Price for 500 hosted domains?

How much would you charge for a person who wanted to host 500 domain names on your server? Would it be like "100/mo + $1/every domain/mo."?
    Orlando Magic--> 05-06 CHAMPS

There are many companues who would do that for a monthly fee of $30 like mchost.com

$1 per domain ... he could have 5 dedicated boxes from RS
    dot5hosting.com
    [email protected]
    "We look after our customers, or someone else will"

Depends on the nature of the domains

The question is too broad for one to answer as you have stated it.

We would, and most decent hosts would, charge the amount of the monthly package only. No additional fees for the other domains unless we had to maintain them (e.g. track and notify you when they were going to expire).

Then we would probably charge .50/1.00 per domain, depending on the amount of domains.
    Joel Strellner

Yes, We are to provide their clients with 24/7 tech support. (additional services)

Thanks guys for the input! I will keep that in mind

All of you are right, I was just wondoring how much the other co.'s are charging for a "BIG" reseller. And I will have to see what exactly the reseller wants and in terms of diskspace/bandwidth. I guess I can simply charge a monthly fee and limit diskspace/bandwidth according to their needs. Charge extra for exceeding... I am not sure because I mean I have to hire 24/7 tech support for 800 clients extra to the number I currently have. That was why I was considering the $1/mo. each domain name that needs support to pay for tech support team.

Thanks again.

First of all, I would ask, why does he/she have 500 domains to host? That seems a bit odd. At the going rate of $8 per domain per year, that would be $4000. I don't know too many people who spend $4000 a year on domains.

Talking

Yes, I was thinking that as well.

Nice signiture

What'ssp odd about it? This is a guy who has, at some host, built a client base of 500 domains and needs a host. Granted, he should have his own dedicated server by now, but perhaps he is slow...????

who knows,but i would personally be happy if i had 500 new domains to host, long as i got the fair amount of $$ to host those bitches.

-what do the rest of you think?

-m

lol

have fun setting up 500 domains manually.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Heh, I was just thinking what I pain it would be to set up 500 domains by hand in the cpanel.

Who said I was setting them up=)

The client(reseller) adds the domain through Plesk CP, and E-mail me a list of all of the domain names added so I can update dns records for them..
    Also, he wants to know of a good domain registar reselling company so he can start selling domain names. Any suggestions? I will also be looking through previous posts.

I would charge as much as I could get away with, and you know your customer best. The difernces between servers and is too big to decide with the info you provided. I would chose one that gives my the minimum ammount of hastle - 500 sites - not a small project here, so look well.

To register 500 domain, buy in bulk - less than $8 that way. I use StarGateinc.com and BulkRegister.com - but you never know what is out there. GoDaddy. com and Directi.com seem to be favored here, so I might try them soon to

_Assuming_ each domain had its own web site and required the same resources as every other account you host then I doubt $1 a month per domain would be wise unless you normally charge only $1 or $2 a month per account... We offer up to a 50% off discount for resellers. We currently service a reseller that hosts in excess of 1,000 accounts with us. Some of his accounts use a _LOT_ or resources, while others do not.

I have no idea what kind of accounts you are talking about, but my advise would be to see what they require and compare those requirements to what your normal offers are. Then consider a percentage discount from there rather than a wide open "$1 per account" since each account may have different needs...

It's important to be careful with "blanket offers'. If even one of those accounts is "YAHOO!" you could get hurt....
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Originally posted by Magnet Eye
    What'ssp odd about it? This is a guy who has, at some host, built a client base of 500 domains and needs a host. Granted, he should have his own dedicated server by now, but perhaps he is slow...????

who knows,but i would personally be happy if i had 500 new domains to host, long as i got the fair amount of $$ to host those bitches.

-what do the rest of you think?

-m
    I didn't read the whole thread before I posted, I failed to see that it was a "host" that wanted to host his "clients." I assumed it would be a guy with 500 domains to park, a host that has 500 domains is probably making $3500+ a month, I would think that they either would colocate or have a dedicated server.

Just give your client a reseller account and let 'em go from there.

I take it that you're carving up your own boxes here??

It isn't too uncommon for a small ISP to outsource their web hosting to a web hosting company, but I'd say $1 per domain may be a bit low. Obviously this depends on what is allocated to each domain, but if this is really an outsourcing gig as such then $500/month to manage 500 domains and 500 users just isn't enough.
    <!-- boo! -->

I would not recommend charging per domain. You will lose customers. That's probably the biggest reason why I have stayed away from OLM.net because of their $3 charge per domain. There are too many good hosts that don't charge for domains, so why would people go with one that does?

I need to calculate a monthly fee to maintain an income, so I do not end up losing money off of this. I'll see what happens. Already have a few people "eagerly volunteering" to take this over. Thats just something that will happen if he asks for something I cannot provide. Otherwise I should be taking this deal all the way... Also, does anyone know if nocster.com has become any better? I read previous threads but were unsure. I want opinions from people who are current server owners or PREVIOUS. Thanks

Originally posted by sHosts
    I need to calculate a monthly fee to maintain an income, so I do not end up losing money off of this. I'll see what happens. Already have a few people "eagerly volunteering" to take this over. Thats just something that will happen if he asks for something I cannot provide. Otherwise I should be taking this deal all the way... Also, does anyone know if nocster.com has become any better? I read previous threads but were unsure. I want opinions from people who are current server owners or PREVIOUS. Thanks
    Crikey, are you still dragging this thread out?? Just carve 'em up a reseller account on your server and just let them setup their own domains etc. Simple.

Originally posted by chrisb
    I would not recommend charging per domain. You will lose customers. That's probably the biggest reason why I have stayed away from OLM.net because of their $3 charge per domain. There are too many good hosts that don't charge for domains, so why would people go with one that does?
    Yes. Charging per domain is a step back into the past. If you have your own servers, just let the client access a reseller type account. Or if you don't have your own servers, resell a reseller account to them from someone like mchost, splashhost, voxtreme etc. Easy...

Yes, I have my own servers. But 500 domains is a first for me (All at one time). I don't think the server will be able to handle it so I need more money to buy a second and third ..

If you host 500 domains, why don't you have enough hosting income to purchase more servers?

If you host 500 domains, why don't you have enough hosting income to purchase more servers?
    Yeah, just put them all on a server from nocster or something. How much disk space and data transfer will these 500 sites be using??

Thats what I was planning to do but people say nocster is bad.. And I know everyone has their own opinions. Whats this about COGENT being horrible? And yes, I will have money to buy extra servers if this deal goes through. Also AussieBob, can you PM me your AIM/ICQ so I can talk with you please. You sound like you have alot of good advice to give=)

I just want to ask the following:

are these real web hosting accounts or just a big domain name reseller that wants to have a simple web site (this domain is for sale for 50$, please contact [email protected]).

In this case you just need one dedicated IP, point all domain DNS records to that IP and create a php script (with Mysql backend that has all the info.. domain name, price etc).. then you just use HTTP REFERER field to extract the domain name web visitor suggests and generate html

hope this helps and I see your point. I don't think a host with 500 client will want to outsource it's client, when they can make more money by having a dedicated server(s) themselves.

My question, are these domains all separate sites or are they all pointing to the same site? That would change things a bit.
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

No, they are not pointing to one site. I am yet awaiting an E-mail from him. Usually he would send out an E-mail every hour or two... And I do plan on hosting him on nocster servers. Oh yes, H e is also asking for a 3 month trial (I do not think this trial is going to be paid for, which sounds kind of fishy to me.) I was thinking about charging him a security fee. Any comments?

Can you say scam. Let me shed some negative light on this. Sorry to be blunt. Someone hosting 500 domains has been around long enough to know the business. They know where they can host. 500 domains just didn't pop up over night. This guy is scamming you one way or another. What better way then find some newer host with not a lot of accounts (Yes, he knows you are new - 5 months in business is new, and a few hundred accounts is small) and try to take advantage of them. This guy could be doing numerous things, including bouncing gateways, spamming, just screwing with you, etc...

My advice:

1) Buy a cheap server and have him do all the work. Do not manually add these, including into DNS.
    2) Call him to validate the order.
    3) Have him send over a faxed copy of a credit card authorization form - including a copy of the credit card. Someone not going to commit fraud would be more then willing to do this.

Just be on the look out. None of this seems right to me.

Well that is what I was guessing to but you can never be too sure. He claims that he wants to "outsource" his company's hosting services. Also, the trial will not be for the 500 domain names. I have asked him for a security fee so he did not reply back yet. I will make sure to get all the information possible from him before this trial. Again I thank you all for the advice.

Oh yes, He is also asking for a 3 month trial (I do not think this trial is going to be paid for, which sounds kind of fishy to me.) I was thinking about charging him a security fee. Any comments?
    Lose the client ASAP. Point him to the WHT ad_forums and see if he can find a sucker willing to do a 90 day free trial for 500 domains.

He isnt doing a 500 domain trial..more like 7 domains..

He isnt doing a 500 domain trial..more like 7 domains..
    Yeah but Umbillycord is right -
    Just be on the look out. None of this seems right to me.
    Lose the client, IMO. You don't seem setup enough to handle this situation.

No, they are not pointing to one site. I am yet awaiting an E-mail from him. Usually he would send out an E-mail every hour or two... And I do plan on hosting him on nocster servers. Oh yes, H e is also asking for a 3 month trial (I do not think this trial is going to be paid for, which sounds kind of fishy to me.) I was thinking about charging him a security fee. Any comments?
    Yes. You could always send him to http://www.httpme.com

I will see. Thanks all for advice. I will not post about this unless some has something else to say.

I appretiate everyone's help..

Yes. You could always send him to http://www.httpme.com
    Nooooooooooooo.

hahaha. I quit on this client anyways. Ever since I asked for his identity (Drivers Liscence, etc.)...he never E-mailed back. Guess he was a spam host. The ones who get free trials and make it sound like a big deal, start reselling and making money, all of a sudden disapear leaving their clients w/o a host. Either that, or he might have been using mail server to send out spam mail. I guess I will never know what happened to him, but this all sounded too good to be true (The fact that he had 500 domains+ needing a host, when he could just buy a managed dedicated server for a lot less than the amount I was going to charge him) I can not accuse any one of anything, but these are all just asumptions. Well, MOD/ADMIN can delete this thread. Thanks everyone for help/support.