Thread: "host jumping"

"host jumping"

ok so i've kind of a dilemma here.

i've been with 'x' host for some time. we've encountered a fair share of significant problems and now, regardless of what the host has done to 'make it better', the problems still exist (mainly concerning emails not coming through/sending in a timely fashion)

i've read a bit about people who 'host jump'.. and i'm already feeling bad about possibly making a move. mostly because of the efforts they have put forth to correct problems.

should i ---
    a)ride it out and see what happens with my current host and have emails get blocked, etc..
    or
    b)move my sites over to the new host and hope everything runs smoothly?

i don't want to seem like a 'host-jumper' but the current (ongoing) situation has me feeling bad.. in more ways than one.

db09,

That all depends on on how much you value your e-mail!
    There's no reputation police that are going to tell everyone you're a host jumper.

On the other hand though loyalty is a valuable trait but if something is too problematic I wouldn't stick around.

Which reminds me, I guess that's why I'm single.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    db09,

Which reminds me, I guess that's why I'm single.
    ha! nice work.

thanks for the words... i dunno. current host has gone out of their way (calling me at 12am, etc) to work things out.. but problems (again specifically e-mails) persist. they have taken a very diligent approach to fighting spam.. but it's resulted in a lot of legitimate e-mails getting lost by the wayside.

i'm getting to the point of where i'd rather let thunderbird sort out the crap as opposed to the host putting the ke-bosh on just about everything. this is with spamtrapper and spam assassin turned off, btw.

If you value your emails and the web host cannot do anything about it, do you have any other choice? If you absolutely have to change web hosting companies then go for it, no one is going to judge you. Maybe the web host just wasn't the right one for you perhaps?

i suppose you're right.

ironically, i am in the process of switching over to you guys.

This isn't really a solution, however, you could use Google Apps for your email instead of the service provided by your host. This involves changing the MX records in your DNS settings to direct to Google's mail servers. It uses the same webmail interface as Gmail (but does not support IMAP) and may be worth considering since it's free.

http://www.google.com/a/

i actually tried that.

less mail came through than going direct through the host.

i thought maybe it was an error on my part but the mx stuff and cname records were all setup correctly.

It can take time for DNS records to propagate. This may be why you did not receive some email using Google Apps. Personally, I believe Google is excellent at detecting spam and very rarely detects a false positive. If you gave it any less than 24 hours it might be a good idea to try it again. If you do so, be sure to check your mailboxes on your host and Google during the propagation period.

I move hosts on several times already and I feel that although 'loyalty' is a valued trait, it should not be your only criteria. I've been with some web hosts which were very nice to me and they have tried everything to help me but in the end, I have to think about my customers and thus made the business decision to move.

I believe that web hosts are run by understanding people and as long as both parties are not hostile and part in good terms, it would be good for all. If my experience is good with a host, as a parting, I will send them an email to thank them for their service.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Dave
    It can take time for DNS records to propagate. This may be why you did not receive some email using Google Apps. Personally, I believe Google is excellent at detecting spam and very rarely detects a false positive. If you gave it any less than 24 hours it might be a good idea to try it again. If you do so, be sure to check your mailboxes on your host and Google during the propagation period.
    i gave google apps a go for about a week. it worked great initially, then all of the sudden.. mail stopped coming. i checked all the settings (mx, etc) i knew to check and had my host look into it as well. all seemed good to go the google route.

i'm not a techie and obviously google's support is nil.. so i was back to square one.

I see nothing to be worried or think too much about. As eddy2099 noted, say "thank you!" and that's it. If they're a reasonable bunch, they'll understand that the end result is what determined your decision, not their efforts, which you do appreciate.

I too hope that changing hosts will turn out to be the solution to your problem.

Is it possible for your current host to deactive spam filtering for your domain/accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce
    Is it possible for your current host to deactive spam filtering for your domain/accounts?
    Seems to be to easy to help if the amount of spam is worrying, they must have already considered the option.

Quote Originally Posted by db09
    i don't want to seem like a 'host-jumper' but the current (ongoing) situation has me feeling bad.. in more ways than one.
    Even good hosting companies aren't right for every customer. Just because you want to leave, doesn't mean you are making a judgement about that host. It may be a great host for someone else.

It's always great when you find a host that goes "above and beyond" trying to fix a problem, but it does come down to whether you can live with the results. They might be a great host, but if they're just not working for you, they're not working for you, simple. I wouldn't recommend switching hosts that tries and if they can get it fixed, that's great. But if they can't, your only hurting yourself by staying. I suppose it depends on your level of patience. Host jumping, to me, describes people jumping from one lousy host, to another lousy host without learning any lessons. So if your going to change, make sure you research any new alternatives, look for reviews here and ask plenty of questions.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

you are one very loyal client i must appreciate
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

thanks to all for the advice!