hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting Talk Tutorials : Domain Name Tutorials : Dreaming to sell your domain for millions?

Forum Jump

Dreaming to sell your domain for millions?

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Name Tutorials Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 04:52 AM

Dreaming to sell your domain for millions?

Each and everyday you hear stories about some name getting thousands of dollars from the buyer. You also jump right into the game of domaining and hope for that lucky day to arrive when someone might get interested in your domain name. Right?

How to get started?

The main problem with newbies over here is that they do very less research and start spending their money on useless names. After 6 months or a year their moral goes down the drain and they are back where they were but with lighter pockets then before.

Some people get into the trademark mess. They get sued by trademark holding company and then they show their temper openly on forums and other message boards.

Some can't even monetize their domains to get the renewal fees for the upcoming period.

If you have 4 or 5 domains then you can surely shed the amount from your own pocket. But when the figure goes around 100's and 1000's it is very hard to renew the domains for the future.

My advice to newbies would be to stick at 25 to 50 domains. They can earn for 10 or 20 renewals per year if your names are below average. Some domain might get you more revenue and it can fill the gap for you. Ultimately the main thing is to not lose a domain for nothing. You should at least get its registration fees from it. This will not start downfall of your domain empire which you want to build. 1 dollar loss is also a big loss if you have more then 100 or 500 domains in your domain portfolio.

So what kind of domains you should buy?

Choose wisely on which name you are putting your money. Three characters .com's are creating a lot of chaos right now in the market. Their prices goes sky high in domain name aftermarkets. Generic dictionary words are also long gone. New TLD's are not so stable right now, dot-com still rules the internet. You might get lucky in some other TLD's but I wouldn't advice you if you are new in the game.

4 letters have 456976 combinations from AAAA to ZZZZ. Of them only around 5000 are left. Which is of course the garbage.

What do we do now if we still want to get out feets wet in this?

Look for some guy who is willing to sell his domain for less. There are plenty of places to find this kind of domains available for sale at lower prices. You can go to forums specially created for this kind of discussions. If you don't know any then here is the one Nameslot.com Go there look for some domains which might fall under our category and then approach the seller. Here also lookout for trademark issues and blacklisting for that particular domain. You can generally get this info from doing a whois search for that domain here Whois.sc

Keep your eyes and ears open for latest news. It might shed some light and you might be the lucky one who grabs that name for just registration fees and sell it for 1000's. Work on them and get every cent out of them. This will keep you in the game. The main thing over here is not to win the game but to be in it and be till the last.

2005 Nameslot.com

Last edited by bear; 11-17-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:30 PM

Thats for your time and effort, maybe you can explain a bit more?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Web Hosting Master Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatya View Post
Thats for your time and effort, maybe you can explain a bit more?
I doubt it... looks like an advert for his site... The one url he posted is to a forum.... not even a good forum.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Web Hosting Master

I don't think this thread will remain open for very long.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Web Hosting Guru

There's some solid advice in this article that has some truth behind it. I don't think it should bedeleted, but I wouldn't be surprised if they removed his links.

Any domain you own should pay its own "rent." If it doesn't, you are doing something wrong.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:24 AM
WHT Addict

Good info here. Everyone has that dream of selling that domain for thousands of dollars..Some people make it happen and some don't. It's not always about the overture score, google results, or anything like that. Who would have guessed 6 years ago MySpace would be where it is today. Some names will sell just because of their brandability.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

What a boring thread! Becoming a millionaire with a domain name! That's a good one.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Community Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgm View Post
I don't think this thread will remain open for very long.
It's been open since March.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:13 AM
WHT Addict

Goof topic. Even i have few domains in my pocket will good names and i would like to sell it off.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM

4 letters have 456976 combinations from AAAA to ZZZZ?

Crikey! no wonder nobody wants my crappy LLLL.coms

Old 04-08-2008, 12:52 PM
WHT Addict

nice info for newbies like me ;p

Old 04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Did anyone hear the recent story of the guy who sold www.pizza.com for something like 2.8 million? No sh*t.. unbelievable he bought it in 1994 before the internet became popular. I wonder all the things we can do TODAY which might create such a profit in 10 years.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:17 PM

i bought windowzxp.com hopefully that will mean something

Old 04-27-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateServe View Post
i bought windowzxp.com hopefully that will mean something
Copyright alert

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Listing 2014-07-31 05:23:59
123-reg Launches Domain Reselling Service on Global Domain Marketplace Web Hosting News 2013-06-19 14:48:10
Domain Registrar Namecheap Launches SSL Reseller Program Web Hosting News 2013-01-31 15:30:14
Web Host Melbourne IT says it May Sell Individual Units After Nine-Month Low Web Hosting News 2012-11-26 11:53:07
New Heart Internet Feature Helps Customers Sell Unwanted Domains through Control Panel Web Hosting News 2012-09-05 15:17:37