Webhosting Startups

I am currently looking into starting to host my own websites and once I'm good with that and feel competent to run my own server to 'maybe' sell some spots to local people who want websites.. and then who knows where it goes from there.

What I want to know is currently I have a 1.5/256k DSL connection with my local phone company Sprint. Is this alright to start off with webhosting?

What did everyone else start hosting off of? The max DSL in my area is 640/640 which is $150/month but something that I don't really need right now. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.
    Adam Baack
    [email protected]
    Christian Penpals - http://www.cpals.net/

Oh yeah, I just thought of this.... I know that a lot of you host in the big NOCs and stuff, but do any of you actually have your own servers at your home/office with the connection going to them? This is how mine would be setup.
    Adam Baack
    [email protected]

Bad Idea

First, if you are successful, you will outgrow your connection so quick...so only works if you are unsuccessful.

Second, most dsl providers providing service for home will cut you off quickly if you start using the kind of bandwidth hosting requires.

Third, while 1.5/256 is good for connecting to the net to access it, it is exactly the opposite of what you need for a server where most of the traffic is downloading and will be limited to the 256.

The advice stays the same....start by reselling....graduate to dedicated at a good data center...use your home machine for learning.

Re: Bad Idea

I agree a 256 Kbps upstream rate would be to low, however the 640 Kbps is a good starting point. As to outgrowing, it really depends on what type of hosting company you want to be. A "penny host" ($14/year type bull - 200 MB/10 GB) or a normal host ($10-20/month - 100 MB/3 GB). Not every place has cheap bandwidth ($.20-1.00 per GB), where I live, it's $6-10 per GB! Not every hosting company is powered by $99 dedicated servers or $99 co-location deals, on *oversold* connections!

A home DSL package is a nono. Get a package that allows servers, gives you static IP addresses etc etc. Make sure to get a package that allows lots of traffic. I believe the best the TELCO here can do (DSL wise) is $500/month, 640 Kbps upstream, 8 IPís and 40 GB transfer. $10 per extra GB!

If you plan on reselling, stay away from "penny host" packages. Get a package with a good company, not some fly by two bit company. Spend the extra few bucks, itíll save you problems later on.

Re: Re: Bad Idea

Originally posted by the elf
    I agree a 256 Kbps upstream rate would be to low, however the 640 Kbps is a good starting point. As to outgrowing, it really depends on what type of hosting company you want to be. A "penny host" ($14/year type bull - 200 MB/10 GB) or a normal host ($10-20/month - 100 MB/3 GB). Not every place has cheap bandwidth ($.20-1.00 per GB), where I live, it's $6-10 per GB! Not every hosting company is powered by $99 dedicated servers or $99 co-location deals, on *oversold* connections!

A home DSL package is a nono. Get a package that allows servers, gives you static IP addresses etc etc. Make sure to get a package that allows lots of traffic. I believe the best the TELCO here can do (DSL wise) is $500/month, 640 Kbps upstream, 8 IPís and 40 GB transfer. $10 per extra GB!

If you plan on reselling, stay away from "penny host" packages. Get a package with a good company, not some fly by two bit company. Spend the extra few bucks, itíll save you problems later on.
    My local business DSL is listed for 640/640 for $174.99 with 8 ips. A tad less than the $500/month.
    Adam Baack
    [email protected]

Re: Re: Re: Bad Idea

Originally posted by cpals

My local business DSL is listed for 640/640 for $174.99 with 8 ips. A tad less than the $500/month.
    The $500/month here is a 4Mbps/640 DSL link. Actual registered IP's with ARIN, SLA etc etc. The full meal deal. I don't think they charge for extra IP's as long as you can prove you need them as they listed UNLIMITED IP addresses then changed it to 8. lol

Re: Webhosting Startups

Hi there,

Originally posted by cpals
    What I want to know is currently I have a 1.5/256k DSL connection with my local phone company Sprint. Is this alright to start off with webhosting?
    Well, that 256k link is going to be overloaded pretty soon. So I'd rather suggest to colocate your server at data center with a fast 100 Mbit link :-)

Regards, Moritz

256k dsl is way too slow... colocation would definetly be the better option for you, cogent bandwidth isn't so expensive aswell.

If you already have a home DSL line that's being unused, reselling it for some cash isn't a bad idea. That's if you don't mind not making thousands a month on it.

Originally posted by bambenek
    If you already have a home DSL line that's being unused, reselling it for some cash isn't a bad idea. That's if you don't mind not making thousands a month on it.
    That was my view on the thing. Right now I'm not looking at hosting hundreds of sites off of just a 256k connection. It's just going to be like 5-10. And I know someone who said they would colocate me if I ever needed to... so the options are open.
    Adam Baack
    [email protected]

personally if i knew my host kept their server in their house, i wouldnt buy from them.
    I like the security of the big data centres, power pack ups, fire precautions etc

Adam,

If you're only hosting your own sites and are looking to expand your knowledge of server management then I'm all for it. Years and years ago (ha, I'm old!) I used to run a couple sites from a dedicated server on my cable line with no difficulty.

Just make sure the server is dedicated to the web, has it's own IP, and you're all set. Once you're comfortable with that you can graduate to colocation or a reseller package with preexisting knowledge of how to maintain servers

Sincerely,

-Matt

To keep prices low I would suggest starting off as a reseller, there are loads of great deals for resellers.

Originally posted by edude
    256k dsl is way too slow... colocation would definetly be the better option for you, cogent bandwidth isn't so expensive aswell.
    nah... depeding on the number of sites and how much traffic a 256K dsl line COULD be fine...

This is a really bad idea...

With how cheap servers are to lease - if you aren't willing to spend some money - you won't make any either. Wait until you have to market this site - that is the real expense.
    Joe - HostingWave.Com / TXINSURANCE.COM
    http://www.hostingwave.com
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.