Thread: Top 10 Hosts!

Top 10 Hosts!

Hello all;

Would anyone like to volunteer to help compose a top ten host list for an upcoming hosting directory? We have a staff large enough to make this task more then manageable each and every month. However there is always that bias towards hosts that advertise with you. And we would like to eliminate this and lookout for the well being of our visitors. And recommend a true quality host. Rather then top ten hosts with tons of advertising dollars. Therefore as stated, we would like to compose a completely unbiased list of some of the best hosts around. Our only requirement to be apart of this panel is that you no affiliations with any hosting company. We would converse at the end of each month in a private chat discussing and arranging the lists. This should take no more than one hour each month.

If interested reply to this thread or send me a private message. Thank you greatly. -Marcus

Re: Top 10 Hosts!

You would probably get better response if you provided some more info about yourself or your company. A one-day old account with no URL link does not provide much credibility.

Also, if a person has the insightful industry knoweledge you are seeking and is not working with a web host, they will expect to get paid for their consulting, especially since this looks like a business venture. So, are you prepared to pay?

And how do you determine the top 10 hosts? Will the subjective personal opinions be backed up by objective, quantitative analysis?

I really do not think how long of a member I am should reflect my credibility. Nor should I be subjected to such questioning from you. WebHostingTalk does not consist of the entire Internet. And believe it or not, there are some hosting companies/related sites unaware of this forums existence. And if you or anyone else is not happy with the info provided, or my "one day" old account then by all means get out of this thread. You wouldn't qualify anyway. So why are you in this replying to this thread? I do not need advice on how to aquire more volunteers. Or receive extra exposure. Because in fact as said, we have a staff that makes this task easily manageable. So I guess this is the route I will go.

Regards.
    -Marcus

My questions were a means of getting more info and are well within the subject of the thread. I wouldn't want to be associated with a fly by night outfit that hides behind a pseudonym. Instead of answering you took offense, which basically is another way to evade the questions when you don't have the right answers.

Your questions were not posed as means of getting answers. But rather to make flamatory retorts to demean myself and my company. In my defense I responded. I am not avoiding any questions. So next time try and keep your composure.

And if a member is interested all they would have to do is private message me. And I would be more then happy to address any uncertainties.

-Marcus
    iHosts.com >> Web hosting forum
    I own a webhosting community hosted at Dominet.net
    Thank you DomiNET

On what criteria do you plan to base your top 10 list, and is a single top 10 list enough? I ran a question very similar to this a few weeks ago, and very few people had comments on it.

The truth is, I don't think you can come up with a strait top 10 list. The list will probably need to be broken into 4 categories:

Shared
    Dedicated
    Manage
    Colocation

The way these services are rated varies so greatly that you will probably need unique requirements for each. You also need a series of checks for each of these lists, and you need to figure out a way to determine how hosts perform against these standards without going broke buying test accounts.

uuallen, I am well aware of this. And I thank you for your input. As for your question; The list will contain the best overall Shared/Dedicated hosts around. So if a host only provides virtual accounts, his company will be ineligible. And vice versa.

Regards.
    -Marcus
    Last edited by Styles; 07-06-2002 at 09:14 PM.
    Thank you DomiNET

Originally posted by Styles
    The list will contain the best overall Shared/Dedicated hosts around. So if a host only provides virtual accounts, his company will be ineligible. And vice versa.
    Then your list would automatically exclude arguably some of the best hosting companies in the world:

Rackspace
    Conxion
    Digex
    Inflow
    Internap

I certainly don't intend to tell you how your list should be managed, but you may want to give it some more thought.

I understand this. And even have a managed server at Rackspace. However I am happy as is. And will stick to these requirements.

Thanks & kind regards.
    Thank you DomiNET

WOW. I'm sorry but I think there was a misunderstanding up above. When I read the first post by hilda, I certainly took it as a legit Q&A. I wouldn't have taken offense to those questions, and would have been more than happy to publicly tell folks why I'm credible. As a business trying to succeed, credibility should not be something handled in a PM. If you feel that someone questions your credibility...you should answer them publicly if they asked publicly.

I mean, think about it. If someone asked me what made me so trustworthy, and I said, "well it's a secret, so I'll have to tell you in a PM..." that doesn't show trustworthiness at all.

That's just my 10
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

Allow me to reiterate. I do not care.

Regards.
    -Marcus
    Thank you DomiNET

That's surely a bad business attitude. I wish you luck.
    avidInteractive

I speak my mind. And if this is a bad business attitude then so be it. But let it be known-- it is not necessary to put on a 24/7 facade to suceed in business.
    Thank you DomiNET

I speak my mind.
    That is a good quality, but only when combined with the ability to listen to what others are teling you. I have a great deal of experience within the hosting industry, I've worked in it, I write about it, and I talk about it. Arguably, I am someone you would want on your panel, but I wouldn't join, because I don't believe you are using an accurate measurement of quality.

I think Hilda's question was appropriate: what is your methodology? Idoogle's comment is also appropriate: There are approximately 35 hosting directories available. New ones spring up and die all the time. What is it about your directory, aside from a flawed top 10 list, that will set it apart? What is the experience of you, and your staff, that is going to make this directory stand out from all the other directories?

Certainly this is a tough crowd, tougher, and more skeptical than most (don't send any Nigerian secret money letters to them ), but they are also your audience. These are people looking for web hosts, or who have hosting companies -- so they are going to visit your site, and if you are going to expect them to visit, or advertise on, YAHD then you will be expected to answer these questions.

It's a sad day when someone considers being polite a facade. I speak my mind too, but I'm generally polite, and do not get defensive because someone asks me about my business.
    avidInteractive

I speak my mind. . . . . . .
    But when you speak it such as:

. . . . . . . . . I do not care.

Regards.
    -Marcus
    it speaks loudly.

And not well.