How do apps get included in control panels?

I wonder if anyone knows how programs/scripts get included in control panels? For example, Miva Shopping Cart is automatically included with cpanel. How did Miva get included? Do you think they get paid every time a cpanel licence is sold?
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

With most panels you'll find, anything like what you're mentioned is almost 100% open source / already available free to the public. I know there are a few exceptions, but I don't think Miva & CPanel is one of them.

I've never seen Miva included by default with a cpanel build, ever.

Are you thinking of RedHat Interchange? Or perhaps Agora (previously commercie.cgi)

Hmm, perhaps my memory is failing me. A while ago I had a reseller account that used cpanel, and I know that a shopping cart was included. I thought it was Miva, but I could be wrong.

So you're saying that scripts/apps that come bundled with control panels are open source. So the reason they're included is so that with a few mouse clicks, it can be installed effortlessly, rather than going through the whole install process?

That's too bad. I am exploring different marketing avenues for software that I own, and I was hoping that control panel ValueApps could be one of them...

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I said *most* definitely not 100%
    I know Miva is interwoven with quite a few itself, and there are other exceptions to this rule.

If you have a proposal for one of the players involved (like Darkorb: Cpanel), then bring it to their attention. If it makes sense financially and the potential is there, it's not unheard of for commercial software to make it into automation software.

It's just that open source is much, much easier to wind into these things because there are no strings attached.

Thanks for your advice. YEs, I've been making a list of all the control panels out there. I plan on sending a proposal. If, by chance, they were interested, would it be on a "per licence" basis that they would pay? If so, it's also hard to figure out what kind of price tag to put on something like this. Hypothetically, if a program normally costs $80 retail to end-users, how much would you charge cpanel for the use of the software per licence?

I'd almost gurantee they'd do this in bulk, perhaps per server. The control panel company may say we estimate on a server of 400 to 600 accounts that on average 100 accounts may use your software's facilities, and then they would purchase some type of license agreement with you that would include a (probably largely discounted) 100-pak lisc of your software, per server.

That's one of the most common situations I've run across....