how do you set the hostname in linux?

hi how do you set the hostname in linux?

im a complete newbie, and its taking a while to adapt

Edit the /etc/hosts file from the command line.

# pico /etc/hosts

Add the line but do not remove the first line.

Control O Control X
    So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." --Bill Murray Caddyshack

man hostname
    /etc/hostname

Woops correct me if I am wrong.
    So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." --Bill Murray Caddyshack

Each Linux distribution has a different way of setting the host name, and if you're using control panel software, that can complicate things.

I'm not sure about other control panels, but if you're using Cpanel, you should change the host name using WHM.

Otherwise, In Red Hat Linux, edit /etc/sysconfig/network and change HOSTNAME to whatever you want the host name to be. For example, if you want the host name to be my.host.name, the line should look like this:

HOSTNAME=my.host.name

It is also a good idea to add the host name to /etc/hosts. Edit /etc/hosts and add a line with your server's main IP address followed by the host name. For example, if your server's main IP address is 127.142.128.35, the line should look like this:

127.142.128.35 my.host.name

Then on the shell, type hostname followed by the host name and press Enter. For example:

hostname my.host.name

That should take care of it. If you're a control panel, restart the control panel software, or reboot.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Just enter this:
    Code:
    hostname google.com
    reboot
    This forum officially ****ing sucks

hehe, why do you need to reboot?