered to reply. What a total joke.
    Last edited by Rub3X; 03-31-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Is it possible that your motherboard/system is configured to alarm at an incorrect temperature?

Not at this point, no.

Here is an email I just got:

Hello,

The server is back online. I have added extra cooling fans to the case. Please let us know if you see any other over heating errors.

In the future please update trouble tickets as the emails more then likely went to Jacob who is off.

You did not supply the root password so I am not able to login once booted to start the requested servers.

When in single user mode running cat /proc/cpuinfo shows 2 cores.

However, it's still not back online. Thanks for another 75 minutes and COUNTING of downtime.

Here is an interesting piece of info. Their replacement of the mobo messed up the BIOS settings, and they really have no idea what they are doing. After 90 minutes of downtime they say they replaced a fan or something. He brings it back up finally, and says "OK it has two cores now". I checked /proc/cpuinfo, and of course it says there is one core. So since they 1.) caused the issue in the first place and 2.) have no idea how to fix it, I poked around. Here's what I found:

CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz stepping 05
    per-CPU timeslice cutoff: 1751.12 usecs.
    task migration cache decay timeout: 2 msecs.
    weird, boot CPU (#1) not listed by the BIOS.
    Booting processor 1/0 eip 3000
    CPU 1 irqstacks, hard=c03ef000 soft=c03cf000
    Not responding.
    Inquiring remote APIC #0...
    ... APIC #0 ID: failed
    ... APIC #0 VERSION: failed
    ... APIC #0 SPIV: failed
    CPU #0 not responding - cannot use it.
    Total of 1 processors activated (5988.90 BogoMIPS).
    ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
    ..TIMER: vector=0x31 pin1=2 pin2=-1
    Brought up 1 CPUs

It's really sad when a 19 year old kid with no certifications can diagnose problems from 2,000 miles away, better than their IT staff at the data center. Maybe they should fly me over for a job. Either way the issue is still not fixed.

EDIT:

Hello,
    No this is a single chip with dual cores. If it was dual chips with single cores it would be listed twice.
    Thank You,
    -Thomas
    HiVelocity Support Department

That's pretty sad, cause that's so totally wrong. SMP, Dual core, and Dual CPU will all be listed twice. This is just pathetic
    Last edited by Rub3X; 03-31-2007 at 06:04 PM.

Issue was finally fixed after another hour and a half. Here is my uptime report:

Dear Alex (username Rub3X),

To : Apr 01 2007 12:00 AM (US/Eastern)

1. CyberKnowledge
    - uptime: 96.904%
    - downtime: 23hr 00min

over a week of this is with my old host which had 100%. Their uptime is closer to 90%.

If I were you I would ask for a refund and find another company. I had the same kind of experience in my dealings with them. It was the most frustrating experience I had ever had in my life! The techs were incompetent, the wait time was just ridicules, if were you I would pull out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dconcept
    If I were you I would ask for a refund and find another company. I had the same kind of experience in my dealings with them. It was the most frustrating experience I had ever had in my life! The techs were incompetent, the wait time was just ridicules, if were you I would pull out right now.
    What's hilarious is they didn't answer my request for credit for 2 weeks of having the wrong parts, with 96% uptime. Joke and a half.

Ok, issue is resolved. Server is running with all the correct parts, and no hardware issues. They have me $75 credit, which is over half of next months fee. I'll continue using HV for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Rub3X
    Ok, issue is resolved. Server is running with all the correct parts, and no hardware issues. They have me $75 credit, which is over half of next months fee. I'll continue using HV for the time being.
    I am sorry for the problems. I am happy to hear you have a stable server now and have been compensated for the issues.

Your problems were a direct result of you somehow getting a replacement motherboard that did not support Dual Core processors. We offer a lot of server configurations here and a non DC board inadvertently made it into the DC motherboard stack. We didnt recognize this immediately which led to more troubleshooting (time) than was necessary. We also made a mistake on how the dual CPU was read in the cpuinfo file on Linux. This is not the norm and I am sure you will see that as time goes on. Our techs are very competent, you were just the unlucky victim of a string of unfortunate circumstance.

Please feel free to contact me directly should anything more come up. Please also make sure you keep your Account Manager in the loop with any needs you have.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

I'll throw in my $0.02 about this host.

Apart from a couple of servers we hosted back in 2000 with Ventures Online (remember them?) all the rest of our servers had been at The Planet. A couple of months ago we decided to test another provider and we ended up with HiVelocity. They were our second choice but our first choice (won't mention any names, but they advertise a lot on this forum) turned our order down (!). Well, good for us, HiVelocity had no such issues.

Order was placed close to midnight on a Friday and we told them we would like the server by Tuesday. They delivered it on Monday evening. We had ordered a 250GB main drive and a 160GB backup. The drives were reversed and they had to reload the OS, Cpanel, etc. We were in no rush so this was not a big deal as long as they fixed it. They did correct this issue and the server was delivered the next day with apologies.

We have had the server in operation without need for reboot or restart since it was delivered two months ago. No problems with the network, We were a little concerned about the Cogent factor but there have been no issues with speed. They did do a router upgrade and we were warned in advance about possible network downtime within a 10-15 min service window. I'm not sure if there was any actual downtime but if there was neither our server monitoring nor our customers detected it.

We submitted 5-6 support tickets, all but one marked as low priority. They were all dealt with promptly and issues were resolved the first time around to our satisfaction. We haven't had a need to try them with an issue that required immediate action (i.e. server reboot).

We're happy with the level of service we have received so far and at this point I would rate them a good value. I hope it continues like this. Will update at the six month marker.