View Poll Results: WHT forum avatars enabled?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Avatars would be great...

14 46.67%
  • No! It's unecessary...

14 46.67%
  • I don't care...

2 6.67%

What's the reason of not having avatars here at WHT?

Site loading time? Bandwidth?

Forum avatars and signatures are the unique, enjoyable elements of any forum.. Many of the other big forums on the net have avatars..

Please, your opinion expressed, appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    Forum avatars and signatures are the unique, enjoyable elements of any forum.
    You seemed to have survived at this particular one without an avatar How do you see avatars and signatures as enjoyable?

I prefer the clean look of the forum without avatars. I would also hate to see signatures with images like other forums have.

The way posts are presented on WHT make them easy to read without all the distractions you find on other forums.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    How do you see avatars and signatures as enjoyable?
    A person's avatar can tell you a lot about the person. I don't see any harm in enabling avatars (with restrictions of course).

However, I do agree that signature images have no place on a hosting forum.
    Big things coming soon

I agree with HostRefugee-Vince, no avatars... this site is one of the few that's focus is on content.

If you think about how much the ad space takes up on the site, aviators might make it more cluttered…
    Support-Shack.com
    Website Management

Quote Originally Posted by HostRefugee-Vince
    I prefer the clean look of the forum without avatars. I would also hate to see signatures with images like other forums have.
    I for one am completely against it as well... no avatars and no images in signatures. These two items, in my mind, equate to a childrens forum... WHT is a professional forum and needs to be kept that way.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

It would also blow up the postbit even more. So while I do enjoy a decent avatar, it's kind of pointless, and I'm also against it for WHT.
    In sigs? Oh, heck no. Nothing worse that that.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

We've had this discussion a few times. Although I don't like the idea of avatars on WHT, they could be implemented and still maintain the level we've come to expect on WebHostingTalk by having avatars switched off by default.

They would not be viewable by guests. Any member that wanted to view avatars would have to go to their profile and enable that option.

The only ones that could possibly be inconvenienced by turning on avatars here are the moderators that would have to view them to enforce any rules governing them. But, since they'd be off by default, I'm not sure how much they'd need to be regulated.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I definitely would not like to see images in sigs but really tiny avatars like say 30 X 30 pixels max would be nice and shouldn't cause any problems.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

I think avatars give a little bit of personality to posters, and in turn, contribute to a nominally greater sense of community among posters. I am for both the little avatars next to one's handle, and for allowing externally-stored .signature blocks.

I don't know, it just came across my mind all in a sudden.

I do agree that with this new vbulletin layout which has the poster info horizontal way is not kind to big avatars, but small ones could be just fine.

Yes, it definitely gives a bit of personality to posters - at least you staff/mods have a bright green/maroon font for your name, try to understand from a black font member's point of view as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HostRefugee-Vince

The way posts are presented on WHT make them easy to read without all the distractions you find on other forums.
    I agree 100%

Saves on loading time and leaves more space on the page for real content.

Quote Originally Posted by VT6
    I agree 100%

Saves on loading time and leaves more space on the page for real content.
    And that's the way it would be for everyone that didn't go into their profile and tick a box to be able to view avatars.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    And that's the way it would be for everyone that didn't go into their profile and tick a box to be able to view avatars.
    I'd love the ability to have an avatar.
    And for those who don't want it, don't enable it.

Seems like a fairly decent deal to me!

Quote Originally Posted by sirius
    I for one am completely against it as well... no avatars and no images in signatures. These two items, in my mind, equate to a childrens forum... WHT is a professional forum and needs to be kept that way.
    Avatars = a children's forum? I disagree. I've had an avatar (my photo) for many years now in my communities. It adds a level of personalism and another dynamic to an online community.

IMO the avatars should be enabled, by the user. If folks don't want to see them, they won't, and that's that. To avatar or not to avatar is up to the individual and not something that effects anyone who doesn't want to see them. It could add some much needed personality to WHT.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    The only ones that could possibly be inconvenienced by turning on avatars here are the moderators that would have to view them to enforce any rules governing them.

Lets Keep WHT Pro!

I once asked for a arcade and i am still embaressed about it

-Navid
    Giving up does not always means you are weak, it Simply means you are strong to let go!

Keep avatars off. Keeps site loading time down, prevents advertising, and takes stress off forum staff to moderate avatars.
    ❄️❄️❄️ HOSTBLIZZARD.COM --- 100% Canadian Hosting Provider ❄️❄️❄️
    • Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud Hosting • VPS Servers • Domain Names
    a division of Sheernox Technology Group

Quote Originally Posted by KarlN
    Keep avatars off. Keeps site loading time down . . .
    You would have to enable avatars if you wanted to see them.
    . . . prevents advertising, and takes stress off forum staff to moderate avatars.
    Mods are underworked now.

*ducks*

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Avatars = a children's forum? I disagree. I've had an avatar (my photo) for many years now in my communities.
    That reminds me Bob, can I disable avatars in your community. I really just want to disable yours, the rest of them are fine.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

lol Ed.

Ed