hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : HostingCon : Any fellow audiophiles here? Interested in hearing some nice stuff?

Forum Jump

Any fellow audiophiles here? Interested in hearing some nice stuff?

Reply Post New Thread In HostingCon Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

Any fellow audiophiles here? Interested in hearing some nice stuff?

I've got a friend in Chicago with quite a bit of equipment, he's running a pair of the Martin Logan Summit's ($10k) through a class A amp of some sort. I don't have all the details in front of me, but he's got some good stuff

If any of you are seriously interested in this, drop me a PM. I can't take anyone and everyone though, so please keep that in mind, one or two people at most. This would likely be a chance where we'd meet for dinner and then go over to his place for a few hours.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Disabled

Im not one yet, but apparently im becoming one.

I had a pioneer set (full rack) dated 1991. with 2 3 way columns. Pretty decent sound quality.

But recently i acquired someting - altec lansing fx6021. Supposedly a "pc speaker" set, this thing really does it for classic music. i coupled this with my creative xtreme music sound card, and with full crystalizer, im not listening my old set anymore.

Im thinking of building a new stereo sometime too.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:17 PM
WHT Addict

While Martin Logan's sounds really nice, you havent lived til you have experienced a pair of JM Labs Utopia's. When I was in the industry we sold a couple of pairs of these, of course at $50K+ a pair, they better sound good. ;-)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Community Liaison

Just about anything that JM puts out sounds good.

Facebook only Specials https://www.facebook.com/WebNX

Old 03-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Disabled

$50k a pair should sound really good.

arent there any good budget stuff ? they say there are marginal returns - the higher price gets, the incremental increase in sound quality diminishes.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by unity100
$50k a pair should sound really good.

arent there any good budget stuff ? they say there are marginal returns - the higher price gets, the incremental increase in sound quality diminishes.
That goes for most things in life

I'm running around a $3k 2.1 setup and I think I did pretty well for the money, however I know that I want a class A amplifier, that's next on the list. I've got a pair of the Paradigm Studio 60's, an SVS PC+ 25-31 subwoofer, HK AVR 335 receiver, and a Music Hall MMF 2.1 turntable. Other than the class A amplifier, room treatments are next as well.

I think the budget stuff, where you get the best bang for your buck, will be around $250/pair for speakers plus a subwoofer and a receiver. I'd say that if someone had $1k, they could put together a respectable 2.1 system - $250 (pair of speakers), $300-$400 (subwoofer), and $400 or so on a receiver. You'd be able to easily bring this down to $800 or even $750 without much effort, but it depends on what you want to do. If you know you want to go for a larger system in the future for HT purposes, then you don't want to skimp on the receiver for sure. Subwoofer can be skimped on a little, especially because you can just add on a second one later on if you need more power.

Eek: This is all a bit off topic, if anyone is interested, let me know. If anyone wants to talk A/V, let's take it into the lounge. If anyone here will be demoing audio equipment at nearby stores, or just wants to come with me, I might be picking up some stuff from this store: http://decibelchicago.stores.yahoo.net/

Last edited by Anky; 03-30-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Disabled

if i would spend something like that, i would rather choose to have columns providing their own bass, not with a separate subwoofer. like the pioneer stereo set i have.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Privacy Rights Groups Challenge GCHQ Mass Surveillance before Tribunal Web Hosting News 2014-07-15 07:40:58
Kim Dotcom Extradition Hearing to be Delayed Again Web Hosting News 2013-06-10 14:28:26
Kim Dotcom Loses Against US in Extradition Evidence Case Web Hosting News 2013-03-01 10:48:40
Megaupload Founder Kim Dotcom Planning “Massive Global Network,” Inviting Hosts Web Hosting News 2012-08-28 14:43:54
New Zealand Court Orders US to Show Megaupload Evidence Prior to Kim Dotcom Extradition Hearing Web Hosting News 2012-08-17 12:03:15