Question Can I move a forum to a new host?

Some friends and I have a phpBB forum which we currently pay to have hosted. I recently built a server that we would like to move the forum to in order to save some $$$. Is there any way to easily move our forum (including all current data) to the new server or would it require starting over from scratch on the new server?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to web hosting, so I have no clue what is involved in something like this.

TIA!

Some friends and I have a phpBB forum which we currently pay to have hosted.
    Where do you have it hosted? Do you have a control panel where you can access phpmyadmin and perform mysqldumps?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

The server you built - are you planning on running it at your house? Or do you plan on co-locating it in a datacenter?

You would need to grab the MySQL database, and have a way to transfer the actual files themselves - FTP should work. I imagine that whatever host you're with now offers phpMyAdmin. Is there any way to check on this?
    Daniel B., CEO - x90x.net
    Xoomsite.com is now x90x.net

I don't see why not. Just export the database to an SQL file and you can move it where you want. You say you're building a server though, yet you say you don't know much about hosting? That doesn't sound like a good combination.

How many people, on average, are online at any given time (e.g. 50, 100, 1000)? That will really help in determining what you need. If you're small-time, like maybe 500 members, but at most 50 active connections, you can get away with shared hosting.

Larger forums will definitely require their own server (dedicated hosting) because forums are server-intensive, and if you're that popular then you can afford to shell out $80+ per month on a server.

Start small and progress and you grow in size and traffic.

I am 99% sure I know the answer to this, but I will ask anyway.

I have a client that has their forums at one of these free forum hosting sites. They do not allow the client access to the database, therefore the client can never move all of his/her posts to a paid hosting account. Is there anything that can be done about this, or is it set in stone per say.

It IS in the TOS that they do not allow a MySQL backup of any kind, just the free forums hosting.

Any input?

Thanks,

Cor

If they don't allow you to access a backup or the SQL file (which contains all the data), then you're screwed. That's probably why they have that clause in there.

There _might_ be a way to do it (e.g. data mining), but you would be best to move somewhere else so you can have access to that kind of information.

Also, it depends on the software that they are running. Most forum software has internal backup options, letting you save the proprietary backups (meaning, backups that would only be able to be imported to the same application). If this option isn't available, and they don't let you grab the SQL file, you're SOL.

Yes. You can move your board. Thats the easy answer.

If you are only a few friends on the board, why not pay 1 or 2 dollars a month to keep it hosted.

You'll save yourself some headaches, and probably even the money to host, as it costs to have a server running 24/7

If you still want to go, you need a LAMP installation Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. But you can download this in a ready package and install it from a CD.

Give us some more info. The more specific, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by rotocub
    Some friends and I have a phpBB forum which we currently pay to have hosted. I recently built a server that we would like to move the forum to in order to save some $$$. Is there any way to easily move our forum (including all current data) to the new server or would it require starting over from scratch on the new server?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to web hosting, so I have no clue what is involved in something like this.

TIA!
    Ah that's easy.. I just did that (moved my whole forum from my ISP website to my new webhost). You should've checked phpbb forum for great instructions on doing that.. but I'll post here.

First does your server Apache allows greater than 2MB upload for the database? If not, you'll need Bigdump (http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php). This great php script allows you to upload your backup database to your new mySQL database server without any problems (especially if you're limited to the 2MB upload).

But instead of me explaining the whole detail, let me give you the link so you can read and do it:

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=374

ALSO, there are two ways to backup your database...
    01) Is to use that phpBB "backup" option in the ACP.
    02) Is to use the phpmyadmin to backup (I think you need to create a SQL query to do it though.. forgot).

I used the forum backup option in the ACP for phpBB.

Hope this helps!

- LL

Sorry, I might be missing something here.

Can't you just access your cpanel, generate a full backup and the log into your own server's cpanel and restore the full backup? That would move the whole site plus phpbb forum.

Unless you dun have cpanel on your new server? Which I recommend you install one as it will help your fully utilize the new server in the future.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by Fixago
    I don't see why not. Just export the database to an SQL file and you can move it where you want. You say you're building a server though, yet you say you don't know much about hosting? That doesn't sound like a good combination.

How many people, on average, are online at any given time (e.g. 50, 100, 1000)? That will really help in determining what you need. If you're small-time, like maybe 500 members, but at most 50 active connections, you can get away with shared hosting.

Larger forums will definitely require their own server (dedicated hosting) because forums are server-intensive, and if you're that popular then you can afford to shell out $80+ per month on a server.

Start small and progress and you grow in size and traffic.
    I don't actually handle the administration of the site, so I don't know all of the details at this point. Just wanted to get an idea if it was something we should even pursue.

On average, there may be 2 or 3 people on the site at any given time. The most ever at once was 22. It's a very small group of 38 registered members. And membership is very restricted. Even though anyone can come across the forum at any time, they can only see one public forum and if someone registers, the account must be approved before access to the private area is granted.

The server (which is already built) will be physically located in my house.

BTW, I do know that our admin backs up the DB roughly every other day or so. We got hacked about a year ago and lost everything. So yes, we should have access to the DB data.

Regarding the price, it's costing about $100/year. Yeah, not a huge amount in the overall scheme of things, but if we have the resources to do it for free, why not?

Sure... If you have phpbb, you can backup the database from the phpbb admin panel.

1. In the phpbb Admin Panel...
    2. Left Column
    3. General Admin
    4. Backup Database
    5. Tick, "Full Backup"
    6. Click "Start Backup" then save the file somewhere to your computer.
    7. FTP into your account, and download all files to your machine.
    8. Transfer your files to the new server.
    9. Setup DB, and edit "config.php" as necessary for phpbb.
    10. Execute your database backup in your mysql application of choice. (phpmyadmin, mysqlfront, shell, etc)
    11. Good to go.

I'm not going to touch onto the comments posted by everyone else as they are extremely valid points.

Quote Originally Posted by rotocub
    BTW, I do know that our admin backs up the DB roughly every other day or so. We got hacked about a year ago and lost everything. So yes, we should have access to the DB data.

Regarding the price, it's costing about $100/year. Yeah, not a huge amount in the overall scheme of things, but if we have the resources to do it for free, why not?
    Make sure your ISP allows it. I've seen a few people start up sites only to get a letter from their ISP saying to cease immediately.

Thanks for the input everyone. Not sure exactly what we'll be doing at this point, but at least I know we have options.

The server (which is already built) will be physically located in my house.
    Have you ever ran a server from your house before? Not only will it most likely be exceedingly slow as it relies on the upstream cap on your connection, but your ISP most likely does not allow it unless you pay for a business plan. The business plan will often cost more than hosting itself. Furthermore, you may need a static IP if you do not have one already, most ISPs will charge you extra for this.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

17. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com