Thread: UK Dedi advice

UK Dedi advice

I currently have a Dedi in germany. Although the server is great, the latency is not to good.

What I have at the moment is...

INTEL DUO 2X2.8 GHZ CPU
    1.5GB RAM
    2 x 160 HDs
    Windows 2003 Server (Free Edt)
    100mbit port
    With guaranteed no BW caps.

I pay per month 71.00 in total (which includes the 512MB RAM upgrade)

I am wondering if there is anywhere in the UK that offers something simular.
    I realise that BW is an issue to most UK hosts, but what are the options I have.

I have looked around and I always end up with expensive prices or only a Linux option at a good price. I need windows.

My Second Q is: I have read about there are various things to look out for when looking for a low latency server. Like how the server is routes round the net etc.
    How can I find out if my current Host uses good or bad routing (sorry I know what I mean I just don't know how to word it. Hope it makes sense to someone).

Thanks in advance.

Space, Power and Bandwidth in the UK costs more than in Germany, so no, no decent provider is going to come close to that.

I highly doubt you have a 100Mb.s unmetered server for £71 even from your existing supplier.

A rough guess of a UK price would be around £140+vat/month
    You can add another £1500+vat for 100Mb/s of bandwidth !

You can do a traceroute to find *one* route the traffic mights take - traceroute.org lists a whole array of machines you can trace from - try a few out to see the routes.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech
    Space, Power and Bandwidth in the UK costs more than in Germany, so no, no decent provider is going to come close to that.

I highly doubt you have a 100Mb.s unmetered server for 71 even from your existing supplier.

A rough guess of a UK price would be around 140+vat/month
    You can add another 1500+vat for 100Mb/s of bandwidth !

You can do a traceroute to find *one* route the traffic mights take - traceroute.org lists a whole array of machines you can trace from - try a few out to see the routes.

OK, thanks for your help/advice

4. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com