How do I check for bandwidth used?

Someone gave me free account, and owner's away, and I mean away really often.
    I just wanna check how much bandwidth I have used.. How? (On Telnet?)
    and any ways to find out MySQL DB address on telnet?
    Thx in advance

Hyderabad, India
    configure MRTG graphs...or any other third party tools like

bwmon - bwmon is a simple command line SNMP bandwidth monitoring tool, useful if you don't want to wait 5 minutes for MRTG to update.

iftop - iftop provides real-time bandwidth usage information on a specified interface, listed by host pairs.

DU Meter - DU Meter is a powerful and user-friendly tool that will enable you to use your Internet connection more efficiently. DU Meter lets you see how much of your full bandwidth potential is actually utilized at any given point in time, either by displaying a real-time graph, numerical display, or both. With all the concern about worms and viruses sending email unbeknownst to the user, DU Meter can help prevent this by automatically popping to display unauthorized outgoing data transfer. It works with Dial-Up, ISDN, Cable Modem, and Ethernet cards.

IP Bandwidth Watchdog - ipband is a pcap-based traffic monitor. It tallies per-subnet traffic and bandwidth usage and starts detailed logging if the specified threshold for a specific subnet is exceeded. This utility could be handy in a limited bandwidth WAN environment (frame relay, ISDN, etc.) to pinpoint offending traffic sources if certain links become saturated to the point where legitimate packets start getting dropped.

Bandmin - Bandmin is a tool that can monitor bandwidth usage of virtual interfaces on systems using ipfwadm, ipchains, ipf, or ipfw. It periodically checks interface counters, logs the results, and generates HTML output for viewing.