Thread: IPs or IP's?

IPs or IP's?

Don't know if this has been asked before but isn't the correct way of saying the plural form of IP, IPs? IP's would be the posessive form, correct? I pretty sure this is the normal English grammar convention but I see IP's so much (and there are also the many other sites that use both IPs and IP's) that I wonder if it really is IP's and not IPs.
      0 Not allowed!

It really should be IPs and not IP's and for the reason you gave... IP's is the posessive form. At least that's what I think. I know I'm guilty of doing it both ways.
      0 Not allowed!

I have 200 IPs.

This IP's broadcast address is 12.23.34.255.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mushrew
    but I see IP's so much (and there are also the many other sites that use both IPs and IP's) that I wonder if it really is IP's and not IPs.
    Well you certainly can't use the fact that a particular usage appears a lot on the web to determine whether it's "right!"

The general rule would be that you wouldn't use an apostrophe for the plural form of an acronym that is written without periods, unless the acronym ends in "S." But acronyms using periods would take an apostrophe, as one of the few exceptions in which a plural form would be written that way.

So a bunch of C.P.A.'s would send SOS's from multiple IPs.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JayC
    The general rule would be that you wouldn't use an apostrophe for the plural form of an acronym that is written without periods, unless the acronym ends in "S." But acronyms using periods would take an apostrophe, as one of the few exceptions in which a plural form would be written that way.
    heh... cool... I learned something new today. Thanks JayC.
      0 Not allowed!

Actually, using IPs or IP's isn't proper to begin with. In order to use an acronym within a sentence it has to make sense if the acronym is expanded, therefore it should read "I need more IP addresses" or "It's the IP address' own fault."

So why nit-pick IPs versus IP's, when the use itself isn't correct?
    <!-- boo! -->
      0 Not allowed!

bla bla bla....well I guess your right...
    Marko P. | mpaivarinta@pulsehost.com
    http://www.pulsehost.com - Advanced Hosting Solutions
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by DizixCom
    . . . . . . . .
    Because we wanna say IPs.
    Addresses has waaaaaaaay too many letters in it.

Now that I think about, waaaaaaaay has too many letters in it.

hmmm (not sure if it has too many letters) ["hmmm" not "it"]

Now look at all the letters you made me put here; when we were just interested in how to use three.

Sure am glad that secretarial schooling is finally paying off for me.

There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JayC
    Well you certainly can't use the fact that a particular usage appears a lot on the web to determine whether it's "right!"

So a bunch of C.P.A.'s would send SOS's from multiple IPs.
    I thought there was a rule like which might make it IP's and so many sites have it as IP's I figured I was probably missing out on the rule, but I had no idea what it was. Thanks for your enlightenment =).
      0 Not allowed!

IPs, IP's would show possession. IPs shows plural.
      0 Not allowed!

Depends on your usage. If you are referring to multiple Internet Protocols, then IPs would be correct (unless you are referring to a trait possessed by an Internet Protocol in which case IP's would be correct).

However, most of the time, people are referring to multiple Internet Protocol Addresses, in which case you are absolutely correct, it is IP Addresses.
      0 Not allowed!

Of course, there are bigger fish to fry around here grammar-wise. The you're your confusion that some people seem to have is much more troublesome. :p
      0 Not allowed!

i see IPs most!

but have seen some IP's
      0 Not allowed!

I always say IPs
      0 Not allowed!

Well, if you're really going to be picky, most grammarians would probably say that it's the usage that isn't correct.

But I think an argument could be made that "IP" has become accepted as synonymous with "IP address," based on how commonly its used that way.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.
      0 Not allowed!

Grammarian? Some of us are just curious =P.
      0 Not allowed!

Er, yeah, what SoftwareRevue and uualan said is good stuff. And JayC was right as well, I shoulda used usage, but, umm, I was testin ya'll! Yeah...

IPs, IP's, IP Addresses, Their, There, They're, Which or Witch. It's my language and I'll butcher it however I see fit! So they're! <--

I also wonder about the usage of some acronyms, ie:

Is it an LLC or is it a LLC? Do you build your sentence assuming the acronym will be expanded, there for the word "limited" comes after the "a", or do you build your sentence assuming the acronym will be spoke as written, like "El El See", in which case "an" is more appropriate than "a".

is are was were have had has am will do does did be been, etc. etc. etc as the bald guy used to say.
    <!-- boo! -->
      0 Not allowed!