Sorry Chicken - Star Gate ?

Hi Chicken - just me wondering here - you can even delete this thread if you want.

Robert Frost? Does he own www.***********.com - or it's URL?

>>The URL that was banned was the registrar star gate.
    I resell for them, and 4 others - I kinda like them so do my customers.

I can write NetSol's URL, and even Register.com's here - and my customers hate them two - yet Star Gate is going to be censcored here by WHT?

No offence intended here Chicken, really - I just need to know why this is happening.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi Chicken,

Can't you just encounter the person from the registrar and clear things up instead of banning the name from the forum?

Basmah
    Last edited by Basmah; 07-06-2002 at 04:02 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

If you want to buy a domain - do not ever use these links:

http://www.nsi.com
    http://www.netsol.com
    http://www.networksolutions.com

Note - I just wanted to see if WHT blocked NetSoL - or if they just blocked Star Gate. - Net SoL is allowed and Star Gate is censored.
      0 Not allowed!

There's always a reason. WHT doesn't censor URLs just for the sake of censoring.
    If you really want to know; why not just email the moderators to the address listed at the bottom of every page here?
    I like Star_Gate too. But, they obviously had problems adhereing to this forums' rules.

[edit]

Forgot to mention; you may want to look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=59123

[/edit]
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 07-06-2002 at 12:01 PM.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

SWR

I know your online, come on MSN..
      0 Not allowed!

Ok, just so I don't have to re-explain this via PM a few thousand times ...

Members/hosts/other are not banned or blocked for what they do off board. They could be the worst provider known to man and as long as they don't violate the guidelines, they will not be banned/blocked here. This is why NetSol is not blocked, for example.

The reason a block was necessary is that one member had posted about over 120 times in the domain forum alone (out of 225-ish) and a quick scan of the posts showed that many of these were recommendations for the registrar. I love removing over 100 posts as much as the next guy, but in the interest of having a life, a block was put on the name which takes care of things much quicker.

This was brought to our attention by a another member with a keen eye. It isn't fair to members who play by the rules and who only advertise in the three places we allow advertising (signature & profile, advertising forums, paid advert at top).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

So what do actually see when you scan the posts? How do you know that member posted in recommendation of the registrar?
    I ask many questions
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry, we cannot reveal the secret Chicken system As for the member posting recommedations, errr.. well, they posted something to the extent of, "Try blahblah.com" which pretty much seals the deal there.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

can you also check if someone has registered 2 usernames? (ip check or something) and if I suspect someone, can I check it myself?
    I ask many questions
      0 Not allowed!

If they relied on IP check, they'd boot out my husband and I as we are on the same IP# and are both members of this forum

Basmah
      0 Not allowed!

Luminance, there's no way for members to check. If you have a concern, we'll gladly look into it for you, just email. As Basmah was saying, it isn't about users having the same IP, though if her husband was saying how great BasmahHosting was, we'd surely have a problem with that

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

This does not make sense to me, I recommend Star_gate and although I would not go to the extend to put their URL in my sig I think that banning an active registrar is extreme.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Sorry Chicken - Star Gate ?

Originally posted by DotComster

Robert Frost? Does he own www.***********.com - or it's URL?
    My name is Robert Prost not Frost Grrrrrr!
    I own ********.hm not .com ... at least not anymore...
      0 Not allowed!

BTW: Net-fu*king-Sol should be censored, nuked, killed, hung, stabbed, burned.... etc

Quoting DotComster:
    If you want to buy a domain - do not ever use these links:

http://www.nsi.com
    http://www.netsol.com
    http://www.networksolutions.com

Note - I just wanted to see if WHT blocked NetSoL - or if they just blocked Star Gate. - Net SoL is allowed and Star Gate is censored.

I agree 100%
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Sorry Chicken - Star Gate ?

Originally posted by ShareFile

My name is Robert Prost not Frost
    You should feel honored you were mistaken for a great - but very dead - poet

Whose woods these are I think I know.
    His house is in the village though;
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods fill up with snow.
    My little horse must think it queer
    To stop without a farmhouse near
    Between the woods and frozen lake
    The darkest evening of the year.
    He gives his harness bells a shake
    To ask if there is some mistake.
    The only other sound's the sweep
    Of easy wind and downy flake.
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by timechange
    This does not make sense to me, I recommend Star_gate and although I would not go to the extend to put their URL in my sig I think that banning an active registrar is extreme.
    We think that spamming your URL all over the place not only is piss-poor netiquette, but it is also a clear violation of the guidelines. If everyone did it, this forum would be a wasteland. We need to at least try to keep advertising limited to the places whre it is allowed to be fair to other members who own businesses and to be fair to our advertisers, etc. It would be kinda silly to allow one company to spam their URL all over the forum while asking for revenue for advertising now wouldn't it.

For the most part, the policies of the forum are not advertiser driven. WHT, while I've been here, has never allowed companies to come and spam the forums. We work very hard to catch as much as possible so that people have a place to go and discuss things. We surely don't catch it all, but we do our best.

Most ban/blocks are removed within 15 days - 6 months. This may be extreme, however if you've been here for 225+ posts, I fail to beleive that you didn't know our policies.

We enforce a very strict policy regarding solicitation of our membership by Forum participants except in those Forum sections where advertising is expressly permitted.
    I feel this is more than fair, and if you feel the need to read spam, sign up for a hotmail account and enter your site into those FFA submit services.
    Last edited by Chicken; 07-06-2002 at 11:48 PM.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

if someone spams these forums they deserve to get thier name/url banned. its not good that someone else got caught in the crossfire with thier name but hopefully he will find a way around it that works for them.
      0 Not allowed!

And we're aware that it is more than an inconvenience, however there's no easy solution. If something can be done about it, then it will be. With that, I think the question has been answered.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!