Thread: Where to Start

Question Where to Start

I am a young guy that has picked up alot on web hosting in the last few months, thanks a lot to wht boards, but I am not to a point where I think I could run my own company. Only problem is start up money for ISP for at lest a t-1 line, I just dont have the start up money, anyone have any ideas???? any help would be great. thanks

Clint

You could start saving/get a loan/ask family/get an investor.

But, if you aren't ready for a company, you trying to get money would be pointless.

However, you can pick up a t1 for 300-700/mo; while your setting up you wouldn't need that; you could set up using a cable modem for alot cheaper.
    Joel Strellner

You probably want to start off with a small reseller account, then once you have say 50-100 clients move on to a dedicated server. then at some point if you feel it's time, you can get your own T-1 or other connection if you want.

You will find a lot of threads on this subject.

Working your way up is the best plan, especially on a budget.

Good Luck!

-Matt

I agree with you, I feel that you can host web sites off of dsl or cable until you have made enough money to rent a building and get a nice connection.

but there is nothing better than running the web servers your self and the works. . .

Running a web hosting company from a cable modem, or even your own T1 really isn't a viable option. I suggest you start out with a reseller account, and then move to a dedicated or colocated server in a fully staffed datacenter once you have enough money to pay for the dedicated or colocated server.
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

If you are using cable modem/dsl you should think about uptime reliability.
    Orlando Magic--> 05-06 CHAMPS

i feel ur pain about a web hosting biz i also wanna do it so much .

Cable/DSL wouldn't be reliable for a webhost and also would be slow and T1 is the same speed of a medium cable/dsl connection.
    If you want to start a webhost getting a co-located/dedicated server would be best.
    This forum officially ****ing sucks