Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This irks me

This irks me

OK I know that online forums attract many people from different countries, who speak in different ways. I applaud people that take the time to learn enough english to post a halfway decent post, when it is not their native language. I also skip over what I guess to be typos, and even a few mispellings, but I am sooooo tired of people not capitalising either the first word in a sentence, or the word "I". If some one is representing a business, I expect almost perfect puncuation for the region from where the person is from.
    If this were a chat room, I would expect even less structured sentences, but I find it hard to take someone seriously when they spell "U" instead of "you"and the like. Espeically when entire posts are made up of this kind of thing, making the whole post look like one long license plate #. In my opinion, M8 for "mate" or other slang is ok at the end of the post (like "Thanks M8")

Anyway, just for fun, post your most despised slang words or mispellings. Lets not personally pick apart each others posts, just state what bothers you. If you can not have fun with this, please do not post anything.

Here are some of mine:
    Using "there" for "they're" or "their" (I know people from other countries do not know the diff, but english people should know better)
    Using "i" for "I"
    Lacking periods at the end, or capital letters at the begining of sentences.

hmmm, thats all I can think of right now.

I could pick apart your post for grammar errors, so I wouldn't rant about other people's problems before you correct your own.
    MagnaSavings.com - Tech Bargains & Deals
    Check with us before you buy anything with a power cord!

wat!?!? ? y would i waiste my time to type the word$s correctly to U ?

lol

IHAVENOISSUEW/HOWPPLPOST INCASUALCHATCHANNELS ORFORUMS BUTIAMOCCASIONALLY ANNOYEDBYTHOSE THATMAKELIGHTOFSILLYERRORSOHANDALLCAPSTOO!!!
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Yeh! What she said!

Well

Sorta

but

then

there

are

those

that

are

just

plain

annoying

to

read

because

of

layout

But

I

Oh ,. . . . . . .never mind.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

lol SWR, gee i hate it when you do that and you've been doing it a lot lately

I guess it comes with age

the worst thing is when people write with no punctuation whatsoever and continue on in run on sentances for the length of the post this really bothers me since its very hard for anyone else to read but that's okay because the person writing it apparently had some grasp of what he/she was talking about.

i r3@11y 4@t3 1t \/\/43/\/ p30p73 t@7|< 71|<3 t415

Re: This irks me

Originally posted by ATST
    ...but english people should know better...
    Nuff said... ooops
    Andreas @ DA Host
    DA Host - www.dahost.com
    Reliable Hosting · Affordable Prices · Superior Support

I have a good excuse then. I'm american, not english :-D

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones!
    iHosts.com >> Web hosting forum
    I own a webhosting community hosted at Dominet.net
    Thank you DomiNET

Originally posted by Tetraboy
    I have a good excuse then. I'm american, not english :-D
    that pretty much sums it up.

Espeically
    Such simple typos can be quite annoying...

(I know people from other countries do not know the diff, but english people should know better)
    There's that diff instead of difference. I see your point it just annoys me.
    These are not the 'droids we're looking for. Move along.

The mixing up of their, there and they're bugs me too.

ALL CAPS drives me mad.

NO caps is just as bad as ALL caps.

If you don't think punctuation is important, here are a couple of examples showing how your whole message can change based on the punctuation you use:

Letter #1:
    Dear John:
    I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy -- will you let me be yours?

Gloria

Letter #2:
    Dear John:
    I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?

Yours,

Gloria

Need another example?

"Woman, without her man, is a savage."

"Woman: Without her, man is a savage."

I don't think having everything perfect in a chat or forum message is necessary, but you do have to at least TRY to make a written message say what you really want it to say to the reader.

... and even a few mispellings, but I am sooooo tired of people not capitalising either the first word ... M8 for "mate" or other slang is ok at the end ... Anyway, just for fun, post your most despised slang words or mispellings
    One of the most common misspelled words is the word, misspelled (little trivia for you). Another commonly misspelled word is capitalizing. OK is okay, but not ok.

I tend to ignore the i/I thing, and turn away when I see their/there/they're posted, heh. The above pick on your post, wasn't really meant to pick on your post, only to show that when people type quickly on a forum, they tend to make small errors. I teach and thus I correct papers every day (get out that red pen), and try not to do it once I get home.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

LOL
    ATST

Wow man. Some of these people have made a FOOL of you.

I suggest not doing anything like this again

I hate it when people mix up there they're and their also. Also a pet peeve of mine is when people mix up are and our. Where, wear, and we're
    Last edited by jw; 07-07-2002 at 02:21 AM.
    Justin Bachus
    BlastHosting, LLC - Professional web hosting at a low price with
    PHP, MySQL, FreeBSD, and more!
    http://www.blasthosting.com

YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. YES. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY.

LOL WTF was that........

Either abstract art, or spam...
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Mispellings dunt' matter. Unless you are talking professionaly, but on wht, it doesnt really matter.. as long as people know what other people are sayin' , whats it matter?
    Quality Hosting Template For Sale! -

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59932

Edit to the post above, We arent in an exam room..
    Quality Hosting Template For Sale! -

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59932

NNHost i agree you dont need to have it all perfect and all unless you are talking with a client or somthing....

OK I know that online forums attract many people from different countries, who speak in different ways. I applaud people that take the time to learn enough english to post a halfway decent post, when it is not their native language.
    I also applaud those who have posted a message in a language which is not their native language.

I also skip over what I guess to be typos, and even a few mispellings, but I am sooooo tired of people not capitalising either the first word in a sentence, or the word "I".
    One must remember, words that may be misspelled to you are spelled correctly to somebody who may be from another country. There are many variations of English and with these variations come many different spellings.

As an example, here are a few differences between American and Australian English (I'm located in Australia):

capitalizing = capitalising.
    color = colour.
    mom = mum.

etc.

If some one is representing a business, I expect almost perfect puncuation for the region from where the person is from.
    When referring to a business letter or other formal and professional communication, one tends to expect excellent spelling and grammar. However in a semi-informal situation such as forums or chat, the occasional misspelling and imperfect grammar can be forgiven.

If this were a chat room, I would expect even less structured sentences, but I find it hard to take someone seriously when they spell "U" instead of "you"and the like.
    I also find it hard to take somebody who uses "U", etc. seriously.

Espeically when entire posts are made up of this kind of thing, making the whole post look like one long license plate #. In my opinion, M8 for "mate" or other slang is ok at the end of the post (like "Thanks M8")
    As I previously mentioned, slang is acceptable in an informal setting such as forums. However, one should not be excessive in their use of slang.

Despite being Australian where it seems the perception is that "mate" is every second word, I can't recall ever actually using the world.

Anyway, just for fun, post your most despised slang words or mispellings. Lets not personally pick apart each others posts, just state what bothers you. If you can not have fun with this, please do not post anything.
    The slang words I most despise include mostly abbreviations such as "U", "M8", etc. as you have mentioned. I never use them, even in an informal chat situation and would never use them in a slightly formal situation. However, I have no need to use them as my typing speed is a little over 118 words per minute so it is often just as quick to type the whole word.

Another commonly misused abbreviation which annoys me is "etc" for etcetera. It is frequently displayed as "ect". If people intend to use an abbreviation, they should use it properly.

Lacking periods at the end, or capital letters at the begining of sentences.
    Especially when you have done it yourself at least three times in your message.

I shall leave the message there.

Re: Re: This irks me

Originally posted by Chicken

One of the most common misspelled words is the word, misspelled (little trivia for you). Another commonly misspelled word is capitalizing. OK is okay, but not ok.
    Remember that not everybody spells capitalising as capitalizing. Here in Australia capitalising is in fact the correct spelling.

Regards,
    Shaun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast