hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : My car ran out of oil. Need quick help...

Forum Jump

My car ran out of oil. Need quick help...

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

My car ran out of oil. Need quick help...

Please forgive the incredibly stupid question I'm about to ask but my car is old and has 150,000 miles on it and so lately it has been burning/leaking oil. So I just checked the oil level and the oil doesn't even show up on the stick!

So that means the oil is too low and I don't dare drive it until I put some oil into it. This car is a year 2000... and two years after I owned it the oil pump was messed up and this car's entire engine ceased and I had to pay $4,500 bucks for a new engine. I don't want that to happen again! This happened even though I was getting oil changes at least every 3,000-6,000 miles. So this should have never happpened. Piece of junk!

I need to quickly fill it up with oil but am not sure where to pour it. Okay I do know where to pour it but I have never done it before and have never looked where other people pour it so I am double checking before I accidentally pour the oil into the transmission.

If somebody could help me... pretty please... see this picture... the arrow shows where I check the oil of course. But the area that I have circled in the pic is where I should pour the oil, right?

Thanks.

Last edited by Frosty; 04-13-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old
KM Carpenter

You got it.....

Old
Web Hosting Master

Yeap, the part you circled is where you pour the oil. Good luck with the car.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Oh wait, and should I pour in just a single bottle? I'm worried to pour in too much oil because I read that if you put too much oil that it's just as bad as not having enough because when you pour in too much oil it can turn into foam and when the oil is foamy it can't flow properly and then your engine won't get enough oil in the important parts?

EDIT: You guys were posting at the same time I was. Thanks for confirming I had the right spot

Old
Web Hosting Master

A single bottle should suffice if it's empty. You can always check the oil level while pouring, so you shouldn't be worried about overfilling. Just make sure to check the dipstick at intervals.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Thanks I see. I just poured in a single bottle and then checked the stick. It looks like it is over half full now. Before it wasn't showing up at all.

Good thing I happened to check it =)

Last time this happened somebody poured in 3 entire bottles... I think that was way too much.

Old
Web Hosting Master

a typical 6 cylinder engine holds somewhere between 5 and 6 quarts of oil. (at least I think that's it)

1 bottle = 1 quart. if it's not even showing on the stick it usually means it'll need at least 1 and a half.

but looks like you got it sorted anyway. cool

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasan
A single bottle should suffice if it's empty. You can always check the oil level while pouring, so you shouldn't be worried about overfilling. Just make sure to check the dipstick at intervals.
WHAAA! A single bottle is usually 1 quart - if it's bone dry, which it seems like it is, we're talking at least 3-4 bottles. Your normal 4 cylinder engine will take at least 4-5 quarts. The v6's usually take the same amount - if it's an inline 6, then you'll need at least 6 quarts.

Your owners manual should tell you the exact amount needed.

Old
Web Hosting Master

If the oil level is below the minimum mark, it should be safe to add a full quart. Give it a few minutes to settle and check again. If it is still below the minimum line, add another quart. Repeat until level is above the minimum line.
Given that your car is losing oil at an abnormal rate, you should check the oil at least every time you refuel.
If a car is an oil burner it may be possible to minimize expense by using a heavy single weight oil--preferably 40W, but 30W if that is all that is available. At least that should work okay in Florida. Multi-weight oil is more important where temperatures get colder.
Since you've already had an engine replacement, Frosty, maybe you should check with AAA for a recommendation of another mechanic.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Another question; Is it actually leaking the oil? You'll know because there will be oil spots all over your driveway. If not, what color is your exhaust fumes?

Old
KM Carpenter

Make sure after you pour the oil in, you start your car and let it run for like 15 seconds, shut it off and check the dipstick again.

Old
Web Hosting Master

So I was wrong, 3 bottles wouldn't be too much.

But I'm not going to check the oil every time I tank gas, that's too much! I tank at least twice a week. I always check the oil twice a month which has been working good so far.

I don't need to check for another mechanic... I need to check into buying a new car!

This car is garbage and has costed me so much money in repairs it's ridiculous.

I know it is definitely burning oil... it has so many miles on it. I checked the floor on my garage... there doesn't seem to be any oil stains (just water leaking)... I'll have to check again tomorrow in day light so that I can see better.

What color are my exhaust fumes? I don't know... I've never looked. But I don't ever see any grey smoke or anything coming out of it though.

I just really need to get rid of this car asap. I can tell the next big repair bill is right around the corner. Anybody here care to buy it? I've been lying this whole time and just playing a joke, I PROMISE. It's a really lovely car... any offers?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Get a Wrangler! Go old school though, with the Inline 6's.

You know you'd look totally hot in one.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I do like this one

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/20...-unlimited.jpg

I can't believe nobody's made an offer on my car yet. You guys just don't know a good deal when you see one.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Grand Vitaras/Vitaras are known to burn a good bit of oil.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Phoenix NAP Replaces Bad Optic Behind Storage Interruption Web Hosting News 2013-09-12 14:50:04
Zenoss Releases State of IT Monitoring Report Web Hosting News 2013-09-12 13:16:22
HostingCon and the 6 Keys to Improving Sales Results Blog 2013-06-19 09:21:16
WHUK Partners to Offer goMobi Mobile Website Builder Web Hosting News 2013-04-15 14:13:01
CyrusOne Completes Houston Data Center Build in 7 Months Web Hosting News 2013-03-08 11:51:19