vps memory limit (virtuozzo)

i have a bad experience with a VPS server. i've ordered a virtuozzo-based VPS with 256 MB RAM, since my application doesn't eat more.

but it has both limit on physically allocated memory (oomguardpages) AND
    limit on 'private heap' (privvmpages), that includes RESERVED memory that is not actually used, and they both are set to 256.

since most applications reserve more memory that they actually use (overcommit), i have problems. for example, Java (i'd like to run Apache Tomcat on this machine) reserves something about 200 MB at start, thus if i run Java, i cannot launch almost anything else, for example, i cannot launch bind (name server) together with tomcat, because bind wants to reserve some 40 MB private heap even in simpliest configuration.
    some applications want to reserve some 500+ MB of memory on start, and while they use only some dozen megs, i cannot run them..

i wonder if such 'aggresive' limiting of 'privvmpages' is common for virtuozzo-based VPS. if it's not, i can complain to my hoster, maybe they'll fix this for me .
    (and what is typical limit for 256 MB plan?)

and what's about other VPS like Xen? as i understand, there's no reserve-limit for Xen, and i can even make a swap, right?

"typical" That would depend on your provider

privvmpages is burstable memory

yes for xen if you have a 256MB VPS thats all you get

I would recomend Tomcat on a 256 MB VPS

Quote Originally Posted by HostingBig
    I would recomend Tomcat on a 256 MB VPS
    Theres not much you can do with Tomcat on a 256 MB VPS, especially if there is a control panel and full hosting services running.

For Tomcat and other Java deployment, I would recommend at LEAST 512 MB, if not twice that amount.

-Sean

killerstorm,

Immediately seek a provider with a plan having privvmpages barrier 2-3 times greater than (oomguarpages barrier and vmguarpages barrier)

or a Virtuozzo plan which uses SLM