New web design site needs review

I seem to be getting more design jobs these days, and I keep getting asked for a link to my portfolio site. Well, I never put one together yet.

So I decided to build a site for this purpose. The only page done so far is the home page. I don't want to build any sub pages until I get the overall design finalized.

Please let me know what you think.
    www.dzyntech.com

Thanks.
    Vito
    Last edited by vito; 07-07-2002 at 04:01 AM.
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Nice job Vito

Looks good from here (mac ie 5) !

Wow, the site looks very professional and really nice! Good work!
    Nirav S. - [email protected]
    Administrator
    Pulse Host - Advanced Hosting Solutions
    http://www.pulsehost.com

Thanks for the comments.

Question:
    As a site selling web design, does it need more "pizzazz"? Is it flashy enough? Is it too basic of a design?

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

it's not that flashy because some of the colors are somewhat dull, the grey and low saturated blue.

check out http://www.thefincompany.com or http://www.gnomist.com

those are awesome

hey, I checked out WaterHosting.Com and they're kinda cheating their customers. 5GB/month transfer for $30/month?? I have 20GB, can sell that for $120/month... wow

I appreciate your comments.
    Well, when I ask if it's "flashy" enough, I guess I'm not really asking about the colors. I'm asking more if there are enough good "design elements" to present itself as a design site.

Yes, fincompany is pretty cool. I'm not crazy about gnomist.

Re waterhosting prices, don't forget, that's $30 Canadian which is about $19 US. At $19, it's not the cheapest around, but it wasn't intended to be the cheapest. Customer support, after all, does not come free. But then that's another topic for another forum...

Vito

WoW! it's really nice and classic in my opinion for a web design co. Wish I could design something like that. BTW Vito, could you advice what software/program you used to create such a design if you don't mind me asking?

Great work!
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

hey Vito,
    your work keeps getting better.......

In presenting a portfolio type site it seems there are two ways to go about it......

1) present something that blows the socks off visitors,has no functionality but showcases how flash can be used......or

2) present a business oriented site that shows you know how to develop for business with business goals in mind...ie: usability, functionality, blah blah.....

Yours fits into the second category and it fits in well.......I think that is a good thing, it shows that you understand how to deliver products that can actually be used......anyway, enough rambling......

The Design:
    It is clean and clear and still has very effectional presentational qualities.....The functionality is there, and so is the selling part(which gets straight to the point, and doesnt waste anyones time)

Constructive Criticism:
    The part on the left I would make less wide, or even swap to the right side.....I am currently browsing in 800*600 and I keep getting the tendency to scroll right, mainly because of the left fill......

Recommendation:
    One of the most important things a portfolio site should do is create some type of mood or atmosphere. Hence I would recommend swapping the picture of the girl with something that satisfies the criteria just mentioned.....the picture of the girl fits in well, and does look good on the site.........but some type of imagery that creates atmosphere, mood or emotion will have a stronger effect on the visitor, thus hopefully making them more willing to purchase.......I hope that made sense........

nice work Vito.......

cheers
    --

cactus:
    I use the magic Macromedia combo : Dreamweaver and Fireworks.
    I love Macromedia. BTW, in about 2 weeks, watch for my EOT software (in my sig) to be officially released as a Dreamweaver extension! Cool, huh?

21:
    I'm glad you see my site as falling into the second category. When I look at some design sites, they are incredibly beautiful, but tough to navigate.

When I was putting the picture of the woman/operator into the header, it kept feeling like I was building a hosting site. It didn't feel like the right image to use for a design site. For a more appropriate image, do you suggest an actual picture of something, or some kind of abstract image that I render myself?

Vito

It looks good overall but here are some things in my opinion you could add/change.

1. Extend the white all the way to he bottom along with the left part (dont know the right word for it).

2. Change the ladies face to something relative, maybe abstract?

4. Just an idea, make the space to the right (when using a higher display res) white and also, make the blue lines for the header go the full length.

5. If you decide not to change the ladies face align it to the left, there is some blue to the left that just doesnt look right.

Good work overall.

Good points, CritticAge.
    I'm just experimenting right now in Fireworks building some "abstract" iimages. I'll post if/when I come up with something (tough to do, though, at 5AM ).
    [kickstarts brain] Ouch! [/kickstarts brain]

Thanks again. I will work on your points.

Vito

OK, I don't work much with rendering abstract images, so I'm not sure if what I've done is good or not.

www.dzyntech.com

The objects I created have no real relevance to the subject matter, so I'm not sure if they're appropriate. Then again, could that be why they're called "abstract" images?

Vito
    Last edited by vito; 07-07-2002 at 04:02 AM.

Nice design, but I don't like your set prices, for logo and design.

iamdave:
    Well, I haven't given too much thought to the prices yet, I just threw numbers in there for display purposes.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about them?

Vito

Me again. If you can do this, use the header from the third except use the grid like on the original.

CritticAge:

How's that?

Vito
    Last edited by vito; 07-07-2002 at 04:03 AM.

Yeah, that looks nice

Vito,
    your abstracts are pretty good......however, I like what you have done with the background in index.html....I would keep all that the same, but just swap the image.....

I personally would go for the use of some type of scenery or industrial imagery which you can modify into some type of abstract form............even something metaphorical("making the internet a beautiful thing") -> you could even combine something that people associate with beauty, and something related to the internet...eg: mountain or sunset scenery with something tech related........

but anyway, those green balls look pretty good
    --

Thanks, 21.

I've standardized the background for all pages, and I added a design element, but just for the home page. Hope it looks better...

www.dzyntech.com

Vito

BTW, is the domain name easy to understand, or is it too cryptic?

yeah its looking good.....
    just a couple of final small things:
    1) are you going to close of the rightside of the page, maybe with a border, or use the same as the left side, but flip it around.
    2) The "making the internet a beautiful place" could be made a little bolder/brighter so it stands out more.....
    3) the lines at the bottom that seperate the network and footer links would probably look better stretched right across the page, or even centred above the links...

Domain Name:
    I didnt have a problem with it being too cryptic.....hard to say though for the wider audience, I am sure there would be some that would not understand it........

Just out of interest, what is that image that you use in your logo?
    --

I'll work on the final points. Thanks.

Re the image used in the logo - well, 21, I have absolutely no clue what that thing is. When I made that I was up for about 32 hours straight. Who knows what inspired me at that moment as I was clicking away bleary-eyed and semi-conscious?

Vito

yea good job vito

New question for you.

I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to set up the portfolio page. Let's say I want to display 12 sites in the portfolio. I made screenshot images of the sites. They are 265 px wide by 199 px high. They're on average 20 KB each. So obviously, given the file size, I cannot put them all on one page...too big. So what's the best way to do it?

(a) I suppose I could make smaller thumbnails, 133*100. But I think that would still make for too big of a page.

(b) Break up into separate pages. Example, put 4 per page and have "next>>" at the bottom of the page

(c) Have just text listing of the sites (linking directly to the sites)

(d) Have just text listing of the sites (each linking to a popup window that displays a 400*300 screenshot of the site)

(e) I've seen where a popup window rotates through different screenshots by clicking a "next>>" or "<<previous" button. Not sure how to do that, though. Javascript, I think. If anyone knows the script for this I'd appreciate a copy of it.

Thanks again, folks. I always appreciate the help you provide.

Vito

I dont think that a page with 200KB is that much of an issue....it is impossible to always keep page sizes down.......

but anyway, if you want to do that, I would recommend going for the text option with a link or pop up.......I have never been a fan of the next/previous slide show things.......

but have a look at the way these guys have done their portfolio, it might help you out:
    www.edime.com.au

cheers
    --

Nice looking site at edime. They present their portfolio in frames, though. I don't want that. I guess I'll just have to weigh pros and cons of the different options and make a decision.

Vito

yeah, I didnt mean the frames though........just the way they use thumbs for each site.......
    --

I have made modifications and the site is now complete. I would appreciate any final comments.

www.dzyntech.com

Thanks.
    Vito

I think the gray you use is "dirty " try to make it more "clean".

Thanks for the comment, ArDavid, but I'm not sure which grey you're refering to. Could you be more specific?

Vito

I dont see anything wrong with any of the grey on your website
    I can't imagine any grey being dirty too because it's a neutral colour
    . . : : iSight Design : : . .
    http://www.iSightDesign.ca

love it!