Thread: rackvillage

rackvillage

Anyone try these people?

They say they bought out K-I-K-K-O and their service is nothing like what kikko was before..

well, in their words "dramatically better"

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=rackvillage

That thread alone makes me not want to do business with them.

RackVillage

I decided to go with RackVillage because of the great offers they had for dedicated servers.

But I am going to stay with them because of the great service.

I have to tell you, Iíve been with several different providers
    From brand names like UUNET Exodus and interland to less known ones and I have never experienced such a level of professionalism
    and good will as I get from the guys at RackVillage.

Thumbs up for RackVillage.

I warmly recommend them to anyone interested in whole new level
    of web hosting service and support.

Oren

Why does the last post sound like a scripted commercial?

Yeah and comming from a guy with 1 post
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

ya, looks suspicious. i can't take any risks. =P

/me scratches one off his list

I dunno...if you're gonna cross a company off the list you should probably have a better reason than that, no? Do a search here on WHT, you may well find find other, even better, reasons to cross them off.

Maybe he can provide the domain/site/ip he has hosted with rackvillage?

Re: RackVillage

Originally posted by Oren
    I decided to go with RackVillage because of the great offers they had for dedicated servers.

But I am going to stay with them because of the great service.

I have to tell you, Iíve been with several different providers
    From brand names like UUNET Exodus and interland to less known ones and I have never experienced such a level of professionalism
    and good will as I get from the guys at RackVillage.

Thumbs up for RackVillage.

I warmly recommend them to anyone interested in whole new level
    of web hosting service and support.

Oren

and only one post....

yeah right
    sorry i dont buy it

with all the things some of us have seen about k-i-k-k-o, i dont buy it.

Originally posted by Drewcifer
    I dunno...if you're gonna cross a company off the list you should probably have a better reason than that, no? Do a search here on WHT, you may well find find other, even better, reasons to cross them off.

then do a search on k-i-k-k-o

without the dashes in the letters

A question... Everyone keeps typing "k-i-k-k-o" with the dashes, apparently it's 'censored' if you take the dashes out.

I've asked this in a forum before, but only in passing. As a newbie here, I really can't bring myself to understand WHY it's censored. I may be missing something, but isn't this just creating headaches for people, and making it so that people in the future who search for "k-i-k-k-o" without the dashes won't find anything?

Personally, if I ran some sort of scamming web hosting company, I'd *love* having my name censored, so that potential customers wouldn't see anything. It seems to me (but, again, I'm new here -- I could very well be missing something) that the whole 'censoring' thing is really just shooting ourselves in the foot -- in an attempt to make it clear that a company is running a scam or whatnot, we're actually preventing people from finding this in the future.

Again, I'm a newbie here; can people either agree with me, or explain where I'm wrong? (The latter being an entirely plausible solution.)

Good point fog. I don't know the story either and I'd like to hear it, while eating my soup.

So go ahead grandpa, tell us a story from the old days of the web

Originally posted by fog
    A question... Everyone keeps typing "k-i-k-k-o" with the dashes, apparently it's 'censored' if you take the dashes out.

I've asked this in a forum before, but only in passing. As a newbie here, I really can't bring myself to understand WHY it's censored. I may be missing something, but isn't this just creating headaches for people, and making it so that people in the future who search for "k-i-k-k-o" without the dashes won't find anything?

Personally, if I ran some sort of scamming web hosting company, I'd *love* having my name censored, so that potential customers wouldn't see anything. It seems to me (but, again, I'm new here -- I could very well be missing something) that the whole 'censoring' thing is really just shooting ourselves in the foot -- in an attempt to make it clear that a company is running a scam or whatnot, we're actually preventing people from finding this in the future.

Again, I'm a newbie here; can people either agree with me, or explain where I'm wrong? (The latter being an entirely plausible solution.)
    You may be a newbie here, but you do have a valid point. Personally, I think something like:

Banned Company Name [Beware! reason for being banned]

would do a lot more good than:

For example, if there was a company called WebHost who was banned for stealing $500 from our very own mod Chicken, the name should come up as "WebHost [Beware! stole $500 from Chicken!]" whenever it appears, instead of showing up as "*******"

I dunno, just a thought
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

timechange -- thanks for the input. (I could go for some soup too... *grin*)

FDrive, I like your idea a lot. I'm a bit worried that I suddenly sign up, and am immediately questioning the way people do things, but the fact that others agree is reassuring. I think posting a "comment" next to 'banned' names, as opposed to banning them, would be a really good idea. I hadn't given any thought to this idea, although I do sort of like it. Although, the mere act of 'unbanning' names might suffice -- rather than seeing "stole $500 from Chicken!" next to every post, I might just want to search for "WebHost," and I'd then see a forum entitled "Beware! WebHost stole $500 from me!" posted by Chicken, or something to that effect.

I'm willing to bet that the censorship concept has evolved from however it originally started, which was probably something like our hypothetically user, WebHost, posting constant ads about how great WebHost, Inc. was, which caused the admins to ban the word "WebHost". (Again, this was just a stab in the dark, trying to "guess" how the concept came about.) However, the way it's used now, I think it's really *helping* the companies that we 'censor'.

Again, I'm new here, and I could easily be misunderstanding things, but, if I'm not, could I request that the admins at least consider removing the name censorship idea? (By the way, I'd *love* some more feedback, particularly if someone could explain how the censorship concept came about.)

Thanks a bunch!

Well practically, the software looks up a list of banned words and substitutes it with *****. I know that phpBB can actually substitute a banned word with a specified string, different in each case. Not sure if that's available in vBulletin that's used here.

Originally posted by fog
    kikko
    kikko

Hmmm

KIKKO!!!

...doesn't appear to be

It used to be, so I suppose that's why people keep typing it that way, however it hasn't been censored for a long time now.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

ē Chicken

Doesn't mean it shouldn't still be censored, the stealing bastards

Hehe, okay, so kikko in particular might not be censored... But if you stop to consider the side-effect -- even after the ban is lifted, people resort to "censoring" the name, and the provide instructions on how to 'decode' it. The whole ordeal strikes me as a little strange.

Tazzman, if you think about it... By censoring "kikko", it means that people in the future will search for "kikko" and find nothing -- and go ahead and place an order.

Again, I don't want to come across as some lunatic guy who joins and immediately starts criticizing the way things are done; I just wanted to offer some input on this.

example of being f'd by rackvillage

My first post here, but I have proof of what I am saying......

Rackvillage posted a dedicated server at ebay about a month ago. They put up a terrible ad, so nobody really bid on it, but that is their fault for doing it. I won the auction for a dedicated PII with 400 in data transfer for $26.01. Over the next few weeks of sending dan at rackvillage about 20 emails, I finally gave up. He sent me a few emails......it will be done by friday.......really busy here.......it will be done by tomorrow........AND NOTHING. I finally gave up and got a server at serverbeach.com and I have been really happy so far. I would like some more ip addresses for free, but that is a different issue ;-) I will probably test out rackshack as well before I settle somewhere.

Thanks for the great message board guys/gals.

FYI - here is the auction in case anyone doubts what I am saying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2030299038

-----
    http://www.logostand.com

You should complain to Ebay customer service for non-delivery, that will get them banned from Ebay

lol the fact that they are advertising such a low spec server amuses me..

kikko, or rackvillage, or whatever they are, seem like they will do anything to get your business

just looking at this "Dan" individual, who works at rackvillage, makes me not want to do business with rackvillage.

Isaac is even worse. When I was at kikko he blatantly admitted they totally screwed up (My account was down for a week and when I got new info everything was gone and they had moved me from the CPanel account I had gotten when I signed up to a Cobalt RAQ). You think I could get a refund or even credit to my hosting account (not that I would have stayed)? Nope, all I got was a load of 'sorry', but nothing in return for their mistakes.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!