Thread: Soda -vs- Pop

Soda -vs- Pop

Great survey:

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~almccon/pop_soda/

(Pop, here in Michigan!)

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Damn that conclusion! I think pop sounds stupid, haha. It's either soda or coke to describe it for me... if I end up living somewhere where most people pronounce it "pop", I think I am going to go crazy

I wonder why it is that, though? If you view the statistics page, more people say "soda" overall than do "pop" - that doesn't make any sense? Or maybe I should read the whole page rather than just scrolling to the bottom and submitting my response

LOL
    The first time I ever heard the term pop for a soda was when I went to the midwest.. I was like "Do I want a pop?" I had no idea what they were talking about until the friends I was with all got a soda.

If people who say "pop" are much, much cooler... then how come you only hear people in the movies refer to soda as pop when they are in some small scary little town? hehe

I wonder why, in the statistics, the most "popular" states use the word "soda" to refer to carbonated beverages? California, Florida, New York.

and yet it doesn't seem anyone's calling it a 'soft drink' like they should be

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Up here in Minnesota we say POP. POP POP POP! This caused confusion when we went to a soda state. They did not recognize "pop"! But here in pop state minnesota, we DO recognize "soda". There is no soft-drink term discrimination in Minnesota.

Except maybe for "Coke". THAT'S A BRAND NAME! ONLY SAY THAT IF YOU WANT A COCA-COLA! They had better be misunderstanding this SURVEY! MORONS! UNLESS YOU ARE READING THIS POST! I would go insane if I heard this conversation:
    "I want a Coke."
    "What kind?"
    "Pepsi"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
    and. more. people. say. coke. than. soda. or. pop.

The only place I have ever heard the term "pop" was in west virginia.. and well that should explain everything..

I'm glad Cal-Tech is doing something to attract attention to this nation wide problem of pop vs soda.
    The first few times I traveled across the county, I had to do so via the northern tier states. Because in the south, all they had was soda, and I needed some pop to drink.
    Now I just drink coffee. And they seem to call it the same thing everywhere.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Now I just drink coffee. And they seem to call it the same thing everywhere.
    Ahhhh... then we must move on to the irritation of "expresso" vs. espresso.

Originally posted by Rotifer
    . . . . . expresso" vs. espresso.
    What's that?

There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

soda pop, duh!

So in Texas they say Rum and Coke, they could actually get...

Rum and 7-Up?
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

pop in the uk but i normally call it coke or dr pepper etc

I made a crazy discovery! Minute Maid is a brand of Coca-Cola, so saying "orange Coke" wouldn't be as wrong as I originally thought if you're actually asking for Minute Maid Orange Soda.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I'm in Texas, and we all call it all 'coke'. Someone asks you, what do you want to drink? 'Coke.' 'What kind of Coke?' 'Dr. Pepper.' I cringe when I hear someone say pop or soda, but soda isn't as bad.
    • Apexware Hosting Solutions
    •• www.apexware.com
    ••• LOW Cost Budget Hosting
    •••• www.rockbottomhosting.com

POP! -- also from Michigan. I remember being down south a few years back and being laughed at when calling it "pop" instead of "soda".
    Mark Blair

Umm... In Sweden we say "Läsk". Only the snobs call it "Soda" over here.

Originally posted by APEXware
    I'm in Texas, and we all call it all 'coke'. Someone asks you, what do you want to drink? 'Coke.' 'What kind of Coke?' 'Dr. Pepper.'
    *shudder*

I most often use the term "soda."

Soda

LOL appletreats.. It's funny how weird things seem the things people do and the way people talk when you travel around. Around here you get laughed at for using pop, but I know us Texans get made fun of for a lot of things. We've practically made up our own language.
    •• www.apexware.com

Hawaii and Texas are Soda, and when I moved back to Indiana, I had MANY funny looks. Theres no billboard..."NOW ENTERING THE POP STATE". How was I supposed to know!?

"Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com

I cannot believe that there are still areas actually saying 'pop'. I thought that word went out in the 60's. Anyway-- I say Coke when I want a Coca Cola/Pepsi. And say Soda when I want something other then the drinks mentioned above (ie Sprite, Mountain dew, ect ect).
    iHosts.com >> Web hosting forum
    I own a webhosting community hosted at Dominet.net
    Thank you DomiNET

ah, the age old debate, I grew up in NE, there it is pop!!

Illinois = pop
    Wisconsin = pop
    California = soda, pop or "beverage"

For the record, read the product container. It usually does say "soda". Faygo red pop says "Strawberry soda" last time I checked. In this example, "Faygo Red Pop" is the name of the product, and "Strawberry Soda" is the description of the product.
    Soda by itself is only conbonated water, and yes, you can get plain "soda water" as it has now come to be known.
    The old time fountains used to mix this soda water with flavouring, creating a much better drink, many of which were unique. It all depened on the fountain guys imagination and taste buds.
    Ok now pour some in a glass and hold your nose over the glass. Feel the bubbles as they pop about 2 inches in the air?
    If you breath in, you can almost taste what flavour it is.
    Cool!
    Darn, I'm thirsty now.
    I'm going to get myself a pop.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

It's cocola, or a Knee High Belly Wash here in the real South....

Mi crooked letter crooked letter i ,crooked letter crooked letter i, humpback humpback i........
    Thanks,
    James Taylor

I used to live in Washington state, and they said "pop" up there, but I could never get myself to say it. It just sounds too silly to me.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Pop... What the hell is pop?...

Point of Presence?

Something that runs on port 110?

Obviously I'm a soda (actually, I call it Coke...) guy.
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Here, in the rest of the world, we say "drink"!
    Code:
    a> Would you like drink?
    b> yes please!
    a> what would you like, we have coke, pepsi, fanta, oj, h2o
    b> (if he/she is American) - a soda-pop please
         (everyone else) - coke, pepsi, etc...

or normally here in the UK, it's Juice.

Coke if i want cola (coke, pepsi, etc)
    otherwise pop but i'd jsut say the kind of pop i want.
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Personally, I specify the beverage to avoid confusion, so I will usually ask for a Dr Pepper. Most people here in Texas will want a coke (which is usually actually a Dr Pepper). My grandmother calls them a pop, though she has lived all over the states, so obviously her dialect has more northern roots. I also know of someone who asks what kind of sodee water you want (yes long e). Living in the city which was the birthplace of Dr Pepper renders most people's preference as Dr Pepper, so that dispels much confusion. Most restaurants here do not carry Pepsi, and I am likewise depressed when traveling that many do not carry Dr Pepper out of the south.
    Justin Bachus
    BlastHosting, LLC - Professional web hosting at a low price with
    PHP, MySQL, FreeBSD, and more!
    http://www.blasthosting.com

Originally posted by akashik
    and yet it doesn't seem anyone's calling it a 'soft drink' like they should be

Greg Moore
    Soft drink all the way! That's what I've always called it

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

Originally posted by jw
    Personally, I specify the beverage to avoid confusion, so I will usually ask for a Dr Pepper. Most people here in Texas will want a coke (which is usually actually a Dr Pepper). My grandmother calls them a pop, though she has lived all over the states, so obviously her dialect has more northern roots. I also know of someone who asks what kind of sodee water you want (yes long e). Living in the city which was the birthplace of Dr Pepper renders most people's preference as Dr Pepper, so that dispels much confusion. Most restaurants here do not carry Pepsi, and I am likewise depressed when traveling that many do not carry Dr Pepper out of the south.
    Most restaurants here in Australia don't carry Pepsi, unless they're owned by Tricon Restaurants (who are owned by Pepsi)... *thinks of Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, etc*

I don't actually know of any restaurants that carry Dr Pepper (besides those corner take-away shops). Most restaurants here do, however, carry coke.

--Shaun.
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

Ugh I'm sorry if you guys in Australia have Taco Hell. That is such nasty food. A disgrace to tasty Mexican food.
    •• www.apexware.com