Bandwidth Providers

I am not sure if this is the right place for this, so admin please move it if necessary.

We are located in Spokane, WA and are looking for bandwidth providers. We have been looking at people like ELI, Savis, Internap, and Cogent. Does anyone know of any other providers that have POPs in the Spokane Area?

If you do please email [email protected]

We are looking to expand more into the dedicated server market, but with our current providers Verio, and Time Warner Telecom we cannot offer high amounts of bandwidth without charging quite a bit more than everyone else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Alvin Slocombe
    Alvin Slocombe
    E-Insites - "Web services, simplified."

I know verio is pretty cheap. Ive heard $50Mbps ( at OC12 level ) and $95 or less at 100Mbps level. TWTelecom is also "decently" cheap from what I've heard but not down to the level of cogent/verio Internap is wayyy more expensive that verio etc but yolu get what you pay for. For quality look at Internap, Genuity, C&W. Just my humble opinion.

if anyone knows.... tetraboy will

Yeah, I guess we could stick with Verio, but when we work out pricing using a bandwidth calculator it is virtually impossible for us to offer even 100GB with servers at $99 per month, and most people are offering 400GB for that same price, so that is why we were looking into alternatives.

We gave the whole. reliable connection thing a run, and it seems no one is really interested in reliability, and are more interested in cheaper prices, for high bandwidth. We are getting orders at our current ptices, but we also do know if we were able to offer more bandwidth with the servers we would be getting a whole lot more orders that we are at the moment.

Thanks for the input.

Regards
    Alvin Slocombe
    Alvin Slocombe

If you want cheap try Cogent, Aleron, TWTelecom, Verio, Epik. Dunno if any have pops. What level of bw are you buying at?

Spokane, WA (2 hours from here ) has very few POPs. In fact I think Verio is the only POP there, I live in Idaho and unfortunately, we don't have a single POP available. My suggestion: You want your own DC/NOC move to Seattle .
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

We seriously thought about moving before, but we have way too much equipment to move now There are a few POPS here in Spokane, Verio, Eli, and like two others. We already have our own DataCenter, its not huge, but its adequate for what we are doing, if you are familiar with Spokane, we are downtown in the US Bank Building, where all the POPs are located. Where about in Idaho are you comphosting?

Regards
    Alvin Slocombe

Lewiston :p... small town, but moving to CDA pretty soon (half an hour away from Spokane ). Little more room for growth over there.

True Spokane does have a few, but companies like Cogent, MFN and Aleron/Telia are in Portland and Seattle.
    - Adorno

What's wrong with your current prices ? In fact once we get everything moved this summer I may be paying you a visit .
    - Adorno

I have been to Lewiston before. I go to the Lewiston Roundup every year

As a matter of fact I will be near by this week, in Princeton ID for 4th of July.

Small world eh?
    Alvin Slocombe

"but when we work out pricing using a bandwidth calculator it is virtually impossible for us to offer even 100GB with servers at $99 per month, and most people are offering 400GB for that same price"

I wouldn't say most. Don't let the one company with a lot of outside resources (RackShack) get you into a business plan that you're not happy with/can't maintain. That's like trying to beat K-Mart prices, if you provide junk you may be able to, but do you really want to do that?

Originally posted by dbodner
    "but when we work out pricing using a bandwidth calculator it is virtually impossible for us to offer even 100GB with servers at $99 per month, and most people are offering 400GB for that same price"

I wouldn't say most. Don't let the one company with a lot of outside resources (RackShack) get you into a business plan that you're not happy with/can't maintain. That's like trying to beat K-Mart prices, if you provide junk you may be able to, but do you really want to do that?
    yeah i would have to agree... trying to get into a price war with rackshack could really hurt your business.

You also have to take into consideration that most users won't even use half of their allotted bandwidth.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Consider getting long haul to seattle and get some bandwidth from a carrier hotel ( The westin building )

Thanks for all the replies. We are not really trying to get into a price war with Rackshack, but at least trying to compete with most others out there. We posted our deal in this forum, and someone inquired back on the forum about our prices, and everyone that replied to him said we were priced too high.

We never want to offer the same deals as Rackshack, but are trying to offfer at least 100GB for a lot less than we are offering it for right now.

Regards
    Alvin Slocombe

I understand the sentiment of trying to offer the best quality prices, and there's always an attempt to try to lower them. I just thought it sounded like you were saying to yourself "RackShack can do this, so my plans aren't good enough". You just have to find your happy medium.