Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soda -vs- Pop

Illinois = pop
    Wisconsin = pop
    California = soda, pop or "beverage"

For the record, read the product container. It usually does say "soda". Faygo red pop says "Strawberry soda" last time I checked. In this example, "Faygo Red Pop" is the name of the product, and "Strawberry Soda" is the description of the product.
    Soda by itself is only conbonated water, and yes, you can get plain "soda water" as it has now come to be known.
    The old time fountains used to mix this soda water with flavouring, creating a much better drink, many of which were unique. It all depened on the fountain guys imagination and taste buds.
    Ok now pour some in a glass and hold your nose over the glass. Feel the bubbles as they pop about 2 inches in the air?
    If you breath in, you can almost taste what flavour it is.
    Cool!
    Darn, I'm thirsty now.
    I'm going to get myself a pop.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

It's cocola, or a Knee High Belly Wash here in the real South....

Mi crooked letter crooked letter i ,crooked letter crooked letter i, humpback humpback i........
    Thanks,
    James Taylor

I used to live in Washington state, and they said "pop" up there, but I could never get myself to say it. It just sounds too silly to me.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Pop... What the hell is pop?...

Point of Presence?

Something that runs on port 110?

Obviously I'm a soda (actually, I call it Coke...) guy.
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Here, in the rest of the world, we say "drink"!
    Code:
    a> Would you like drink?
    b> yes please!
    a> what would you like, we have coke, pepsi, fanta, oj, h2o
    b> (if he/she is American) - a soda-pop please
         (everyone else) - coke, pepsi, etc...

or normally here in the UK, it's Juice.

Coke if i want cola (coke, pepsi, etc)
    otherwise pop but i'd jsut say the kind of pop i want.
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Personally, I specify the beverage to avoid confusion, so I will usually ask for a Dr Pepper. Most people here in Texas will want a coke (which is usually actually a Dr Pepper). My grandmother calls them a pop, though she has lived all over the states, so obviously her dialect has more northern roots. I also know of someone who asks what kind of sodee water you want (yes long e). Living in the city which was the birthplace of Dr Pepper renders most people's preference as Dr Pepper, so that dispels much confusion. Most restaurants here do not carry Pepsi, and I am likewise depressed when traveling that many do not carry Dr Pepper out of the south.
    Justin Bachus
    BlastHosting, LLC - Professional web hosting at a low price with
    PHP, MySQL, FreeBSD, and more!
    http://www.blasthosting.com

Originally posted by akashik
    and yet it doesn't seem anyone's calling it a 'soft drink' like they should be

Greg Moore
    Soft drink all the way! That's what I've always called it

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Originally posted by jw
    Personally, I specify the beverage to avoid confusion, so I will usually ask for a Dr Pepper. Most people here in Texas will want a coke (which is usually actually a Dr Pepper). My grandmother calls them a pop, though she has lived all over the states, so obviously her dialect has more northern roots. I also know of someone who asks what kind of sodee water you want (yes long e). Living in the city which was the birthplace of Dr Pepper renders most people's preference as Dr Pepper, so that dispels much confusion. Most restaurants here do not carry Pepsi, and I am likewise depressed when traveling that many do not carry Dr Pepper out of the south.
    Most restaurants here in Australia don't carry Pepsi, unless they're owned by Tricon Restaurants (who are owned by Pepsi)... *thinks of Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, etc*

I don't actually know of any restaurants that carry Dr Pepper (besides those corner take-away shops). Most restaurants here do, however, carry coke.

--Shaun.
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Ugh I'm sorry if you guys in Australia have Taco Hell. That is such nasty food. A disgrace to tasty Mexican food.
    Apexware Hosting Solutions
    •• www.apexware.com
    ••• LOW Cost Budget Hosting
    •••• www.rockbottomhosting.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12