How to cut out the middle man, if possible?

OKay I was wondering how web hosting companys went about in registering their domains? How does the process work and hwocan I go about in cutting out the middle man (hosting company)?

What we've done is opened an account at dotregistrar.com and pre-purchased MANY "domain credits" in order to get good pricing. They have good prices but you have to give them your money up front, their interface isn't the greatest (but is improving - at least they are working on it!!) They have an API (poorly documented = lots of work for us) to integrate everything into our site. Unless you plan on registering > 50 domain year credits (50x1 year or 5x10years) it probably isn't worth cutting out the middle man (me). We charge more than we buy them for but we have to cover the cc charges and we "value add". For example, we provide email forwarding, domain parking or url forwarding etc. If you don't need those services then there are cheaper places to register ...

Here are a couple good questions - what is a fair price for a domain name, and what should you get with it. Do you like godaddy's bare bones approach, and does anyone pay the extra $10 or whatever for url redirection??

Dave
    Glide Hosting
    Domain Names and Web Hosting
    Multi-processor, SCSI RAID, redundant, fast support
    www.glidehosting.com

lol dave, your getting cut off

J/K

Ya, that WAS long - I'm new here! Like that's an excuse! It was late? Ummm... ya, I'll stick with that.
    Glide Hosting
    Domain Names and Web Hosting
    Multi-processor, SCSI RAID, redundant, fast support
    www.glidehosting.com

We use dotregistrar and recommend them.