offering webmail on site

Howdy,

I have been looking into offering webmail on my site. There are two major sites I found that offer this service for your site for free (they do put some banners up). I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with either or can recommend anything on this.

Does your existing host offer webmail? Depending on the number of users, you could always use your existing web hosts webmail program if they provide one. Most webhosting control panels integrate some sort of webmail system.

You could also investigate some addon type of scripts. You can usually find something that will meet your needs at http://www.hotscripts.com
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

I have an addon allowing users to give away mail boxes however im not sure if im going to release it as spam would be chaos. If anyone with ensim is intrested in it contact me.
    Patrick Schrader

yes

Yes my hosting does offer webmail but I am not very good with scripts, just a webdesigner and all.

The two pages I found were
    i-p.com
    zzn.com

I am worried about the spam issue but here it wouldn't be on my server.

The problem with zzn is they have a lot of banners and I'd like more room to show updates and advertise my own things.

i-p.com seems cleaner but will people want my domain followed by [email protected] as their email.

Has anyone tried offering webmail on their site and found many to sign up for it?

Re: offering webmail on site

If you are talking about third party off-site providers- I've used everyone.net for a webzine of mine since early 2000 and have found them to provide a decent service. They split banner exposure 50/50. So you can put your own banners up into rotation if you like.

I've used oemmail.com for a seperate website. Oemmail seems to have more features than everyone.net except that your users only get 3MB of storage for their mailbox...

checked it out

thank you for your reply.

I took a look and everyone.net doesn't seem to show a free account and the other one doesn't say what the free account comes with. Have you found webmail to increase your popularity and do these free services fix any problems.

I am looking to do this for free, I would like something like a 50/50 banner option.

Schucks.. When I first signed up for everyone.net it was free. But ney I looked and as you said it is free no more...

You can find the features list of oemmail here: http://oemmail.com/domain_basic_free.htm

I actually didn't use these email services to increase the popularity of my sites. So I can't really comment on that. For the webzine I just provided the mail service to the people that contributed to my site (mainly writers). There weren't any problems to fix- it was just a preference.

I have used zzn for a couple of years now on my site. The service is decent but the support is non-responsive. (Thankfully there haven't really been too many problems I ever had to find support for.)

You don't get any ad space in the email pages themselves, but you can set up your own log in and registration pages instead of sending people to theirs and you can set the exit page when they log off to be one of your own pages too, and you can put ads on those pages if you want to. You also have the ability to send newsletters to all of your free email members. You don't use your own domain name, you make one up yourself and if it isn't already in use by someone else, the email address will be @yoursite.zzn.com

Hope that helps some.

Hey man,

Your best bet is to try bigmailbox.com if you dont want mail on your servers. i-p has to be your domain so people won't be able to access your site just the portal services. good luck
    Regards,
    Santiago Yajan Cruz
    -----------------------------------------------
    [://Insert ancient Chinese saying here ...]

That looked like a great site, thing is they are no longer offering it for free it looks like

I haven't desided if I should use my domain or not, will I get plugged for spamming & loose my domain if someone uses one of the address's to spam?

zzn has a lot of banners on the page and you can do almost no custom when it comes to adding your own text and you can only have one banner.

I don't really understand i-p with their portal. I signed up for an account and I don't see anything about a portal of links. Unless they mean it differently then I understand it.

This mailnow package is quite good:

http://www.waytotheweb.com/

so far

Well so far, one of the free webmail sites I wrote an email to for help on something and its been over 24 hours... hmmm