Los Angeles

Question DNS Issues POP3 Not able to reply (Using Plesk)

I have a 14 day trial Plesk Control Panel.

I had a hostname defaulted to a domain1.etc that the name servers were not propagate to the colo center
    of (

Although I have 2 other domains that were transferred few days earlier and when I did a name server
    whois on it they do / did propagate but when I ping will not ping back. That sounds correct/okay.

I now add a site of 1 of the 2 domains to plesk and have all/everything setup okay but when I ping
    it will not ping back. Do I have to wait 1-2 days to take action.

I had plesk installed twice in the past. One on RH 7.3 and installed the *.sh program file
    and last night using the Plesk RPMs. Everything worked out fine except I wasn't able
    to reply to email. I could send stuff via webmail local but replying I would get mail.domain.etc
    host not found..

I now reinstalled the control panel and as a default I put a domain that has its DNS propagate
    to the new colo center's dns. No ping, no traceroute for the host not being is that normal.

I followed Plesk stuff and clean O/S and such; just wondering if anyone out there uses
    Plesk and had issues like this.

Email error I get:

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    Delivered-To: [email protected]
    Received: (qmail 9046 invoked by uid 48); 2 Jul 2002 20:44:28 -0000
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: test
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:44:28 -0700 (PDT)
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    User-Agent: IMP/PHP IMAP webmail program 2.2.7
    X-Originating-IP: 66.xx.xx.xx

The original message was received at Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:42:33 -0700 (PDT) from []
    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <[email protected]>
    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    550 5.1.2 <[email protected]>... Host unknown (Name server: host not found)
    Thanks for any help.

You lost me when you said "I had a hostname defaulted to a domain1.etc "

Los Angeles

Originally posted by Shyne
    You lost me when you said "I had a hostname defaulted to a domain1.etc "
    When you install Plesk for the first time and you go to http://ip:8443 you login with default user/pass and than you have to click on I agree and Do not show this screen next time.

It's a AUP TOS or etc..

Than it asks you for hostname. The default RedHat hostname I had was enigma. I pressed enter but will not work/go next. I had to put an actual domain. So I ended up putting a "" and took it. even though I did a whois in shell and showed that the:

Domain servers in listed order: / MDS-NS3.MDSTV.COM

It was/might be wrong. I went to and did a name server search and it had the old <---- real NS (part of 3rd party DNS services and MX.

I than had everything / everything working except writing pop email to a domain I parked let's say I would write to [email protected]. Not work. I had pop3 and smtp enable and open upon auth.

I also logged in via or and logged in fine... username good and active. Did a compose and sent it to myself. I got it instant. I than went into Outlook and did send/receive and got it. I hit reply and after 4 minutes or so I get the error message above.

I thought about it for the entire day and though might be DNS.

I now want to test other domains that the name servers point to the real data center. The dns propagated seemed / based on dns lookup.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled PSA 2.5 and default hostname was a domain that dns were in place but this awhile back for few days I couldn't ping nor can I ping right now. the domain is

I am sort of stuck I think I am at the time to go to the colo center, reformat and put RH 7.3 back again and not 7.2 and give someone access to install it for me; but everything I installed looked fine....

I've got 4 domains pointing to the:
    (these guys only have 1 ns server)
    and when I ping no response. If I was to add the rest I am wondering if by tomorrow or within 24 hours my server or the dns will pick it up...

Hope this makes sense.. it's late, too much time spent on it... no results. Very close to buying Plesk as well. Might wait till the 5.0 comes out this month/next month. Right now I have a 14 day trial.