2Checkout at it again!

Well here goes, I had a customer sign up 2 months ago, Pre-Paid for 1 year. His account has been fine but his webmaster ended up changing his nameservers for some reason and for 2 days they could not figure out why they could not get email and so on. So I worked on the issue for a while could not find anything wrong even deleted the site and created a new one and so on.. Did a dig and it came up asour nameservers ?!? so just for the hell of it did a whois for the domain and what do you know the namesevers were changed 3 days ago, called customer to let him know that his "webmaster" had changed the namesevers and that was why it was not working. He agreed and said that he was sorry but he had already went with another host. So I was like fine I will charge you full price for the 2 months and I will send a check out next week. Now this was on Tuesday, The check was not made out till friday due to the holiday and was going to be mailed out on monday as our mail goes out on mondays usually. Well Saturday I get a chargeback notice (note I have NEVER had a chargeback before) nothing about a dispute or anything just a chargeback has been processed. Now please let me know if I am wrong or not in being pissed that I was not even notified about this and the fact that I was only given 3 days for the refund. So I sit here with the check next to me a chargeback on my account and screwed out of 2 months of service for something that was a USER ISSUE.. Anyways just so you guys know when youpay the 50 bucks for your "merchant" account you are getting exactly what you are paying for..

Your intent was good

However, with 2checkout it is the same as with a true merchant account. You must issue the refund through 2checkout in the same manner as the payment was processed. Had you done that you would have been protected. At this point, you may still be able to issue the refund through 2checkout rather than having it processed as a chargeback. I don't know because I haven't seen the actual notice you received.

Well I say the problem lies with your customer and they have commited theft of service. Unless you offer a 60 day money back policy. I would contact the customer for the 2 months service and charge back fee, hire a credit collection company and dun them for it, if they do not pay put it on their credit report. It is one thing to charge back if you commited fraud on them, but it is theft to use you for two months and then charge back.

Well from the looks of it they just refunded it to him and I did not get any fee which I thought I would get with the chargeback. Then I tried to find a phone number to 2checkout which is starting to seem impossible, so I went to there site and tried to open a support ticket. Opened a ticket and typed for 10 minutes into that little tiny box only to click submit to get a 404 page. I emailed the customer saying that I really did not appreciate the chargeback and I will just eat the fee's rather than spending more time on this thing that it's worth and also gave him the option of sending payment if he would like. the moral of this story is 2checkout should notify us give us at the minimum 72 hours to reply before going through with it. And atleast give us the option to fight it and have them do an investigation instead of just running the chargeback right away. Well I think its time to go back to bed.. hope everyone had a good 4th.

Yeah but the problem is the credit card company may not have given them the choice, it may have come back on them and the money was taken out of their account so they took it out of yours. I don't think they really have that much control over charge backs.

I have to agree with Monte. I think this is more of a customer problem than a 2checkout problem.
    A signature will go here soon...

Originally posted by OKIHost
    Well from the looks of it they just refunded it to him and I did not get any fee which I thought I would get with the chargeback. Then I tried to find a phone number to 2checkout which is starting to seem impossible, so I went to there site and tried to open a support ticket. Opened a ticket and typed for 10 minutes into that little tiny box only to click submit to get a 404 page. I emailed the customer saying that I really did not appreciate the chargeback and I will just eat the fee's rather than spending more time on this thing that it's worth and also gave him the option of sending payment if he would like. the moral of this story is 2checkout should notify us give us at the minimum 72 hours to reply before going through with it. And atleast give us the option to fight it and have them do an investigation instead of just running the chargeback right away. Well I think its time to go back to bed.. hope everyone had a good 4th.
    I will try to have an answer for you on Monday.
    The employee that canceled the order does not work on weekends.
    TomD
    Director - Business Development
    tdenman@2co.com
    www.2checkout.com

You will find this policy with almost every merchant account provider. Its because the credit card companies (like Visa and MC) always give their customers the benefit of the doubt. It is WAY too easy to file a chargeback. Unless you have a signed, paper contract with your customer...its your loss.

NEVER issue check refunds on credit card orders. You need to credit the amount back to their credit card.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Can you actually issue partial refunds through 2checkout - e.g. original payment was $100 and you want to refund $55 ?
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

Originally posted by TheFish
    Can you actually issue partial refunds through 2checkout - e.g. original payment was $100 and you want to refund $55 ?
    Partial refunds can be issued.

You'd send the information to service@2checkout.com and they will do the partial refund.

Full refunds can be done by the account holder in their Admin panel.
    TomD
    tdenman@2co.com
    www.2checkout.com

It would be nice to be able to issue partial refunds via the control panel. TomD...maybe you could suggest that at the next staff meeting?
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Not necessarily 2checkouts fault

Depends what sort of chargeback was issued too!

And there are quite a few different chargeback types

1. Non-authorised transaction - This type of chargeback is rarely investigated. If the merchant does not have a copy of the sales voucher with a signiture, the amount will be refunded right away

2. Duplicate Transaction

3. Wrong amount

4. Right amount, wrong merchant

5. Approved transaction, but never recieved goods

6. Cancelled rebills with merchant, but are still getting billed

7. Credit never applied

8. Other payment method used

Well this chargeback kept getting called a "refund" so I am assuming there is prob not going to be any fee's added hopefully. Someone did contact me early this morning and told me that a full refund was given so I ended up just sending the customer a one time payment request and hopefully he will meet it.. Anyways 2checkout did what they were supposed to, and you are right it is waaaaay to easy to issue chargeback's these days I mean they really dont even question you at all anymore just run the chargeback adn thats it.

Originally posted by OKIHost
    Well this chargeback kept getting called a "refund" so I am assuming there is prob not going to be any fee's added hopefully. Someone did contact me early this morning and told me that a full refund was given so I ended up just sending the customer a one time payment request and hopefully he will meet it.. Anyways 2checkout did what they were supposed to, and you are right it is waaaaay to easy to issue chargeback's these days I mean they really dont even question you at all anymore just run the chargeback adn thats it.
    There was no chargeback.
    The CC company was not involved or (to my knowledge) contacted.
    TomD
    tdenman@2co.com
    www.2checkout.com

Originally posted by TomD

There was no chargeback.
    The CC company was not involved or (to my knowledge) contacted.
    Yes the customer first called Discover and in turn Discover contacted 2checkout and 2checkout in turn refunded the user Discover was contacted and so on.. Anyways its a done deal and it is over now..

What happens if you give a partial refund, and then the person does a partial charge back for the balance?