Question Phpwebhosting... Too good to be true?

Chec this: PHPwebhosting . This sounds too good to be true. This cannot be viable, can it?

AClaire

They are...phpwebhosting sucks. I used to be a client of thiers and really disliked their support/service. The control panel is less than average. Good luck.
    So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." --Bill Murray Caddyshack

What's up with the unmetered this unmetered that...?

Yea try transfering 50 gigs with them. If your site is legitiamatly pulling that much traffic with a large website you will see that they will ask you to move and its definitly not unmetered because they watch the accounts. I know from first hand and never hogged resources but I know other sites were checked.
    So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." --Bill Murray Caddyshack

Thier bandwidth is actualy 5GB
    This forum officially ****ing sucks

Hmmm thats interesting. So if you had a site that transfered over 5GB a month thats it? That seems fine for 9.95 a month but why dont they just say 5GB a month instead of unmetered? Where do they list this roly? Im interested. Thanks

phpjames, the reason they dont list is it, is because they want to lure customers into their den.

I was hosted with them for about a year. I liked them. Uptime was very good. Support was decent. Not the best, but then again it wasn't costing an arm and a leg either. For a small site that isn't going to consume mass resources, phpwebhosting is fine.

edude,
    Ya I feel that way to. They advertise something false or unclear. I dunno.

Originally posted by edude
    phpjames, the reason they dont list is it, is because they want to lure customers into their den.
    yep that just about sums it up!

i was with them for 11 months. i had a great experience. great uptime, speed was excellent. i was pushing 40+gb a month with my site for about 6 months straight and they actually wrote me to let me know they've moved me to a less crowded server so there would be no problems with my site. a definite plus.

it was a few months later that i decided myself to move to a dedicated server of my own. they were a great help to me and i was happy to use them.

i think they're perfect for a small-mid size personal project. obviously not enough for the type of people that want everything for $10 a year.

Originally posted by roly
    Thier bandwidth is actualy 5GB
    Can you prove this? Please tell. Let me guess..... a friend of your great Aunt Sally who was in town a few years back told you this.... right?

PS - Not to start another damn 'un-this' host bash or debate, but unmetered does not equal unmonitored. Big difference. Some host run unmetered as "not to be billed". They will get you at resource use or web space. Large traffic sites fill up logs rapidally for example. Of course they are going to monitor BW. They want to cacth the idiot (like some people who come here) and try to screw with them because they offer unmetered.

Originally posted by phpjames
    They are...phpwebhosting sucks. I used to be a client of thiers and really disliked their support/service. The control panel is less than average. Good luck.
    Oh... no... I am not going to host with them... These prices and features make me immediately suspicious...

I use them for one site (I set it up before I had a dedicated server), and it's been fine. The site hosts a image database for a project in Los Angeles. I've only had any reason to use support once (I generally don't use support from companies), and that was to get SSH access, which they did without any issues. Their control panel is basic, but it gets the job done. If you need a decent place to host the site with PHP and MySQL support, it works just fine in my experience.

I only have one complaint in my experience with them so far, they say on their website:
    "Our servers are all located in our data center in Fort Lauderdale, Florida."
    yet the server my site is on a Hurricane Electric connection (presumably in their data center in San Jose), which is quite a ways from Florida (although it isn't really an issue to me, being that I'm on the West Coast, and HE is a good center to be in), it just bothers me between the discrepancy on their site and reality (not enough to actually cancel the account at this point though).

Was with them for about 6 months. Not a bad experience. Support was ok (their response times were good enough but I found they sometimes couldn't get straight to the point at hand). The 5 GB limit used to be buried deep in their TOS and that's what made me leave (I don't like deceptive practises like that).

Uptime and speed couldn't have been better. Customer support always had a relaxed attitude, meaning requesting additional mySQL databases etc. was never a problem and gladly taken care of.

My first host ever. Never a bad experience. But as I moved onto my next 10 hosts throughout the years. I realized how much inferior there control panel was.

Otherwise, pleasant company to be with.

Originally posted by phpjames
    Hmmm thats interesting. So if you had a site that transfered over 5GB a month thats it? That seems fine for 9.95 a month but why dont they just say 5GB a month instead of unmetered? Where do they list this roly? Im interested. Thanks
    Its in the FAQ

My only experience with phpwebhosting.com was when a spammer was moving from them to us and I called to get the full story. Left two messages, no response. Shrug.
    John Masterson
    Former Hosting Company Owner

I've had an account with them for about 3-4 months. The first 30-60 days were great...support requests were never answered in less than 12 hours...pretty damn good for $10. I launched my site two weeks ago, and now they're nowhere to be found. 5-7 days to respond to any support issues, including the daily issue of the /TMP partition being 100% full (which in turn causes mySQL errors, among other things). When they do answer this issue, they either say, "we're currently investigating this issue", or "we just looked and it's fine".

The whole reason I'm on here tonight is to find a decent site host...I have pretty low expectations, it's hard to disappoint me this easily

don't use them

I've hosted with them for the past 6 months and their uptime fair at best. Transfer speed is good, control panel is okay (recently updated), support response time is fair etc. etc. but to give you an idea, my site was down for 19 of 24 hours yesterday
    --edit-- just to be fair to to them, they said that this was a problem with their statistics, and that the site was not down all day. i know that there were some outages, and I still say it's out about 10 hours a month though./edit--
    and is unaccessable probably 10 hours of each and every week. I have no idea what the problem is. The sites in their customer showcase are almost always up--I've asked to be placed there so maybe they'd take better care of me. 3 months ago they said they would next time they updated the section...

I do not reccomend them. I'm looking at something like one2host.com right now (or other budget suggestions are appreciated).
    Last edited by skunksaredum; 07-23-2002 at 10:02 AM.

Hi All,

First, we usually don't try to monitor/interferer with the discussion here. However I had to stop by today to update a abuse report and thought I do a search on our name. I thought I might as well take a moment to post some replies (I hope no one is offended and views this as interfering!).

Anway, our transfer limits - I think we very clearly mention that our limits are un-metered and NOT unlimited. Unlimited is only possible if the host is :

a.) lying
    b.) throttling
    c.) sitting behind a fixed size link (ie. a single non-burstable connection)

Regarding 5 gigs, I think we actualy have 5 listed in one place and 10 listed in another. Both are listed as guidelines. But the fact is that we have many clients running 10, 20, 30 gigs a month. We do not encourage this and I'm sure that quite a few are going against our guidelines.

Why do some get asked to leave while others don't? Usually database usage, if your site is using a lot of bandwidth but pretty much not using a lot of resouces it is easy to "slip by". However if you are using a lot of bandwidth AND a lot of resources (and thus the server starts to get high loads, etc.) we WILL notice. Usually during the investigation of why the server load is high we'll also notice the bandwidth and decide that there is no way that your site is going to get by on a shared/virtual account. We do not sell dedicated so this is never done as a way to "up-sell" a person to a higher priced account.

If anyone has a problem with our explanation of bandwidth (please read: http://www.phpwebhosting.com/host_details.html#transfer), let us know. In fact, let us know what you think the page should read and we will do our best to update it to what you think is fair and true!

Regarding server location (florida versus he.net) - this is just a matter of the site being out of date. We have servers in both locations (in fact we also now have a third location). lookup the ip for www.phpwebhosting.com (it is in florida). Look up the IP for some of our newer servers (mech.phpwebhosting.com is one), it is in freemont, CA (he.net). Both are great datacenters and I'm sorry if anyone thinks we were trying to be deceptive!

To close, let me say this - if you have any gripes with our service, homepage, etc. - Let us know! To be honest, I think our page is one of the most straight foward around - we've always tried very hard to give "straight-talk" on our pages. Tell us what you think needs improved and we'll work to make it happen!

Have a good day all!

Best Regards,

Greg
    phpwebhosting.com - affordable, quality hosting since 1999.

I've been with phpwebhosting for I think around 2 years. They were my first webhost and I have never been more pleased with their services.

Their support is excellent, and I always get a response within 24 hours. If my wallet was a bit fatter, I would still be with them - but sadly $10/month is a bit too expensive for me now for my traffic (I don't even go over 1/4 gig bandwidth per month) ^^;;