Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Namecheap - Enom

I registered my domain through Namecheap. As they are Enom resellers, is it possible for me to enter through http://access.enom.com ? I tried but password was not accepted. If I registered through Powerpipe.com, would this have been possible ?

You should be able to access your domain via that link, but I'm not exactly sure how namecheap sets them up. Did you just try going to www.enom.com and accessing it? You could also try it from my site (www.domainmaze.com) as we are eNom resellers also.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

As far as I understand it, just because a registrar is an enom reseller doesn't mean that access.enom.com is usable. I use Namecheap and am unable to use this method of updating. I think that this is an "option" that can be enabled/disabled by the reseller.

Originally posted by Abu Mami
    As far as I understand it, just because a registrar is an enom reseller doesn't mean that access.enom.com is usable. I use Namecheap and am unable to use this method of updating. I think that this is an "option" that can be enabled/disabled by the reseller.
    I am almost positive I'm correct about the following:

Any domain name in the eNom system is accessible via http://access.enom.com (often referred to as eNom's generic, tan interface).

Any domain name in the eNom system may be logged-in to via any Registry Rocket interface -- even that of an eNom reseller where one did not originally register one's domain. I believe same is also true for the new PDQ interface.

If it does not work, it is almost certainly a password problem.

There is no place in the eNom reseller interface on the eNom web site where one may specify whether or not a given re-sold domain can be accessed using the generic, tan interface, or the Registry Rocket interface, or the PDQ interface.

There is one possibility, however, which I have not yet tested so it might or might not be the case: It is possible that a domain registered through the eNom downloaded API and then modified by the reseller might not be accessible via one of the alternate interfaces. But, again, I haven't tested that one.

It's late as I'm writing this but in the morning I'll look into this and get an answer because now I'm curious myself.
    Gregg L. DesElms

Originally posted by DesElms

I am almost positive I'm correct about the following:

Any domain name in the eNom system is accessible via http://access.enom.com (often referred to as eNom's generic, tan interface).
    Unfortunately, this is untrue. I contacted Elevated Hosting (Enom Resellers) to see if I could manage my domain ats http://access.enom.com and they stated that they have a proprietary control panel instead.

I wish they could all be managed through Enom...

Tried all of mine registered through NameCheap and got the same result - couldn't login in through access.enom.com .
    Peachtree WebWorks, LLC
    http://www.peachtreewebworks.com

Whether or not you can access the name via access.enom.com depends on whether a password has been issued *for the domain*. Basically there are three ways that a domain can be registered and controlled through eNom:

1) The registering company registers the name in their own eNom account and issues a domain control password to the customer. If done this way, access.enom.com can be used. This is how RegistryRocket works.

2) The registering company sets you up with an account on *their* servers, registers the name in their own account, then when you log in to your account with them you get control of all the names you've registered through them (probably via the API that eNom makes available). I think this is what NameCheap does. In this case a domain control password will almost certainly NOT be issued, and therefore access.enom.com will be unavailable.

3) The registering company sets you up with an eNom retail account, registers the names in *your* eNom account, and you can control them by logging in to your retail account either at the registering site or at the standard www.eNom.com If this is the case, you should be able to issue a domain password yourself if you need to grant access via access.enom.com (log in to your account at eNom.com, go to "domain names", click on the domain you're interested in, then choose the "Domain Access Password" option). This is how PDQ sites work.

I think this system was set up by eNom so that people (e.g. webhosts) could register domains in their own account and then give out a domain control password to their customers, whereas fully-fledged registration businesses had a choice of methods to give direct account control.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    http://www.AQHost.com
    Fast, reliable dual Intel Xeon servers
    Excellent uptime record
    Efficient and friendly support

gadget,

Just for "grins" try to log into my site (www.domainmaze.com) and see if you can access your account.

As far as I know there are two ways that accounts can be setup with eNom. With the first method, they actually setup setup a retail account for you (i.e. you get an account name/password) and you can manage all your domains from this account.

With the second method you don't have your own retail account but there is a password associated with the domain. In this case, the access.enom.com is used to manage the account.

This is just based on observation and I don't have any facts to back it up. I have a contact and eNom and I'll try to get more details.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    UmbraHosting.com

access.enom.com dun work with registerfly also
    This forum officially ****ing sucks

I represent NameCheap.com and I just wanted to clear things up for you. Most of our website including our database and control panel is custom built, therefore access via access.enom.com is not possible. I think you will find the control panel we provide for you as good or better than the one provided by enom. If you have any other questions do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks for clearing the doubt for us

access.enom.com

Okay, I am yet another enom reseller.

The bottom line is this - when a reseller registers a domain name through the API, or whatever registration method is used, the reseller has the option of setting a domain password or not. This can be implemented any number of ways - the reseller could prompt the user for it, or the reseller could simply utilize the customer's reseller account password (as we'll be doing) or the reseller can simply ignore that feature and not set any password at all.

So, it seems that NameCheap probably doesn't set a password for your domain. It is a very simple matter to set one and I'm not sure why they don't do it. To me, it is an important failsafe - if my site should ever go down, every customer is assured that they can have full access to their domain. They probably do not want to involve enom in any way shape or form, despite the fact that the access.enom.com panel is not branded and can be used in a manner that has enom transparent.

In any event, if it is very important to you to have that access, you can shift your name easily to any other registrar or reseller you choose. Of course I'd recommend me, but that would be biased, and is not the intent of this e-mail

As for a great hosting company - depending upon your needs, I'd highly recommend www.hostit365.com. I'm not sure whether or not affiliate links are taboo here or not, so I'm not going to put mine up. Besides, this is an unbiased recommendation. I've used quite a lot of hosts and these guys are really great in all areas.

If you want any more info on any of this, please let me know. Feel free to e-mail me privately as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike

OK, it seems that PowerPipe.com does give direct access to access.enom.com to manage the domain accounts. Namecheap should have done the same too

Well...we're in competition with Namecheap, but I have to say that their interface is pretty nice and I'm not entirely sure why you'd want the ability to use access.enom.com as well? Unless you're worried about them going under of course. In that case you might do well to look for someone who creates a full eNom retail account for you when you order from them rather than just issuing you with an access.enom.com password. That way you can be sure that the domain is in your account and not theirs, and even if they do go belly-up you'll still be able to log in and fully control your domains from the main eNom.com site (this is how we do it).

I wouldn't be too worried about Namecheap though, they've been around a while and have a good reputation.

Simon.
    Excellent uptime record

As I had previously stated, it is prudent to offer, since it allows redundancy - in the event that the reseller's site were down, etc. Or, if perhaps enom was to add features and the reseller did not keep up, etc. I think it's a good measure of security, since no end user can really determine much about the reseller they are doing business with.

Anyhow, we create subaccounts for all of our customers.

Mike

Yes, the sub-account option offers the best of all worlds. Access via the reseller's site, access via eNom.com, and the ability for the customer to create an access.enom.com password too if they so choose. Total redundancy as you say. I guess my point was that given Namecheap's excellent reputation I wouldn't let the lack of an access.enom.com password deter me from using them.

Mike: Did you use PDQ, or did you manage to code for the API in such a way as to automatically create sub-accounts, or do you create the sub-accounts manually? Just being nosey, we use PDQ and have found it to be superb so far.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    Excellent uptime record

Quite honestly we really have not had many, if any, requests to give access to our customers via access.enom.com. That being said we are definitely not set in our ways and are always looking to improve. Seeing that there is a demand for this, I will speak to one of my developers about implementing this option. Very interesting board here, I was reffered here by one of our customers. BTW Simon thanks for the kind words

Richard

Originally posted by AQHost
    Mike: Did you use PDQ, or did you manage to code for the API in such a way as to automatically create sub-accounts, or do you create the sub-accounts manually
    Simon,

You can setup the retail sub-accounts via the API. That's what I was working on before PDQ came out. It's a tad tedious and not that well documented, but it can be done.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    UmbraHosting.com

Originally posted by ffeingol

Simon,

You can setup the retail sub-accounts via the API. That's what I was working on before PDQ came out. It's a tad tedious and not that well documented, but it can be done.

Frank
    Yup, I got that far with my own implementation of the API (in PHP). I could create sub-accounts, put domains in the shopping cart, etc - the downfall was that I couldn't actually set the retail pricing in the new sub-account. There's an undocumented API function PE_SETPRICING which is supposed to allow you to do this, but I never got a completely coherent model for the function from eNom's developers. The function involved passing the party ID after the account had been created, and then setting the pricing for each TLD, but it kept returning errors.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    Excellent uptime record

Originally posted by brn2h8
    Unfortunately, this is untrue. I contacted Elevated Hosting (Enom Resellers) to see if I could manage my domain ats http://access.enom.com and they stated that they have a proprietary control panel instead.
    So all that means is that my suspicion, as stated earlier, that names registered through the API may not necessarily be accessible via the generic tan interface, the Registry Rocket interface, or the new PDQ interface, was correct. And, clearly, other postings herein subsequent to my original one seem to bear that out.

Also, my earlier statement that any domain in the eNom system is accessible via the generic tan interface or the Registry Rocket interface; and that if it is not then it has to be a password issue, is also correct. Not creating a password for the domain is, categorically, "a password issue." When I wrote what I wrote earlier, I guess I didn't stop to consider that not creating a password at all might not be considered by those posting herein to be "a password issue." I guess I should have been more specific. Even one's domain created using NameCheap's custom interface can be accessed via the tan generic interface (access.enom.com), or the Registry Rocket interface if NameCheap simply goes into its reseller account on the eNom web site and issues one's domain a password.

Finally, my statement that there is no place in the eNom interface where one can specify whether or not a given re-sold domain can be accessed using the generic tan interface or the Registry Rocket interface was also correct. What I meant and that was clear was that there is no place in the interface where one checks a box or answers a 'yes' or 'no' question or anything like that. I suppose one could argue that not assigning the domain a password, or assigning one, is the same as indicating whether said domain may or may not be accessed via the generic tan interface and/or the Registry Rocket Interface. In that sense, assigning or not assigning a password is "indicating" whether or not the password may be accessed via http://access.enom.com or the Registry Rocket interface.

So, brn2h8, what I wrote earlier was not untrue after all.

Just wanted to set that record straight.

And I'll up the ante a bit and offer those posting here yet another related aspect of this matter to chew on and, if you see it as I do, to be irritated about...

Once a password is assigned to a domain name so that it can be accessed via http://access.enom.com, it can thereafter also be accessed via any reseller's Registry Rocket interface.

That has always bugged me. I've always felt that if a person registered his domain through my Registry Rocket interface, he should not be able to go over to the Registry Rocket interface of my competitor who is an eNom reseller and be able login to modify it. But the way the eNom system is set up, he can. And this begs the question -- a question which I have not tried to answer through testing but which I probably should -- if one registers a domain through my Registry Rocket interface, thereby placing it into my eNom reseller account, can one then go to the Registry Rocket interface of my competitor who is also an eNom reseller and renew the name? And, if so, does it then move over to his eNom reseller account? Personally, I suspect the answer to both those questions is "no," but, again, I haven't tested it.

But if you think that's irritating, you ain't seen nothin' yet...

Did you know that any account that can be logged-in to directly on the eNom web site can also be logged-in to on any eNom reseller's PDQ site? Don't believe me? Any one reading this who has a direct retail or reseller account with eNom... just go to any PDQ interface that you happen to know of that is not your own and try logging-in using the same login ID and password that you use on the eNom web site. If you don't happen to know of a PDQ interface that isn't your own (and if you're not Lee Hodgson), try Domain Guru's PDQ interface just for testing purposes.

But the behavior is not limited to direct eNom retail and reseller accounts. Any retail or reseller account Log-in ID and password originally intended for use directly only on the eNom web site but created by a reseller, beneath said reseller's eNom account, may also be logged-in to on any other eNom reseller's PDQ account!

Of course this begs the same sort of hypothetical question I raised earlier in this posting regarding the Registry Rocket interface, to wit: If I have a retail customer who signs-up and registers domains using my PDQ interface (thereby becoming a retail sub-account beneath my eNom reseller account), and he then goes over to Domain Guru's PDQ interface (or any other eNom reseller's PDQ interface) and logs-in and purchases additional domain names and/or renews existing ones, which eNom reseller account gets a piece of that action... mine, Hodgson's, or both?

The answer, I believe, is that even when my customer who originally created his account using my PDQ interface logs-in to Hodgson's PDQ interface, he is still considered by the eNom system to be my customer. This is evidenced by the fact that when he does try to purchase an additional domain name and it gets into his shopping cart, he sees there my pricing that I set for him, and not Hodgson's pricing as shown in the "pricing" section of his PDQ interface (into which my client is, to my chagrin, logged).

Is it just me, or does anyone else around here find this cross-logging-in capability across all Registry Rocket and PDQ interfaces to be particularly irritating?
    Last edited by DesElms; 07-02-2002 at 05:32 PM.
    Gregg L. DesElms

Simon -

We have coded everything to interface with the API and have built a custom site, rather than using any of the canned stuff. You can take a look at the development site at www.smoothregister.com. It is not live yet, and not complete.

We've got it so that the API interface will setup a retail subaccount for each new customer automatically through the API. Of course I've also got the option of setting up manual subaccounts, but will not have the need and that would cause complexities in syncronizing the two, since we are storing some customer history and details locally as well as in eNom's databases.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what price level you've prepaid for, but I am at the lowest, so if you'd like to work something out, get in touch with me directly and I might be able to get you better pricing or maybe we can work something else out that is mutually beneficial.

Also, I've managed to get eNom to make improving their documentation a priority. Apparently they've now got a technical writer or intern working on this as a major project. That should simplificy a lot of things. The API is more powerful than their documentation enables you to properly implement it.

Mike
    mike@centralstation.com
    Last edited by lbeachmike; 07-02-2002 at 06:02 PM.

Mike,

Nice work so far, I like it. I'm guessing the availability lookup is one of the incomplete parts as it shows domains as registered when they're not? One of the frustrations I had when coding for the API was that eNom changed from having the results of an availability check in a particular order to returning them in a random order. Without telling anyone

One question though - once you've got the retail sub-account set up (which I can happily code for) have you managed to set the pricing levels in their account using PE_SETPRICING? Or did you find another function that does the same thing?

Thanks for the offer on pricing btw, but I'm all set.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    Excellent uptime record

DesElms,

First great posts. Takes a while to read (and re-read) but great posts.

From a customer point-of-view, I really like the fact that my customers can go to any eNom reseller (or even eNom) and manage their account. It gives them a nice warm fuzzy. They want to know that if we get run over by a beer truck, they can still manage their domains.

Customers can "push" their eNom account from one reseller to another. The need to know the username of the reseller that they wish to "push" to. In the PDQ interfaces, it's under Domain Names/push.

Finally, I did some testing (and things worked as I expected them to). I have a dummy account setup. When I went to register.domainguru.com and logged it, it looks like their site. But when I check the pricing, I got the pricing that I set for the dummy account.

So eventhough you can log in from anywhere, you are still the customer of the reseller that you signed up under and you get their pricing etc.

I may be totally wet on this, but that's what I could see from my testing.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    UmbraHosting.com

Originally posted by ffeingol
    Customers can "push" their eNom account from one reseller to another. The need to know the username of the reseller that they wish to "push" to. In the PDQ interfaces, it's under Domain Names/push.
    That function actually pushes a domain name from one account to another (popular with ebayers). It doesn't move the whole account. They could of course set up a new account with the new reseller and then use the "Push List" function to push all their names from the old account to the new one. But this is getting kinda off topic

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    Excellent uptime record

Simon - the results are fictitious since the site is NOT LIVE and is thus on the resellertest.enom.com TEST SERVER

I've got to check my notes and the current code to see what we managed to do on setting pricing.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast