hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Game Servers : thinking about selling gaming servers...

Forum Jump

thinking about selling gaming servers...

Reply Post New Thread In Game Servers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 07:42 PM
WHT Addict

thinking about selling gaming servers...

hi,

I have a few ideas id like to pursue in selling gaming servers. I have a good knowledge of reselling web hosting space but I've only been on the client side of game servers. Can some of you who have knowledge of gaming servers throw me some information and things I could use to get a small business started? How many game servers could i have running on 1 machine? are there any specalized scripts that work with setting up game servers?

thanks for your time,
taylor

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Community Leader

Moved to Emerging Technologies and Markets.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Carpe Diem

Oh brother..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple solutions
hi,

I have a few ideas id like to pursue in selling gaming servers. I have a good knowledge of reselling web hosting space but I've only been on the client side of game servers. Can some of you who have knowledge of gaming servers throw me some information and things I could use to get a small business started? How many game servers could i have running on 1 machine? are there any specalized scripts that work with setting up game servers?

thanks for your time,
taylor
Well, if you wanted to get into gaming, I would recommend cPanel GS as the gaming control panel: http://www.cpanel.net/products/cPanelGS/index.htm

It's a free addon you can get with cPanel and since you might already be familiar with cPanel. It would only add to your experience.

You'll need to get your own server for gaming servers which can end up costing a pretty penny as you will need a more powerful server for the more games you would like to run. A good place to look for deals/quality in the same place is layeredtech.com

You can take a look at LT's gaming website, www.layeredx.com for ideas.

Another thing you would need to consider is administration. Server Administration can cost anywhere between say $25 a month to $500 a month depending on how many servers you need administered.. I would highly recommend http://admingeekz.com/

Now I'm not an expert in the gaming Industry so I would most definitely get some more advice and pop out that google homepage a little more too.

Whatever the outcome. Good luck to ya

Old 03-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Carpe Diem

To be honest if your wanting to start game hosting as a hobby I'd say sure why not but if your thinking of quiting your day job then don't bother.

Web hosting is much different then game hosting and the market is much more demanding. If you have a thing for working 12 hours per day and making $100 at the end of the month then have at it. If you think your going to get rich doing something you hardly know anything about then think again.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:43 AM
antitheistic atheist

Quote:
To be honest if your wanting to start game hosting as a hobby I'd say sure why not but if your thinking of quiting your day job then don't bother.
While it might sound harsh, listen to Rich - he knows what he's talking about here

It's really an awful niche to get into, especially at this point.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:18 PM
WHT Addict

I already have a day job and im looking for something i can start small and build it up.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Carpe Diem

Understood but game hosting is a whole different animal from what your used to. With webhosting you might have a handful of tickets per month but even with a few game server customers you might get several dozen daily which given the current market if you don't have an answer for them within a few minutes they will simply cancel and go somewhere else. Webhosting is a little more involved since it's more difficult to uproot your site and change providers every month so you don't get to much of that.

But either way I'm not trying to discourage you and I apologize if I come through as harsh, This is not my intention. If this is what you want to do I wish you luck. I merely point out some of the things you might not be taking into consideration.

Thanks for listening.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Im sorry but I totally agree with Rich.

Been doing it for nearly 3 years (only small compared to some) in game servers and sometimes its a real b*tch of a industry with the little kiddy customers coming and going at the drop of the hat but if you have a passion for games then its something youll enjoy.

Finally just to add I hope your day job doesnt have a computer with internet as youll find 95% of the time replying to tickets.. When we started out we did

Just my 2 cents.

-Chris

Old 03-05-2007, 04:14 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Rich is correct, being a GSP is not an easy task. It will require you to dedicate alot of time and a good amount of money. The first month you are almost gurenteed not to break even, most likley the first 3 months. You will need an exceptional website on top of your highly knowlagable technical staff who knows gameserver setup procedures. And choosing the right dc or ds seller is crucial. If you go with some dropout ds seller like calpop ect.. you'll die quicker then a fly in a pond full of a frogs.

Take Rich'es advice, don't bother unless your sure.
If you find you would still like to start on this journey, you can count me in to help out if needed. I ran a gsp for 5 years.

Colocation | Dedicated | VPS | Shared | Broadband

Old 03-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Out there beyond the Wall.

I have been running a GSP close to 5 years and Rich is correct. Work hard and MAYBE get paid.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Junior Guru

Game servers don't make money, don't bother. The time you dedicated and the return that you get will never compare to even working at Mcdonalds.

If I was smart, I would've moved out of game servers and did only ventrilo hosting a while back. Now both are occupied and there are too many out there to be worth hosting.

If you wish to continue to try then all I can do is wish you "good luck"

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Dedicated Gaming Listing 2014-04-16 06:31:43
RapidSwitch Helps Customer Host ‘Gaming For Good’ Charity Website Web Hosting News 2013-11-04 15:10:21
Switch SUPERNAP Named Official Online Gaming Hosting Center Web Hosting News 2013-05-31 10:46:52
A Look at Australian Minecraft Web Host Wombat Servers Web Hosting News 2013-07-09 09:38:51
Most Online Gamers Experience Unplanned Server Outages During Play: LeaseWeb Study Web Hosting News 2013-05-01 15:16:03