Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but...

Customers shouldn't *EXPECT* training from their ISPs or hosting providers. Once you identify this the customer may realize where the line is being drawn.

Every business has the right to deny service to a customer as long as that service is not under a restricted contract.
      0 Not allowed!

Many people have pointed out that with a little care and handling she might turn out decently.

On the other hand, you have zero legal obligation to host her (hopefully you have in your TOS that you have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason). You're in business, you're not a charity outfit, and if you are using so much resources (time, energy, effort, anger) it may not be worth hosting her, right?

So, I'm not advising you either way; it's your choice, but I would take both points into consideration (that she might turn out to be a good customer, or she might ending up being a losing deal).
      0 Not allowed!

One person mentioned that hosts and ISP's aren't supposed to 'train' their customers but no one really expounded on it.

When you buy a car do they teach you how to drive? No. When you buy a gun do they teach you how to shoot? No. (although maybe they should )

As webhosts, it is not our responsibility to teach our clients how to design webpages, upload them, or even setup an email client. It is our responsibility to make sure the server is up and running and that they have email, ftp and http running.

Frequently asked questions are great to help iron out some simple problems with email, ftp and other simple issues. If they still don't get it just politely explain that you'll have to charge for that kind of support.

I've seen hosts do this in the past and frankly I can't blame them. A goot tech support rep can get $15/hour here (which ends up costing the employer $22/hour!) - that's more than many customers pay in a month for hosting. The costs just don't justify troubleshooting everything the client needs.

I try to answer as many questions as possible for clients, but in the end I have the right to tell them that I have to draw a line at certain things, and if everything is working on our end then they're going to have to pay for further support. I always try to help the customer but some customers just want to call you every 5 minutes no matter what is wrong. "I can't pull my website up." - "Can you pull any website up?" - "Well, no." LOL

Otherwise they could run you right out of business Anyway, good luck and be sure to let us know how you handled her!
    beley
      0 Not allowed!

Drop her..

A simple: "If you don’t believe we reply to your questions fast enough, or provide the level of service you require, we would recommend (blah host – or – looking for a host that can meet your needs)." email, with a refund (less what she used) should do the trick

There is a limit on how much a web host can put up with, and from what it seems, she passed that a long time ago! Maybe letting her know it’s time to go, or at least smarten up a little will put her in place.

I for one would absolutely refuse to put up with that for a few dollars per month! Let someone else deal with the problems. It's not worth it.
      0 Not allowed!

Have you thought that possibly you are being "reviewed" for a mag or a host directory? Unlikely but possible.
    When we get clients like this, we absolutely go out of our way to make them happy, but in the process we politely identify what we are and are not responsible for. Difficult to do but usually worth it in the end. Often results in repeat business and additional support fees.
    Cheers
    ••• Mark Castle •••
    ••• www.captivereality.com •••
    ••• domainlabs.uk •••
    My views are my own and not those of my company.
      0 Not allowed!

Please feel free to offer her one year- Free - 100 Meg hosting on my dedicated servers - just to get her out off your hands and hair - no kidding.
      0 Not allowed!

First, I do not recommend "firing" any clients who have not broken any TOS. It's just bad business. Now, if she's rude and abusive, then I would simply refund her payment in full and bid her good luck (but tell her why you are refunding her $$ -- that it's her abusive tone). But be clear: abusive is not asking questions and calling your sales toll free number. Abusive is swearing and shouting at your staff, mail-bombing your support address, etc.

That said, if you really want to get rid of her, just ignore her and she'll fire you... eventually

I agree with those who recommend patience and caring for this customer. I have a few like this and once you get over that initial aggravation, they become dedicated clients. On occasion I slip in suggestions of books or online learning courses to let the person know that they need to spend some time and money on educating themselves.

And if none of the above works for you, send her my way! We'd be happy to take all the customers you don't want off your hands

Good luck -- and let us know how it turns out!

HS.c
      0 Not allowed!

I don't see anything wrong with refunding the customer and telling her bon voyage, good bye
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by edude
    I don't see anything wrong with refunding the customer and telling her bon voyage, good bye
    Its certainly a decision that the business owner has to make for themselves. You have to make a cost-benefit analysis and do what's right for your company.
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.
      0 Not allowed!

I mean this customer could also be causing problems amongst the rest of your customers, such as unrest.. etc..
      0 Not allowed!

Another idea would be to point her to some online newbie/tutorial sites, it sounds like she could do with spending some time to learn the basics, and/or in a carefully worded polite email let her know that you do not provide computer/internet training as part of the basic service but would be happy to do so at your hourly rate of $x/hr.

Ok, the last part might be a last resort But I think you'd have to draw the line somewhere to keep your own cost (in terms of the time spent giving support to her) to an acceptable level. Its a fine line to walk huh.

Might be worth writing an extensive newbie FAQ on setting up a site with your service and include links to other resources and tutorials. If after going through that your customer still has questions then at least you know they covered the basics.

Just some random thoughts
    Myros
    http://www.neuralhq.com
      0 Not allowed!

good idea myros
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think you have any reason to suspend her account, even though she is a pain in the ass. She hasn't violated any of your policies. You should state in your TOS "Being a pain in the ass is subject to removal or suspension of your account."
      0 Not allowed!

This is kind of late but thanks for alerting me about this issue. Do you guys think it is a good idea to add something to TOS about not complaining to staff/owner/support? Well not exactly complaining but, "complaining with unacceptable language". Heh, I know some companies that just cut off the phone if you are doing this=)

What do you guys think?
    Orlando Magic--> 05-06 CHAMPS
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by iamdave
    I don't think you have any reason to suspend her account, even though she is a pain in the ass. She hasn't violated any of your policies. You should state in your TOS "Being a pain in the ass is subject to removal or suspension of your account."
    i think i am going to add that to my TOS! heh j/k
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Should I terminate this user?

Originally posted by WorldWide
    My question is this: is it acceptable to terminate this user? She has not violated our TOS, and I would offer a complete
    You have the right to deny service to whomever you want, for pretty much whatever reason you care to dream up.

Pay attention to the posts in this thread by hostpath.com and Lurleene - they are right on the money.

-Bob
      0 Not allowed!

we just had the same thing with a new reseller he claimed to have been there and done that, but could not move over his first child account cause he couldnt log into his web host mgr

he was asked to reread his setup info - 4 times duh!

some people are lazy, want to be spoon fed, and dont read

this customer requested a return phone call today--NOT

he can wait till monday, maybe he will learn to read by then....

when they dont read the easy to use setup instructions we very rarely show any mercy and we cut off this type of behavior at the first sign of trouble.

normal support is normal we are happy to help
    laziness or refusal to read is not tolerated

for those of you hand holders that feel compelled to teach the newbies ftp or read for those that refuse to

you can have our fallout

we dont want newbies
    we dont want lazy spoon feaders

and yes we do just fine without those $ too!!
      0 Not allowed!

Many customers get upset because of communication problems. I'm sure most of us have had the customer that doesn't know their browser from their "Yahoo"

Usually the patience pays off when you educate the customer, not always, but usually.

It doesn't really matter if you don't like the way a customer asks you questions, certainly there's nothing wrong with a customer asking a million questions.

It's also relative since some customers may be better suited to a particular company and their policies as opposed to another. Your customer from hell may be my typical customer, and vice versa.
      0 Not allowed!

Well I know I am just adding to the post but we too get these types of customers all the time. The best thing to do is have a good FAQ section and try to be as helpful as possible and make sure each time say "that's a great question and it has come up before so we added it to our FAQ section to help get you the answers even faster" (hint hint)

We have a guy every month without fail right after his CC get charged for his hosting he complains that our server was down according to his monitoring service. Funny thing is we run internal and two external monitoring services from two different parts of the US to make sure we know if a server is down long before the user ever would know. Every month he has the same "proof" that his server was down for days at a time... Last month he told me that his monitoring service said that his server was down for almost 47 hours straight.. whatever.. I told him if my servers were down that long I would be out of business....
    I explained that even though some hosting companies will claim 100% uptime and some can even get really close that the server might be running fine but somewhere between his ISP and the our DC something could be down and that happens but not for 47 hours.
    Anyway I told him that he seems unhappy and maybe it would be best if he found a hosting company that he would feel more comfortable with and move to them and I offered to give his monthly fee back. He changed his tune really fast and said NO I like the service.
    Anyway. Stick with her.. If it continues lay it on the line and explain you are the hosting company and not a teaching company. Give her some links to places that will help her along and if that does not help offer to let her go elsewhere and offer to give her money back.
    Usually those type customers will be cool once they think that you don't really need them. We love our customers, I still have the very first customer I ever signed over three years ago.
    Some are more work and some you never hear from.. Even it all out and you might have 2-3 questions a day

Okay that's it for me

My 2 cents.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12