Any fellow audiophiles here? Interested in hearing some nice stuff?

I've got a friend in Chicago with quite a bit of equipment, he's running a pair of the Martin Logan Summit's ($10k) through a class A amp of some sort. I don't have all the details in front of me, but he's got some good stuff

If any of you are seriously interested in this, drop me a PM. I can't take anyone and everyone though, so please keep that in mind, one or two people at most. This would likely be a chance where we'd meet for dinner and then go over to his place for a few hours.
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Im not one yet, but apparently im becoming one.

I had a pioneer set (full rack) dated 1991. with 2 3 way columns. Pretty decent sound quality.

But recently i acquired someting - altec lansing fx6021. Supposedly a "pc speaker" set, this thing really does it for classic music. i coupled this with my creative xtreme music sound card, and with full crystalizer, im not listening my old set anymore.

Im thinking of building a new stereo sometime too.

While Martin Logan's sounds really nice, you havent lived til you have experienced a pair of JM Labs Utopia's. When I was in the industry we sold a couple of pairs of these, of course at $50K+ a pair, they better sound good. ;-)
    Tony Holloway
    Madrooster.com
    Fun Name ... Serious Solutions

Just about anything that JM puts out sounds good.
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions – Los Angeles and Manhattan NewYork based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices and a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP
    Facebook only Specials https://www.facebook.com/WebNX

$50k a pair should sound really good.

arent there any good budget stuff ? they say there are marginal returns - the higher price gets, the incremental increase in sound quality diminishes.

Quote Originally Posted by unity100
    $50k a pair should sound really good.

arent there any good budget stuff ? they say there are marginal returns - the higher price gets, the incremental increase in sound quality diminishes.
    That goes for most things in life

I'm running around a $3k 2.1 setup and I think I did pretty well for the money, however I know that I want a class A amplifier, that's next on the list. I've got a pair of the Paradigm Studio 60's, an SVS PC+ 25-31 subwoofer, HK AVR 335 receiver, and a Music Hall MMF 2.1 turntable. Other than the class A amplifier, room treatments are next as well.

I think the budget stuff, where you get the best bang for your buck, will be around $250/pair for speakers plus a subwoofer and a receiver. I'd say that if someone had $1k, they could put together a respectable 2.1 system - $250 (pair of speakers), $300-$400 (subwoofer), and $400 or so on a receiver. You'd be able to easily bring this down to $800 or even $750 without much effort, but it depends on what you want to do. If you know you want to go for a larger system in the future for HT purposes, then you don't want to skimp on the receiver for sure. Subwoofer can be skimped on a little, especially because you can just add on a second one later on if you need more power.

Eek: This is all a bit off topic, if anyone is interested, let me know. If anyone wants to talk A/V, let's take it into the lounge. If anyone here will be demoing audio equipment at nearby stores, or just wants to come with me, I might be picking up some stuff from this store: http://decibelchicago.stores.yahoo.net/
    Last edited by Anky; 03-30-2007 at 08:46 PM.
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

if i would spend something like that, i would rather choose to have columns providing their own bass, not with a separate subwoofer. like the pioneer stereo set i have.

8. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com