hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : VOIP etc : Home skype server?

Forum Jump

Home skype server?

Reply Post New Thread In VOIP etc Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Web Hosting Master

Home skype server?

Hello all,

I'm not a heavy skype user, but lately I've been intreagued with Skype and its implementation into my home telephone system.

Here is what I plan to do:

Simple P4 computer ($150 for a 1.7ghz, 256ram, 40gb hdd)
Vtech wireless Skype phones (set of 2 for $90)
Battery backup in case of power outages ($30)
Skype in/voice mail, skype out ($60/year)

My question is, does anyone know if they provide Canadian numbers yet? Also, this does not support features such as 911 (would have to use the cell)

Am I just getting hopeful or would something like this work? Also, the business skype account allows for multiple account administration, so my gf could be on her account and be on the phone at the same time (heaven forbid she couldnt use the phone for 10 minutes).

Any skype users feedback is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Junior Guru

Last I checked they did not provide Canadian Skype-In numbers but this policy might have changed since then(December). Yes this should work, but don't even that strong of a PC for Skype, call quality using Skype-Out is usually decent but can be poor/delayed sometimes.

I'm still happy I snagged the unlimited Skype-Out for $15/Year in January.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Community Leader

This might be better suited here

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Web Hosting Master

I'm not sold on their proprietary setup and all the hoops you have to jump through. Keeping that PC alive 24/7 costs money too. Might as well just get yourself a SIP ATA and a SIP account with a decent ITSP (metered or flat, depending on your usage) and you'll be better of. Quiet, needs less power and more robust that PC+Windows+Skype+etc.

How reliable is Skype's service? Call quality? Call completion? Latency? Post-dial-delay? Dropped calls? Can you "set it and forget it"? Or does it need a reboot, troubleshooting on a regular basis? Don't get me wrong, Skype may be fine for casual use but I have my doubts about its 24/7 reliability.

A battery backup is a good choice, however, from my experience unless you have a very good ITSP and a good broadband connection, the ITSP or ISP will let you down before the power company will. Then again, I've been enjoying flawless incoming service and >95% reliable outgoing service over the past two years with my ITSP.

Last edited by luki; 03-26-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Web Hosting Master

Thanks for putting this in the propper forum.

For $150 I'll take the p4 I think. I know a simple PIII with 128 will do but most likely the same price.

I've never had any issues with skype, and the people who say they have are usually just giving into a self fulfilling prophecy.

Perhaps I should only use skype for skype out and let a land line handle 911, incoming and local calls? Only thing is, I'm sure Skype meant for their service to be somewhat reliable for every day use.

Does anyone know the average monthly cost to opperate the computer listed (power bill)?

Your thoughts?

Old 03-27-2007, 02:36 AM
Retired Moderator

linksys has the cit400 and i know there are others that allow you to run the phone with its base connected to the router, instead of a computer, allowing it to run independently, without needing to be connected to a computer that is on.

there are also alot of wifi skype phones out there, although its important to get one with a browser so it can connect at hotspots that require login/browser identification. with that you can connect at home to your own wifi (if available) and take it on the road.

to me skype seems touch and go. sometimes it seems to be worth it. other times I know I'd be better off working out my own SIP account, and not using their clogged up network. sometimes its very clear.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Web Hosting Master

I know this isn't Skype but...

You could install Trixbox on that P4, and pickup a few Grandstream or Polycom phones.

You can then order a DID from Les.net, and use Les.net for origination and termination. I think you'd have more flexibility with this sort of setup, and it's not overly complicated with the installation of Trixbox.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Will Host for Food

why not just pickup a netgear skype phone for $100 and do away with the pc requirement totally ?

they even work in starbucks

UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Old 03-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Living in the Virtual World

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellotech
why not just pickup a netgear skype phone for $100 and do away with the pc requirement totally ?

they even work in starbucks
Yeah, those things are great. One of my buddies has the netgear skype phone and it connects right up to WIFI. That would probably be your best bet.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Web Hosting Master

Not to spoil it for anyone, but if you are talking about Netgear's SPH101 then I suggest you read some reviews too. Read up on battery life, random reboots, etc.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Telefonica-Owned VoIP Service Jajah to Shut Down in January Web Hosting News 2013-12-02 13:33:15
Outlook.com Adds Skype Integration for Inbox Calling Web Hosting News 2013-08-19 16:53:33
New Report Suggests Microsoft in Cahoots with NSA Blog 2013-07-12 11:32:22
Microsoft Mixes Business with Pleasure through Lync-Skype Connectivity Web Hosting News 2013-05-30 13:41:50
International Skype Traffic Grew 44 Percent in 2012: TeleGeography Report Web Hosting News 2013-02-13 14:27:20