Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My car ran out of oil. Need quick help...

Please forgive the incredibly stupid question I'm about to ask but my car is old and has 150,000 miles on it and so lately it has been burning/leaking oil. So I just checked the oil level and the oil doesn't even show up on the stick!

So that means the oil is too low and I don't dare drive it until I put some oil into it. This car is a year 2000... and two years after I owned it the oil pump was messed up and this car's entire engine ceased and I had to pay $4,500 bucks for a new engine. I don't want that to happen again! This happened even though I was getting oil changes at least every 3,000-6,000 miles. So this should have never happpened. Piece of junk!

I need to quickly fill it up with oil but am not sure where to pour it. Okay I do know where to pour it but I have never done it before and have never looked where other people pour it so I am double checking before I accidentally pour the oil into the transmission.

If somebody could help me... pretty please... see this picture... the arrow shows where I check the oil of course. But the area that I have circled in the pic is where I should pour the oil, right?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Frosty; 04-13-2007 at 02:28 PM.

You got it.....

Yeap, the part you circled is where you pour the oil. Good luck with the car.

Oh wait, and should I pour in just a single bottle? I'm worried to pour in too much oil because I read that if you put too much oil that it's just as bad as not having enough because when you pour in too much oil it can turn into foam and when the oil is foamy it can't flow properly and then your engine won't get enough oil in the important parts?

EDIT: You guys were posting at the same time I was. Thanks for confirming I had the right spot

A single bottle should suffice if it's empty. You can always check the oil level while pouring, so you shouldn't be worried about overfilling. Just make sure to check the dipstick at intervals.

Thanks I see. I just poured in a single bottle and then checked the stick. It looks like it is over half full now. Before it wasn't showing up at all.

Good thing I happened to check it =)

Last time this happened somebody poured in 3 entire bottles... I think that was way too much.

a typical 6 cylinder engine holds somewhere between 5 and 6 quarts of oil. (at least I think that's it)

1 bottle = 1 quart. if it's not even showing on the stick it usually means it'll need at least 1 and a half.

but looks like you got it sorted anyway. cool
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Quote Originally Posted by Sasan
    A single bottle should suffice if it's empty. You can always check the oil level while pouring, so you shouldn't be worried about overfilling. Just make sure to check the dipstick at intervals.
    WHAAA! A single bottle is usually 1 quart - if it's bone dry, which it seems like it is, we're talking at least 3-4 bottles. Your normal 4 cylinder engine will take at least 4-5 quarts. The v6's usually take the same amount - if it's an inline 6, then you'll need at least 6 quarts.

Your owners manual should tell you the exact amount needed.

If the oil level is below the minimum mark, it should be safe to add a full quart. Give it a few minutes to settle and check again. If it is still below the minimum line, add another quart. Repeat until level is above the minimum line.
    Given that your car is losing oil at an abnormal rate, you should check the oil at least every time you refuel.
    If a car is an oil burner it may be possible to minimize expense by using a heavy single weight oil--preferably 40W, but 30W if that is all that is available. At least that should work okay in Florida. Multi-weight oil is more important where temperatures get colder.
    Since you've already had an engine replacement, Frosty, maybe you should check with AAA for a recommendation of another mechanic.

Another question; Is it actually leaking the oil? You'll know because there will be oil spots all over your driveway. If not, what color is your exhaust fumes?

Make sure after you pour the oil in, you start your car and let it run for like 15 seconds, shut it off and check the dipstick again.

So I was wrong, 3 bottles wouldn't be too much.

But I'm not going to check the oil every time I tank gas, that's too much! I tank at least twice a week. I always check the oil twice a month which has been working good so far.

I don't need to check for another mechanic... I need to check into buying a new car!

This car is garbage and has costed me so much money in repairs it's ridiculous.

I know it is definitely burning oil... it has so many miles on it. I checked the floor on my garage... there doesn't seem to be any oil stains (just water leaking)... I'll have to check again tomorrow in day light so that I can see better.

What color are my exhaust fumes? I don't know... I've never looked. But I don't ever see any grey smoke or anything coming out of it though.

I just really need to get rid of this car asap. I can tell the next big repair bill is right around the corner. Anybody here care to buy it? I've been lying this whole time and just playing a joke, I PROMISE. It's a really lovely car... any offers?

Get a Wrangler! Go old school though, with the Inline 6's.

You know you'd look totally hot in one.

I do like this one

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/20...-unlimited.jpg

I can't believe nobody's made an offer on my car yet. You guys just don't know a good deal when you see one.

Grand Vitaras/Vitaras are known to burn a good bit of oil.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I need to quickly fill it up with oil but am not sure where to pour it. Okay I do know where to pour it but I have never done it before and have never looked where other people pour it so I am double checking before I accidentally pour the oil into the transmission.
    Come on now. You're a woman, you know how to handle an issue like that. Open up a few buttons, go stand clueless next to your car, and wait till a man walks by, and ask him to help you out.

Btw - after reading that message twice it may have sounded a bit offending - wasn't meant that way But it's probably better to ask a man (or woman who's good with cars - usually guys are more into it) in real life for help so he can check whether everything runs properly.

I had to deal with a customer today that poured oil into her coolant overflow rez. What a mess she had =\
    Dave

Apoc,

No worries. I don't get offended easily.

You know what's funny... the last time this happened several moths ago the only guy around was this spanish guy who could hardly speak english and I stopped him for help. He said he didn't understand where to put the oil or what I wanted (even though I was standing there holding a bottle of oil!). He then removed my transmission fluid lid and almost poured it in there. Not joking. But before he did... he said he had to get something from his car... he went to his car (drove off) and never came back to help me!

He just left me standing there with a bewildered look on my face twirling my hair around my finger... thinking like oh my god =)

Which as it turns out was a good thing

Call my crazy, but how can you drive and not know where oil goes or how much to put in? I'm thinkin' that may be the real problem here?!?!

Because in the past I never drove a car that burned oil like this. Recently it has started burning oil super fast. I could usually make it a whole 3,000 miles without ever needing to fill it with oil until the past few months. Therefore I never even looked inside the engine because they would simply take care of it during the oil change I had every 3,000 or so miles. But now it's starting to run out in between. I did know where to pour the oil but was just double checking just in case because with my luck I would pour it in the wrong place by accident.

Also, I'm not helpless. When I get flat tires I pull over and change them myself... I don't know any of my other girlfriends who can change a flat tire... they always have to cry for a man to come and do it for them which is a little pathetic if you ask me.

So other than changing flat tires and filling it with oil... I know nothing about car mechanics/repair and quite frankly don't really have an interest in learning anything beyond that.

I'm not a dude.

Oh yes, and I of course know where to at least fill the car with gas

I'm not a "dude" either! Sorry, just find that odd. I was raised by my father, who made me and all my sisters learn about oil, tires, etc.

If I were you, I'd take it back to the shop where you got the new engine, if your engine is only 2 years old, there is something very wrong. Check your warranty on the engine replacement, it was probably only for a year, but worth checking.

So I was wrong, 3 bottles wouldn't be too much.

But I'm not going to check the oil every time I tank gas, that's too much! I tank at least twice a week. I always check the oil twice a month which has been working good so far.
    Sounds like you do need to check it every time.
    zaax

Apoc,

No worries. I don't get offended easily.

You know what's funny... the last time this happened several moths ago the only guy around was this spanish guy who could hardly speak english and I stopped him for help. He said he didn't understand where to put the oil or what I wanted (even though I was standing there holding a bottle of oil!). He then removed my transmission fluid lid and almost poured it in there. Not joking. But before he did... he said he had to get something from his car... he went to his car (drove off) and never came back to help me!

He just left me standing there with a bewildered look on my face twirling my hair around my finger... thinking like oh my god =)

Which as it turns out was a good thing
    Haha ok that is funny indeed

Well I suppose that most guys would have known what to do. If not, shame on them!

Quote Originally Posted by zaax
    Sounds like you do need to check it every time.
    You should never be checking your oil when you're going for gas, considering that the engine should have been turned off for a couple of hours when you check the oil level. If you're checking for oil while the engine has been on just before that, you're not going to get a reliable result (unless if it shows that there's no oil - because then you can still rest assured that there's no oil in there )

When you're checking your oil, make sure to do so before you start driving (e.g. when you leave from home).

For now I'd recommend to check the oil at least once a week or so, until you're sure the problem is solved. Driving around without oil can (and will) screw up your engine completely so it's worth the small effort

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc
    You should never be checking your oil when you're going for gas, considering that the engine should have been turned off for a couple of hours when you check the oil level. If you're checking for oil while the engine has been on just before that, you're not going to get a reliable result (unless if it shows that there's no oil - because then you can still rest assured that there's no oil in there )

When you're checking your oil, make sure to do so before you start driving (e.g. when you leave from home).
    No, the proper way to check oil is to have the vehicle on level ground, start the engine and let it run untill your oil pressure guage goes up to normal or the oil pessure light goes out at a min of 30 seconds. Then 30 seconds after turning off you check the oil level.
    This is why very many people think that their cars were over filled with oil alot of times, then they bring it in for me to recheck only to show them the proper way to do it.
    I average between 45 to 60 oil changes a day.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BoostBoards
    No, the proper way to check oil is to have the vehicle on level ground, start the engine and let it run untill your oil pressure guage goes up to normal or the oil pessure light goes out at a min of 30 seconds. Then 30 seconds after turning off you check the oil level.
    This is why very many people think that their cars were over filled with oil alot of times, then they bring it in for me to recheck only to show them the proper way to do it.
    I average between 45 to 60 oil changes a day.
    What about for cars that don't have a pressure guage and only comes up with a warning if low? Just let the engin run for 30 seconds then check? I was always taught to check when the engine is cold myself..
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast