Using webhosting to create awareness

Hi ..actualli my company is trying to increase our awareness by doing very cheap webhosting so can attract the customers in and then try to sell them other products..

do any guys here have experiences doing this? and have any idea..what will be the best way to increase the awareness so that many people will knoe about us this sort of thing?

Cheap customers are just that...cheap. They want everything for next to nothing and they are very demanding. Trust me, you don't want to attract these types of customers.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by rons_rons
    Hi ..actualli my company is trying to increase our awareness by doing very cheap webhosting so can attract the customers in and then try to sell them other products..

do any guys here have experiences doing this? and have any idea..what will be the best way to increase the awareness so that many people will knoe about us this sort of thing?

IMO thats not a very good move. Look around the forums at the vast amout of dirt cheap webhosts that already exist and then ask yourself how LOW you are willing to go? You might as well offer free services. The market becomes more saturated by the day.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I agree with the above. Be prepared for a lot of hassle.

You are likely to attract the "I want it all for nothing type of customer" not a very good idea IMO.
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

Before doing "paid" hosting i was sponsoring websites ie "free" One of the reasons i got out of it is because they always want more (for free) needed major support. Once anyone discovers "free" they expect everything for free.

So those that buy cheap i will give you everything in the world type hosting. will expect that from all of your products.

Granted my prices might be considered "cheap". Even though i dont hand out alot of things (as in amount of each item) with my hosting ie databases add-onn domains ect.

I am not sure that is the route you should take.
    *G.C. SOLUTIONS Elastic Sites Shared Web Hosting* - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Website On A Whole New Level
    *Dedicated Resource Usage Experts*

Really concider what your getting yourself into. One more example, do you really want 1000 clients calling you at 2:00 AM asking you how to set up their email, or 100 clients that don't? I obviously just threw bogus figures up here, but I hope you get my point.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

actualli the whole point was to open a door for them to get in ..then we can try sell them other products and such

Quote Originally Posted by rons_rons
    actualli the whole point was to open a door for them to get in ..then we can try sell them other products and such

If you're offering a mega-cheap hosting package, you're going to attract mega-cheap customers. They aren't likely to be the type that will spend more on other products. Also, as we've mentioned, cheap customers are the WORST to deal with. For whatever reason, they are so much more demanding and impatient.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Personally, I think it's an interesting marketing strategy. It could work, but you will probably find that the vast majority (99%) of your "cheap" customers will never upgrade. They will do nothing except demand support, and then do chargebacks when they are ready to move on.

I think if you want to offer "cheap" hosting as an attraction to your more expensive plans, you might want to just offer free hosting instead.

At least this way, there is no chance of chargebacks, and if they are unhappy with support, then you can always tell them they're getting what they paid for.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

We have offered other services heavily discounted to attract web hosting clients before (domain name, design, script installation) However that seems to work as we were discounting an item with a one time fee to attract a client to purchase a service that has a monthly recurring fee.

Not sure I would want to do it the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy
    Personally, I think it's an interesting marketing strategy. It could work, but you will probably find that the vast majority (99%) of your "cheap" customers will never upgrade. They will do nothing except demand support, and then do chargebacks when they are ready to move on.

I think if you want to offer "cheap" hosting as an attraction to your more expensive plans, you might want to just offer free hosting instead.

At least this way, there is no chance of chargebacks, and if they are unhappy with support, then you can always tell them they're getting what they paid for.

Funny thing is, we've offered free hosting for quite awhile and those customers were always very appreciative and we rarely heard from them for support. It was always the $1.99/$2.99 customers that were a huge pain to deal with.

Right now our lowest plan is $5.99 per month and although the majority of them are great customers, there is still a higher number of "thorns" we have to deal with on those...while our $87 a month clients (and our dedicated server clients) are hardly ever demanding and whiny.

--Tina