Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes, but the price of rackshack's server is a $399(if I remember correctly), not to mentioned the large setup fee.

Most of all, its a pure cogent connection.

This reminds me of the conversation I had with a Verio sales rep just two days ago. I was inquiring about their VPS, and they said they don't charge for bandwidth. Upon my pressing he admitted that the actually limit is about 25GB.

The sales rep sounded innocent at the time. And he probably was, since he was selling to "business clients." However, in webhostingtalk.com, people are very into the details and they are power user of dedicated server (if I may put it that way). You may want to provide an accurate description of your service, instead of an "executive overview" of your offer.

Realistically speaking, if I a running a very popular ftp server, what kind of performance can I expect?

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Ok Basically .. if your going to offer 10mbit un-metered ..

SET a data-transfer limit per month .. to say 150 - 300GB per month

Also get another line in place ... say Qwest or XO
    : UTADMIN : Carl :
      0 Not allowed!

<I was posting at the same time Zak was>

What kind of 10mb connection are you talking about? Just a regular 10Mb network card/port?

I am interested in knowing how much dedication there is coming from your main verio pipe, not the actual hardware connection.

Basically, what I am asking is this: for example, I connect to my DSL using a 100Mb network card, but the actual speed is just (pitty) 786kpbs. In this case, I would like to know the connection speed, not the hardward/NIC speed.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ZakT4PH
    You have your own 10mbit connection to their network, and the mystery stops there. I am very good friends with jason and mark with rackshack and along with others and i know they don't delagate 10mbit per person
    I am even much better friends with Patrick Smith who is the boss of your two friends and he can reply here anytime on this.

But lets assume it is so... this is called overselling and is business practice. It is based on the fact that 10mbit clients only use ~30% of their allocated mbits. But in YOUR case that would make over 400$ already...

I guess I lead Patrick here and he will have a chat with "Jason and Marc from RackShack"
      0 Not allowed!

Its kinda hard to get another line in verios premier datacenter in sterling virginia, they wont allow anything else into their building. Honestly the maximum amount of people isn't that high if your on a line with 5 people thats 2mbits per person, I can guarrentee that in that situation you wont be slow. The network will or atleast should be a full 100mbit network with all the work on the 10mbit lines being done on the alpine

We have the capacity to do 2Gbits of traffic in and out and have the capacity to grow to 64Gbits due to the size of the backplane on the router, even if this doesn't take off we are hoping our normal dedicated servers which run 299/month

Right now we average around 600Mbits of outgoing traffic and a little under 50Mbits inccomming traffic
      0 Not allowed!

400? where did you get that figure from?
      0 Not allowed!

<snip>
    nothing worth repeating
    So you give me 2mbit Verio that is 120-155$ per mbit for 89$... yep sure, I believe you. The world is also flat btw, I believe THAT too.

The ~400$ come from 30% of 10mbit - 3mbit*120$ = 360$
      0 Not allowed!

i can tell you now .. your figures for Verio are wrong

Anyhow ..

Who says they will use 2mbit 24/7 ?
      0 Not allowed!

who's figures mine or his?

I don't know the exact price of things mainly because I just help run the network. I'm just trying to get out a product thats designed for companies or people wanting boxes for development or gaming servers or what have they in any given case I will say you will probably have atleast 150-200gb of datatransfer? I don't know these numbers are hard to call depending on what the other people do on the network too
      0 Not allowed!

I don't know the exact price of things mainly because I just help run the network. I'm just trying to get out a product thats designed for companies or people wanting boxes for development or gaming servers or what have they in any given case I will say you will probably have atleast 150-200gb of datatransfer? I don't know these numbers are hard to call depending on what the other people do on the network too
    I see, you just "help to run the network" now... hmm I bet when this thread hits Page 6 you will have become the cleaning lady of the place. Sorry but a little humor is mandatory

Ok so 150-200GB. But that is EXACTLY what I told you after I did YOUR math for you. I said
    You know, in order for you to get even you can give every user a MAX of 0.5mbit aka 162GB/month...
      0 Not allowed!

i highly doubt i'll be cleaning thats just the lowest number you'll have and thats a low ballpark evan at that 89 a month for that bandwidth and your own box isn't a bad deal.
      0 Not allowed!

Share Files figures

Do a traceroute on the domain

"prohosters.com"
      0 Not allowed!

While I think that ShareFile should worry about answering the questions in his own ad thread about his connection to the new "Cogent XP", I believe that this new offer ( and particularly the thread ) has been taken a bit off course.

Those with questions about the offer should email or PM the thread starter and not engage in an attack on their credibility in the thread of their offer.

I have spoken my peace. Waiting on the mod's to clean this mess up.
    Last edited by go2search; 07-05-2002 at 11:02 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by go2search
    While I think that ShareFile should worry about answering the questions in his own ad thread about his connection to the new "Cogent XP", I believe that this new offer ( and particularly the thread ) has been taken a bit off course.

Those with questions about the offer should email or PM the thread starter and not engage in an attack on their credibility in the thread of their offer.

I have spoken my peace. Waiting on the mod's to clean this mess up.
    Oh hi PAT PRICE... stalking me again?
      0 Not allowed!

no .. that would be your shadow
      0 Not allowed!

... and thats a low ballpark evan at that 89 a month for that bandwidth and your own box isn't a bad deal.
    I agree totally with you that if your offer would have been 150-200GB/month or 0.5mbit for 89$/month, it would have been a nice deal and I would even have posted my famous "Nice offer!" ehich I always do when I see a worthy offer
      0 Not allowed!

This is just another misleading offer DESIGNED to mislead an end user into thinking they are going to get 3200 gigs of bandwidth and a server for $89.

There REALLY needs to be rules about stuff like this.

You think any car manufacturer would be allowed to advertise a car that only needed 1 tankful of gas for the next 10 years of operation (non electric car that is) but in the fine print once you go to buy it says 'we cannot guarantee 10 year's of use on 1 tank full of gas if you drive more than 5 miles a year because this offer is designed for people who don't drive a lot'. ?

So this offer is designed for those who don't use a lot of bandwidth but yet is advertised as having 10mb unmetered. And then it's explained that performance can't be guaranteed on such an offer.

On a weekly basis now for some time there's always a new 'too good to be true offer than no one else can possible do'... there's always a new trick people are trying to pull to trick people into buying.
      0 Not allowed!

On one hand, this does sound like a deceptive offer.

I do sympathize with Zak's position though. He came from a background where sales rep deals with "business client" who wants "executive overview." He is not accustomed to selling to power-users like us. (read my encounter with a verio sales rep above).

This is understandable, but obviously not right. Zak, maybe you could take a lesson from this?

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Refrain from attacking the offer and please ask questions. If you do this, then we all can figure out what the heck up.

ZakT4PH, is this offer anything less than a guaranteed $89/month for a dedicated server with 10Mbit un-metered connectivity? In other words, if someone wants/needs to use up to 10Mbit, can they do it.

You won't be able to push out the maximum gigabytes of a 10Mbit connection (directed at members), however you should be able to get the full 10Mbit peak when you need it and not be limited to other servers sharing it.

Please post answer here and email mods.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

its a 10mbit line shared, meaning at any one point in given time you can hit the 10mbits and even go over it but the goal is to keep everyone at their spikes totaling 10mbits. We are finalizing this plan and have several people interested in this plan since it fits their needs. However for full blown 100mbit lines would require a regular dedicated that we have for 299/month the specs are as follows

1.1ghz * you can upgrade to a dual 1.1ghz machine if you would like
    256mb ram * upgradable to 2gb
    80gb hard drive *additional hard drives can be requsted and setup in a IDE raid, 0, 0+1 or 5
    Freebsd
    Managed * which means we control the upgrades and are responsible for everything, you just need to upload and be on your way
    299/month 300/setup

1.1ghz *ability to add a second processor with no problems
    512mb ram
    80GB hard dirve
    on board raid ability, upon request with second drive
    Managed
    and 300gb bandwidth - 499/month 300/setup
    or 1000gb bandwidth - 999/month 300/setup

We also sell bulk bandwidth and clustering solutions, soon we will be doing managed dedicated services with clustering on the fly incase you have a boost intraffic and need the extra server support, we will have you up and running inside the cluster with in hours of the request.
    Last edited by ZakT4PH; 07-06-2002 at 03:44 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, the closest router I can id on my traceroute to them, is a GigE connection.
      0 Not allowed!

1.1ghz * you can upgrade to a dual 1.1ghz machine if you would like
    256mb ram * upgradable to 2gb
    80gb hard drive *additional hard drives can be requsted and setup in a IDE raid, 0, 0+1 or 5
    Freebsd
    Managed * which means we control the upgrades and are responsible for everything, you just need to upload and be on your way
    299/month 300/setup

1.1ghz *ability to add a second processor with no problems
    512mb ram
    80GB hard dirve
    on board raid ability, upon request with second drive
    Managed
    and 300gb bandwidth - 499/month 300/setup
    or 1000gb bandwidth - 999/month 300/setup
    Now THAT are offers that I can even sign with my "Nice offer!"
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ShareFile

Now THAT are offers that I can even sign with my "Nice offer!"
    Agreed, those plans are more realistic! Nice offer

On another note -- sorry to see this thread deteriorate like it did, Zak. I guess this was just a learning experience. Good luck to you
    Jay &#187; jay@frontdrive.com • AIM &#187; FDrive Support
    Front Drive&trade; &#187; Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Yup .. i bet it was a learning expernience ..

Never use the word "un-metered" or "unlimited" , unless you want to be flamed ( well done )
      0 Not allowed!

hehe
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast