hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : Cheapest Wildcard SSL Certs?

Forum Jump

Cheapest Wildcard SSL Certs?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Cheapest Wildcard SSL Certs?

Where can I find the cheapest wildcard SSL certificates?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Old
WHT Addict

You might look at servertastic.com selling RapidSSL wildcards for $159. Not sure if it's the cheapest but I think thats about the lowest I've seen. If you only need a few subdomains then you can buy several single domain ones for $13.95 each.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Are there any quality issues at SSL?

Except price what else has to be considered when choosing SSL?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haary
Are there any quality issues at SSL?

Except price what else has to be considered when choosing SSL?

Thanks.
To me, there isnt. Apart from the provider in-case you need support.

But as far as the low end certs to the high ends. I'll always stick with the low end ones. Mainly because the end user will never care about the type of SSL we are using, as long as it is secure and recognised by the browser they are happy.

But for most ecommerce sites, they should get a site seal. But even most of the low end ones from geotrust have these included.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

What is your solution, camers, which wildcart SSL certs are you going to choose?

I am also looking for wildcart SSL certs.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haary
What is your solution, camers, which wildcart SSL certs are you going to choose?

I am also looking for wildcart SSL certs.
The rapid SSL certs look good for the cash.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by csavery
You might look at servertastic.com selling RapidSSL wildcards for $159. Not sure if it's the cheapest but I think thats about the lowest I've seen. If you only need a few subdomains then you can buy several single domain ones for $13.95 each.
One thing to consider is that with a wildcard cert you only need on IP for all those subdomains; with multiple single certs you need an IP per site.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

The SSL cert is for the fully qualified domain name. In your case the FQDN would be www.mydomain.com which would cover the entire domain regardless of folder layout. In this case, you only need one SSL certificate.

An example case where you would need a wildcard or multiple SSL certificates would be if you needed SSL for multiple FQDN's such as secure.mydomain.com, server1.mydomain.com, server2.mydomain.com, and customerssl.mydomain.com.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

For my Internet auction platform with high traffic is it necessary to purchase one single GeoTrust SSL certificate instead of one single RapidSSL certificate?

For security reasons is it necessary to use

register.mydomain.com
instead of
mydomain.com/register

or
payment.mydomain.com
instead of
mydomain.com/payment

An answer to this question would tell me how many SSL certificates I would have to buy.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Either way will work. The only security reason I would think of is if both of those sections were operated by separate orginizations. In that case you would want 2 certs so you could order the certificate with the appropriate organizations information tied to it.

Otherwise you might like a 3rd option which is what I do, create a domain like secure.mydomain.com and purchase a SSL certificate for that fqdn and then perform your secure actions using it. Though it is really up to you. Maybe someone else might have a better idea of what security implications both have.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

There is no difference between

payment.mydomain.com
mydomain.com/payment

In terms of using an SSL certificate. Purchasing the certificate for mydomain.com will allow you to secure any sub folders on that domain but not any sub domains.

Also note that purchasing a SSL certificate for mydomain.com will not work on www.mydomain.com as the certificate needs to match the domain exactly.

Old
WHT Addict

Well, there is a small difference above. With a subdomain you would find it easy to host subdomains on different machines or in different locations, whereas with a subdirectory you would have to wrangle some other config like a redirect (probably not too functional with ssl) or a proxy to another machine. Never had to do either of those two for a secure subdirectory but they may be possible. With a subdomain you can host them on the same machine and when you grow bigger you can simply move that subdomain quickly onto another box and continue on. Though I will grant you that if you were growing big enough for that then you would likely have no problem buying a wildcard cert or a new one for the new subdomain.

Old

I've purchased RapidSSL wildcard from ClickSSL.com at just $139/year. They also have other pricing option on multiple year purchase. I'm just really satisfied with Rapidssl Wildcard certificate because of it's high level of encryption as well as it's a cost effective solution.

Old
Always Learning...

Just a note, security is not dependent on the certificate you use, they are just signing and issuing a certificate that you are using SSL. Even a selfsigned CRT is as secure as any other commercial CRT. Commercial certificates are for recognition by the browsers and for showing that fancy seal/logo to visitors.

For cheap wildcard SSL certificate, I think you won't get it any cheaper than US $ 49.90 and for that visit https://www.startssl.com/?app=2

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - August 15, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-08-15 16:16:33
Nutty About Hosting Listing 2014-12-10 12:48:04
Web Host Site5 Teams Up with Comodo to Resell SSL Certificates Web Hosting News 2013-04-11 14:41:24
Mozilla Updates CA Certificate Policy for Software Products Web Hosting News 2013-02-19 12:32:22
Browsers Block Unauthorized Digital Certificate Issued by Turkish CA TURKTRUST Web Hosting News 2013-01-04 12:55:27